Frankie Muniz's 'My Sexiest Year' [Premiere][Gets US Distribution][Review][UPDATE]

Ryebeach

Front Page Post

Frankie_Muniz_-_My_Sexiest_Year_MITMVC_.jpg

My Sexiest Year
, starring Frankie Muniz, is set to have its world premiere at the 2007 Hamptons International Film Festival, in New York, on October 18th.

From the film festivals official website, comes the most in-depth plot description we've had of this film to date.

Jack Stein (Frankie Muniz) is a 17 year-old who lives with his sick mother and grandfather in Brooklyn. He wants nothing more than to be a writer, but when his mother’s health takes a turn for the worst, Jack is sent to Miami to live with his father, “Zowie” (Harvey Keitel), a small-time “handicapper” who gives horse racing tips for a living. Not much of a parent, Zowie has shirked his fatherly responsibilities for most of his son’s life. Nonetheless, Jack is excited about the prospects of bonding with his dad in sunny Miami.

Jack quickly befriends Mark, a local rich kid, whose excess drug use helps him get through the pressures of teenage life in Southern Florida, where the in crowd only cares about how much money your parents make, who’s coming to your pool party, and of course, whether or not you’re getting laid. As Jack tries to navigate the waters of his new home-- while trying to connect with his eccentric father--he meets Marina, a famous model who is in town for a photo shoot. The two quickly bond. Jack reminds Marina of her younger brother, who died in a motorcycle accident, and Jack just can’t get over the fact that such a beautiful woman is interested in him. But just when things seem to be going right, all goes terribly wrong. Jack must figure out how to become a man, if he is ever going to finish writing his memoir.
As the film is just starting to make the festival circuit, I'm sure it will be appearing at many more festivals throughout the rest of the year and into 2008 before hopefully securing a distribution deal. We did report previously that THINKFilm had picked it up however we are unable to confirm this.

Source: hamptonsfilmfest.org

This sounds like quite the departure from Frankie's role of Malcolm and his role as Agent Cody Banks. It will be interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing him in a dramatic role such as this. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

MalcolmFun

This sounds like quite the departure from Frankie's role of Malcolm and his role as Agent Cody Banks. It will be interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing him in a dramatic role such as this. :)

It sounds like a chick flick! Could still be good though. I think you have to do serious dramas to really get recognized by the Hollywood establishment as a good actor. Rember Frankie also did My Dog Skip, which is actually a really good drama.

I'm curious if anyone knows - when a movie is in limbo like this and hasnt been released yet, have the actors already been paid? Not that it probably matters much to him I'm just curious how it works. Studios really spend possibly millions to secure major actors and not even have a distribution plan? I suppose that is what happend with Blonde Ambition as well.

Ryebeach

I'm curious if anyone knows - when a movie is in limbo like this and hasnt been released yet, have the actors already been paid? Not that it probably matters much to him I'm just curious how it works. Studios really spend possibly millions to secure major actors and not even have a distribution plan? I suppose that is what happend with Blonde Ambition as well.
Well, it's a complicated process. This film is an independent film, meaning it is being made without one of the major studios (FOX, Warner Bros., New Line, Paramount, etc.) attached, meaning this is not a studio produced film and thus had a lot less money to work with in making this film. Because there isn't a studio attached, there is no distributor in place, and no distribution plan in the works as of yet.

Basically, an independent film of this nature is picked up by a production company in the development stage. That production company more often than not is a small company with relatively few films under their belt. That production company secures the financing to pay for getting the film made and for paying the actors. Once the film is made, it is "shopped" around at festivals in hopes of finding a distributor. The distributor can be a major one (FOX, MGM, Warner Bros., Universal, etc.) or it can be a smaller one (Samuel Goldwyn, THINKFilm, Anywhere Road, Kino, Magnolia, etc.). Once that occurs, a distribution plan (wide release, limited release, Exclusive release or direct to DVD release) is created and it goes from there.

But to answer your question, yes the actors have been paid even when a film is in limbo, as far as securing distribution goes.

Major studios would not spend tens of millions to secure major actors without a distribution plan in the works. The reason it is easier for them is because the major studios also have distribution arms of their company's, keeping everything in-house, so to speak.

AlexTheMartian

Rye is right. I had somewhat an idea of the process, except i did not really know about the distribution aspect.

Some major studios have a division of their company that handle production and/or distribution of independent film. Like "Fox Searchlight Pictures" for 20th Century Fox, "Picturehouse" being a joint-venture of New Line Cinema and HBO Films (both of Time Warner), and "Warner Independent Pictures" for Warner Bros. Entertainment. For example, Warner Independent Pictures will finance, produce, acquire and distribute feature films largely budgeted under $20 million.

My favorite Indie films seem to come from those 3 major ones.

Ryebeach

Some major studios have a division of their company that handle production and/or distribution of independent film. Like "Fox Searchlight Pictures" for 20th Century Fox, "Picturehouse" being a joint-venture of New Line Cinema and HBO Films (both of Time Warner), and "Warner Independent Pictures" for Warner Bros. Entertainment. For example, Warner Independent Pictures will finance, produce, acquire and distribute feature films largely budgeted under $20 million.

My favorite Indie films seem to come from those 3 major ones.

I agree, Alex. Warner Independent and Fox Searchlight are two of my favorite indie distributors. I think they really have a knack at knowing what the audiences are interested in seeing and acquire some of the best films in the various genres, in my opinion. :)

Ryebeach

Just following up on a news item we came accross last spring when it was mentioned "My Sexiest Year" had already been picked up for distribution. Word around was THINKFilm had acquired the film, but I was never able to get confirmation from them at the time. I'm going to inquire again now as some of the press releases for the Hamptoms Film Festival have alluded to the fact that this film already does have a distributor in place but the articles don't come right out and say it and don't mention which distributor it is.

I'll keep you posted. :)

Ryebeach

I don't think it did. I know it was mentioned in that article and we had that thread, but I spoke with folks at Variety and THINKFilm and neither were ever able to confirm that it was shown there. They never said it wasn't, just no confirmation so it's a real mystery. In the end, it may have been a typo or it was a planned screening that never occured. I'm really not sure.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I don't think it did. I know it was mentioned in that article and we had that thread, but I spoke with folks at Variety and THINKFilm and neither were ever able to confirm that it was shown there. They never said it wasn't, just no confirmation so it's a real mystery. In the end, it may have been a typo or it was a planned screening that never occured. I'm really not sure.
You actually know folks at those companies? LOL Rye has the connections!!

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
welcome bill, if you need anything contact me or yardgames via PM anytime.

thanks for the info, nice first post :)

Ryebeach

Thinkfilm is close to securing deal with Funky Buddha Group for this movie.

Good. I've always thought THINKFilm would be a good fit with this film for distribution. As the deal isn't closed, that would explain why no one from THINKFilm has commented publicly about it.

Thanks for the info, and welcome to the MITMVC. :)

Ryebeach

US distribution secured for "My Sexiest Year," starring Frankie Muniz

As has been predicted here on the MITMVC in the past few weeks, THINKFilm has acquired North American distribution rights to Frankie Muniz' new film, My Sexiest Year, ahead of its premiere at the Hampton's International Film Festival later today.

No release date has been set.

Source: TheHollywoodReporter

Ryebeach

The world premiere of My Sexiest Year was held on Thursday evening at the Hampton's International Film Festival. Frankie was in attendance, along with other cast members. Here are a few photos from the premiere:

These photos are courtesy of and copyrighted to www.wireimage.com

MSYPremiere-FrankieMuniz5.jpg

MSYPremiere-FrankieMuniz4.jpg

MSYPremiere-FrankieMuniz1.jpg

MSYPremiere-FrankieMuniz2.jpg

As confirmed on Thursday morning, the film was picked up by THINKFilm for North American distribution. A release date has not been set but we'll keep you posted. Also, we should be seeing the first reviews of this film from film critics in attendance at the festival before too long.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Those are the most "normal" pictures of Frankie I've seen in a long time. It seems like he's actually happy, doesn't seem like he's trying to rip on Hollywood or look like a "cool" race car driver--it's just Frankie.