Malcolm in the Middle Writers in the WGA Strike

AlexTheMartian

Front Page Post

A few of those who were writers for <em>Malcolm in the Middle</em> have been featured in news articles during the term of this WGA (Writers Guild of America) Strike, or have posted their own articles or blogs on the subject. David Sacks and Jay Kogen are two such individuals.

Reuters <a href="http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSN1063576420080110" target="_blank" title="Reuters">reported</a> on January 10th that Writer David Sacks is finding time between his current executive producer duties on Comedy Central's <em>The Root of All Evil</em> to pen "Vigfus," a parable about Vikings who end up in modern-day New York and find the city too gentle. "It has been a great outlet during the strike," said Sacks, who with his writing partner Brian Ross recently turned in a second draft.

Writer Jay Kogen have wrote a long <a href="http://community.livejournal.com/wga_supporters/191545.html" target="_blank" title="Fans For The WGA">letter</a> on January 6th to those taking part in the strike as well as the strike's supporters. He speaks to the writers about how they should not listen to the AMPTP (Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers) until they are ready to deal, which he believes they are not at this time.

For more information and an overview of the WGA Strike, check out the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007%E2%80%932008_Writers_Guild_of_America_strike" target="_blank" title="Wikipedia">entry</a> in Wikipedia.

Source: <a href="http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSN1063576420080110" target="_blank" title="Reuters">Reuters</a>, <a href="http://community.livejournal.com/wga_supporters/191545.html" target="_blank" title="Fans For The WGA">Fans For The WGA</a>

Last edited:

Amigo22

Super Moderator
If they'd released the shows on DVD, and not just in the US, they'd be making the extra money they want. Then there'd be no need for online file-sharing, which I read the other day is part of the reason for the strike.

While the strike is on the stations are airing reruns. If they showed reruns of a particular show five nights a week, in 4 - 4 1/2 weeks they'd have shown a full season. And if they're showing seasons that aren't released on DVD, people are going to record the episodes. Writers and production companies don't make profit from Blank CD packs and cases. And there are disadvantages of recording them yourself too - editing out ads, unexpected power cuts, tapes / DVDs running out of space and they stop recording, etc.

People wouldn't have to go through that :shit: if we could go and buy the DVD.

AlexTheMartian

I do not think this have to do much with online file-sharing, but maybe it does in some form since DVDs are part of the issue, but i also hear it has to do with streaming shows online and other such techniques, and I think i heard writers are not seeing a penny from broadcasting or selling the shows over the internet. and the production companies don't want to give up their profits so that they give the writers their fair share. so all we can hope is that negotiations settle things, but that might take a while.

At my job I think we are currently am split between no work on certain shows, and extra work on other shows (I say 'I think' because I took a break from my job for the holidays and wont be back until the upcoming weekend.) some shows just decide to go on hiatus, other shows are trying to get every help wherever they can get it to keep their shows alive, which means possibly more graphics made by us so they can fill time, etc.

When I go back to work, I will have to take the bus past the location most of the FOX people are picketing, lol

Ryebeach

You're right, Alex. A major sticking point between the WGA and AMPTP is that of "New Media" which basically is tv shows and movies streamed or viewed online or through "on demand" type services on cable or satellite. Currently, writers receive nothing when we view a TV show online from say, ABC.com or the like. The producers maintain there is no money to be made in this regard. The writers stance is that, okay, if there's $0 to be made in "new media" then why not incorporate a percentage deal into a new proposal. For example, 4 percent of $0 is still $0, no? The studios wouldn't have anything to lose. The fact of the matter is that there is money to be made in "new media." For example, if we watch an episode of "Grey's Anatomy" on the abc.com, we have to sit through at least five "commercial" breaks where we see one or two ads for a particular product. Those advertisers pay the studios for each viewing, who in turn do not currently reimburse the writers. The writers are asking for a fair share of those profits.

As far as DVD sales go, the writers are asking for an increase in money earned per DVD sold. They currently earn four cents per DVD sold and wish to have that increased only four cents, to eight cents per DVD sold. Keep in mind the previous deal of four cents was made back in the day of VHS, long before DVD came along. When DVD's first began selling, the old deal was transferred from VHS to now incorporate DVD's as well but the reimbursement rate remained the same, even though sales grew significantly as more people purchased content on DVD's than they ever did on VHS.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
The DVD issue has been resolved AFAIK. They are gunna get more money, its just new media thats the sticking point.

Ryebeach

The DVD issue has been resolved AFAIK. They are gunna get more money, its just new media thats the sticking point.

What do you mean, TJ? How has the DVD issue been resolved? :confused1: I don't believe there have been any official agreements between the WGA and AMPTP on any issue unless they have occurred today.

Before previous talks broke down last year, the studios weren't opposed to increasing residuals for DVD sales, however they contended that it was fair to apply the same formula for DVD sales to that of "new media." The WGA disagreed, arguing "new media" is the way of the future and more money is to be made from that than will be made from DVD sales.

I would tend to agree with the writers. Online viewing or streaming of TV shows especially seems to be more and more popular as the years go on and renting or buying DVD's, while still currently popular, seems to slowly be losing it's appeal.

Last edited:

Ryebeach

I haven't kept up to date.

The most recent talks between the WGA and the AMPTP broke down in early December and no new talks have been scheduled. Both sides aren't budging in their terms, but they aren't talking and thus, negotiating, either. Not a good combo...

Layoffs have begun with Warner Bros. announcing they are cutting staff beginning next week and ABC studios announcing today they are laying off writers. It's all very sad.

Last edited:

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Rye, I wonder whose side you're on. :D:D One movie studio--a really small one and I forget it's name--agreed to all the demands last week and they rehired a few writers to restart production, but this week the networks are basically declaring this TV season unsalvagable so basically what you see is what you get--that is, we've basically seen almost all the episodes we have so we're stuck with reality shows, game shows, and repeats indefinitely until the strike is resolved.

MalcolmFun

Does it really make sense to get a few cents every time someone watches something? Why dont they just simply negotiate for better up front salary at time of production. It seems that to many parties sticking thier hand into the pot at the time of sale is exactly what is stopping Malcolm from coming out on DVD. If Fox is at the point where they can not even make money by releasing it then I have no real sympathy for more people wanting more of a share.