Are Hal and Lois bad parents? Or are their children just bad seeds? - Page 2
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Hal and Lois bad parents? Or are their children just bad seeds?

Quote Originally Posted by yardgames View Post
    No one is perfect and Hal and Lois are definitely not perfect parents, but they are certainly not bad parents. They love all their children very dearly and to express that their children shouldn't even exist is incredibly mean. Hal and Lois love each other very dearly, and we've heard the accident stories of how all the kids have been conceived. But just because they were accidents doesn't mean they don't love them and nurture them and care for them in whatever way they can. It's just that the Wilkerson children are not always the easiest to love and care for. Francis didn't care about anything but destruction; how are you supposed to combat that? And what would you have done to Reese if he used the cats to concoct whatever crazy thing he did in Reese's Apartment? Hal and Lois don't do what they do because they're crappy parents; they do it because they've tried every other punishment and they just don't work.
    i think that needlessly humiliating your children isn't great parenting. i'm not saying that they shouldn't exist i'm saying that she just keeps them in check by scaring and humiliating them and if she wanted all her children to behave and be great little children she should have thought about that before she 4-6 of them.

they do obviously love them but that doesn't mean they don't make mistakes because they're human. we see how obsessed francis is with lois and all the time she's "wronged" him, she needed to validate him more from the start not just berate him. we see malcolm turning into the same way resentful against lois.

towards the end of the series francis was actually doing okay as an adult "alone" in the world, but he had all these hang ups about how lois was a horrible parent which really held him back from having a normal life as of yet. she admits that she treated him bad because she was resentful of him in the episode where francis is staying with ida (one of them ).

their kids needed supervision not just punishment after the fact, we saw as dewey had no supervision and could and would do whatever he wanted, after a lifetime of being ignored he starts to fight back.

it's not god dewey, it's just my crappy car, although in a larger sense i suppose he could have helped out my career a bit from time to time. thrown a promotion my way once in a while, so you're right maybe it is god!
    hal

She didn't think about having 4-6 children. She didn't intend to. They were all accidents. I'm not saying she couldn't have been more responsible, but we know how much Hal and Lois love each other and in doing sex twice a day almost every day for 20 years it's a miracle that that's as many accidents as they've had.

well hal was supposed to have a vasectomy but didn't and lied to lois saying he had. everytime they're out of money another kid comes along.
    it's not god dewey, it's just my crappy car, although in a larger sense i suppose he could have helped out my career a bit from time to time. thrown a promotion my way once in a while, so you're right maybe it is god!
    hal

blaaaaah! all this talk. you all forgot this is a comedy? if the parents were nice parents the show would have never made it on tv

they NEEDED to be how there were, to make it a successful show. I don't know about everywhere, but at least to Americans that results in very funny show, lol.

it is called Dysfunctional Family comedy, like Married... With Children
    Last edited by AlexTheMartian; Jul 26, 2007 at 02:20 AM.
    Follow Malcolm in the Middle cast members on Twitter: twitter.com/MITM/cast

Be fans of Justin Berfeild's (Reese) new production company, Virgin Produced on Facebook and Twitter

and while you are at it, add me on facebook and twitter

i just wanted everyones take on whether they thought they were good parents or bad parents all in all.
    hal

Quote Originally Posted by backfence View Post
    well hal was supposed to have a vasectomy but didn't and lied to lois saying he had. everytime they're out of money another kid comes along.
    I don't know whether you're male or female here but I side with Hal on this one. I really don't want to have a doctor slice that area off of me. And as for lying about it, well Lois is pretty domineering; naturally Hal's afraid to tell her. Because look what happens when she finds out.

i'm male, i wouldn't get a vasectomy either but i also wouldn't lie to my wife for years and wear an icepack for days. he said they were all accidents and it's a wonder they don't have 20 kids at the rate they're having sex, i'm just saying that they could have been prevented and lois thought it was prevented.
    hal

I think I have to reject the premise. This is a comedy and the style of the show is to exagerrate thier problems. The actual problems they have are not that unusual or far fetched or even that bad compared to real life. They are simply exaggerated and focused on in the plot.

I think the single best lesson from the show is that with determination, perseverence and help from thier family they ussually can overcome these problems no matter what they are. That is something which real life people in our society fail to grasp way to often and they get stuck in "victimhood", something which the Wilkerson's never settle for, no matter how bad the situation is.

i'm male, i wouldn't get a vasectomy either but i also wouldn't lie to my wife for years and wear an icepack for days. he said they were all accidents and it's a wonder they don't have 20 kids at the rate they're having sex, i'm just saying that they could have been prevented and lois thought it was prevented.
    Vasectomies are actually not a 100% successful venture. They can, an do fail, reverse themselves and can cause complications. Hal deeply loves Lois, but this time? These feelings? They so overpower love on a huge level.

But Hal's vasectomy came after Jamie was born. The only kid that it would have prevented would have been the hypothetical Lucky, the sixth child.