Writers Strike in the US

Amigo22

Super Moderator
I just found out about this a few days ago. The article I saw mentioned them being unhappy about episodes being available on the Internet. Yeah, dump the blame on the viewing public, it's all our fault that the production companies are so slow to release the DVDs :rolleyes: And it's just going to :shit: people off who are affected by it.

D

Deleted member 1693

Let me guess, this was inspired by Doctor person's recent thread?

I agree, but the writers are also ticked because they get a measly few cents every time something they wrote (on DVD) sells.

People want free stuff and the right to use it... I don't think that's ever going to change.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Amigo you misunderstand - US tv netwroks put a bunch of thier show on the internet for free with advertising (for US only) and writers want money for that - currently they get nothing. Nothing to do with filesharing or streaming sites. It nothing to do with the viewing public.

Also they wanted more money for DVD sales - which has been pretty much resolved in discussions.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Right, as TJ mentioned the writers realize that they aren't going to get anything from BitTorrent and other file-sharing sites and that's not their battle to fight. It is pretty serious though; at this point basically every show is totally out of new episodes and we're only about halfway through the season. November is sweeps month, which means that the networks are rated and it determines how many people watch a given show and thus how much advertising revenue that show deserves until the next sweeps month (February) so all the networks used the few remaining shows they had left in November. The Guild went back to talks last Monday but they didn't resolve anything. So we're watching reality shows and repeats here in America. :D

What is particularly amusing to me is that the entire CBS News production team is unionized in the Writers Guild, which is the group that's striking. So CBS essentially had to hire all new un-unionized writers just to keep their newscast going!

D

Deleted member 1693

Ouch...!

It's a good thing I don't watch TV much anymore.