Subtle jokes
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Subtle jokes

Default Subtle jokes

Have you ever read the button on Lois's Lucky Aid uniform? It says "The 'L' stands for 'Value'."

Has anyone else noticed little details and jokes that might be easy to miss?

Default Re: Subtle jokes

That's actually the Lucky Aid slogan/motto. I've noticed stuff (like signs in the bskground, but can't remember right now. I'll be watching the 1st week on tape next week, so maybe I'll rewind and catch some. Usually the eps just move too fast for you to notice (like the Simpsons).
    In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly crazy -Homer Simpson

There was that bit in Living Will where Malcolm had tape over his earlobes in the scene straght after Dewey was shown holding a nail gun.

I remember there was great discussion on the forums about whether Frankie Muniz had earrings put in or something like that. No way! That way definitely a subtle joke.

And there's one in Malcolm Holds his Tongue. When Reese gives Craig a large pie and a fork, they flash to Reese and then quickly back to Craig. Within a matter of seconds Craig's face is covered in pie and half of the dish is empty. At first I thought in might have been a mistake but the second time I watched it I thought that it was more likely to be a joke about Craig's weight/overeating.
    "Man, two guys as your parents. That place must be a dude's paradise!"

In the first scene of "Reese Joins the Army I," when Reese & his girl friend Beth come back in the house from the garage, supposedly from fetching something for Hal, we can see from the shot of Beth's back that she's wearing her blouse inside out--a subtle hint that the blouse came off in the garage & got hurriedly put back on. This is the only time I can think of that Reese ever got "past first base" with a girl.

When Eric and Francis try to steal Lavernia's book (i don't know which episode) and the get locked in this room and then think about their miserable situation, the song "Sweet home alabama" is played in the background. Wasn't the Marlin Academy in Alabama? So that was a hint that it was even better there than in Alaska...

That's why he had tape on his ears!!! Good catch.

Chad's sign - it's different in different eps. In Dewey's Special Class, it was "DON'T TOUCH BITES"; in Chad's Sleepover it was a crossed out "TOUCHING" ie no touching; in Buseys Take a Hostage it was "ANGERED BY SNIVELLING".

I'd forgotten about this till I saw a rerun yesterday:

In the Pilot, as the boys are walking past they're neighbour's houses, there are realtor/for sale signs on all of them.

That's right, they mentioned that in the commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbage Kills Megan
    Have you ever read the button on Lois's Lucky Aid uniform? It says "The 'L' stands for 'Value'."

Has anyone else noticed little details and jokes that might be easy to miss?
    I'd noticed that, but I don't get it. Is it an American thing?