The ink cartridge farce....

W

we_dye

On Sunday, I upgraded my printer by puchasing a new model from a well known PC hardware store in UK. The make begins with the letter C and is also a scanner and copier. It costed me for £40.00. The box included the device and two "free" ink cartridges: one black and one color.

Whilst in the store I puchased two spare cartridges. The black costed £15 and the color one was £20. Thats a total of £35.00.

Maybe I'm overlooking something here, but printer and two cartridges = £40.00. But just two cartridges is £35.00. It may be just me, but I don't get how they price these things. Next time I need to replace the ink, instead of buying the cartridges, i should just buy another whole printer again for £40.00, keep the two cartridges and this way I'd get to keep a spare printer and supporting software for £5.00. Of course that would be greatly wasteful, but the pricing of replacement ink is stupid comparred to the cost of the actual electronic device.

D

Deleted member 1693

Odd. The printer... is five dollars? :eek:

I had to replace my black ink cartridge last week. My printer still smudges stuff up. I need one of those little bottles that sprays air into machines and gets rid of the dust... or something. Around here, things are pretty reasonably priced. But I wouldn't know if anything had changed, as my mother buys those sort of things.

AlexTheMartian

Odd. The printer... is five dollars? :eek:

I had to replace my black ink cartridge last week. My printer still smudges stuff up. I need one of those little bottles that sprays air into machines and gets rid of the dust... or something. Around here, things are pretty reasonably priced. But I wouldn't know if anything had changed, as my mother buys those sort of things.

i dont know how you converted, but Google told me: UK£ 40.00 = 79.4 US$

D

Deleted member 1693

LOL I actually completely forgot to convert. I didn't even see the signs. Thanks for clearing that up.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Most companies do give you the printer practically free nowadays; the ink is where the moeny is at, especially with ink jets. But remember the "free" ink cartridges are probably only going to be about half full, or less.

W

we_dye

Most companies do give you the printer practically free nowadays; the ink is where the moeny is at, especially with ink jets. But remember the "free" ink cartridges are probably only going to be about half full, or less.

Thanks for clarifying Mr Yardgames. Those printer selling dudes are real pirates. Printer ink must be like liquid gold, snake oil or some other rare commodity. Would you happen to know if laser printers are more cost effective?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
They're more expensive when you first buy them and the toner is usually just as expensive if not more expensive than a comparable ink cartridge but it lasts many times longer and the printer is many times faster and more dependable.

cadmiumgold

yeh ink is so expensive, my mum got 2 cartridges for 40 quid the other day so you actually had a £5 saving we_dye :tongue:

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I would have no idea what the heck a quid is except I watched Deal or No Deal the other night and there was a girl from Ireland on and she used that word and they had to explain it. So now I know what a quid is. :)

D

Deleted member 1693

You're giving us Americans a bad name!

jk, jk. This is an amazing opportunity for J, though.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
And you think I won't capitilize on it? Bwahahaha!

This is a case study in an AP Student, they can tell you all the causes of the Civil War, yet they can't tell you what the world thought of the civil war, yet they can tell you the immediate and long term repercussions. They can tell you the major aspects of a world culture, yet ask them to blend in said culture, and they will fail with a capital PH.

D

Deleted member 1693

This is a case study in an AP Student, they can tell you all the causes of the Civil War, yet they can't tell you what the world thought of the civil war, yet they can tell you the immediate and long term repercussions. They can tell you the major aspects of a world culture, yet ask them to blend in said culture, and they will fail with a capital PH.

Very deep.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

I'm got a 5 on the AP US History test. And what you said doesn't apply to me. Speak for yourself. :)

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
It applies for you even more! Study all you want, books smarts are something entirely different than street smarts.