Subtle jokes

allison

I just thought it was a little subtle because not everyone looked at him, but only Lois and one of the police officers. When I saw the episode for the first time I didn´t even realize it, but maybe that´s just me. :rolleyes:

Squeaky Yugi

In "Company Pincic" (1) Do you remeber Hal's two bosses in the flashback where he photocopies his butt? In "Malcolm Films Reese," the same two guys are arresting Mr. Landon. I wonder if they were undercover from the beginning?

Squeaky Yugi

In "Hal Coaches," Hal smokes in front of the team. You can't see the pipe/cigar, but you can see smoke coming out of his mouth. Reese sunbathes in the same episode, so I doubt that the smoke was Hal's frosty breath. I don't really get why that's a joke, though.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Well, if you're an avid fan, it's a joke because he used to smoke in the past, and he and Lois quit together, but there's several episodes where he gets obsessive and relapses.

Squeaky Yugi

Another one:

In "Cliques" Stevie attatches knives to his wheelchair, but they're all butter knives! Another sign of overprotective parents.

Dewey

Minimalistic
Not really a joke but evidence of continuity working in the background of scenes, that one can spot should they take a closer look. I am referring to the family portrait taken in the cold opener of 1.06 - Sleepover.

I am sure it makes several appearnces in later episodes. Here is a screenshot from 2.17 - Surgery. Although hard to distinguish properly, it kind of looks like the same photograph.

samboo1

Oh yeah cool...
I noticed that in Book club the friendly truck driver guy says he wants to be a psychiatrist and then in clip show the man who is the psychiatrist looks like the truck driver. I know its not the same actor but still they could of tried to make him look like the truck driver...Maybe the driver actually became a psychiatrist?:confused:

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Interesting thread so I'm bumping it up. Has anyone noticed any new subtle jokes in season 7?

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
I don't know if this was supposed to be a subtle joke, but it struck me:

In "The bots and the bees" Hal is wearing the exactly same T-Shirt as his buddy Larry four seasons later in "Hal's friend"...

han_keep_smilin

I like it when dewey (dont know what ep) is trying to make something and hal comes out to see what he was doing and he says he is collecting things for school but while he says it h is pulling off the drainpipe outside:D
does anyone know what episode this is? i saw it ages ago and cant remember:)

ReMoss85

Also in Bots and the Bees, Malcolm asks him how killer bees would hurt a robot, and Hal says "No, no, think! It's for the guy controlling the robot," and when he says "think" and puts his finger on his forehead, he gets a little dot of ink or something on his forehead. Funny little irrelevant joke that is never pointed out or referred to at all.

simon_4420

han_keep_smilin said:
I like it when dewey (dont know what ep) is trying to make something and hal comes out to see what he was doing and he says he is collecting things for school but while he says it h is pulling off the drainpipe outside:D
does anyone know what episode this is? i saw it ages ago and cant remember:)

I'm sure that is Malcolm Visits College, that episode is so funny with Dewey telling Hal that punks are stealing stuff:D