What is the name of that board game?

nosenuggets45

In the episode where Malcolm has his surgery, at home Hal, Reese, Dewey, and Lois are playing a board game which is "called" March and Conquer. Do any of you know what the real game is actually called if it exists? Thanks. And man I miss MITM soo much. I wish they would release the DVDs.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
It's definitely the non-trademarked name of Risk. Funny how they can have Tropicana orange juice sitting on the kitchen table and wear Puma clothes, but can't say Risk because it's trademarked, isn't it?

nosenuggets45

I just looked back at the episode and I'm pretty sure it isn't risk, unless the game was based of risk and specifically made for MITM. The peices are actual army men and tanks. Thanks

AlexTheMartian

It's definitely the non-trademarked name of Risk. Funny how they can have Tropicana orange juice sitting on the kitchen table and wear Puma clothes, but can't say Risk because it's trademarked, isn't it?

maybe it was harder to get the rights to use Risk. but thinking about it, maybe they wanted to not have them specifically endorse a board game by having the characters actively engaged in playing it. the drink and clothes is just random, and is a different thing all throughout the series, however that board game was a one-time deal (unless they played it a 2nd time and I forgot)

and the whole Tropicana and Puma just adds to the reasons this series is so expensive to release on DVD >_<. I wish I worked for the distribution company =\

Last edited:

nosenuggets45

Well, here is a screen cap of the game and pieces.
vlcsnap-2372561.png

Last edited by a moderator:

MalcolmFun

In that close up of the board it looks exactly like Risk to me. Like Monopoly, there are different sets or quality boards you can buy. Some had wood pieces, some plastic, some had numbered units others with horses and men like there. I think there the men are 1, the horse counts as 5 and the tank as 10.

The only thing that doesnt match is the dialoge. Reese said artillery materialized on his border when he went to the bathroom but there are no specifc artillery pieces in risk. Also I think Hal talked about Antarctica which is not on the map. There are other more complicated board war games then Risk with more intricate units. I think Malcolm was just being generic in terms of the plot.

I played Risk a lot as a teen. The clock stikeing midnight was not a barrier to starting a new game! Yes im a geek.

Puma clothes did seem to appear in the show alot. I wonder if it was just random or actually product placement? What is interesting is Puma sponsors Frankie's racing gear.

MITM97

I know it's an old thread but I'll answer the question anyways the game they are playing is called March and Conquer. Hopefully this answer will help somebody.