Subtle jokes

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
Have you ever read the button on Lois's Lucky Aid uniform? It says "The 'L' stands for 'Value'."

Has anyone else noticed little details and jokes that might be easy to miss?

Emrysgirl

That's actually the Lucky Aid slogan/motto. I've noticed stuff (like signs in the bskground, but can't remember right now. I'll be watching the 1st week on tape next week, so maybe I'll rewind and catch some. Usually the eps just move too fast for you to notice (like the Simpsons).

daniel1985

There was that bit in Living Will where Malcolm had tape over his earlobes in the scene straght after Dewey was shown holding a nail gun.

I remember there was great discussion on the forums about whether Frankie Muniz had earrings put in or something like that. No way! That way definitely a subtle joke.

And there's one in Malcolm Holds his Tongue. When Reese gives Craig a large pie and a fork, they flash to Reese and then quickly back to Craig. Within a matter of seconds Craig's face is covered in pie and half of the dish is empty. At first I thought in might have been a mistake but the second time I watched it I thought that it was more likely to be a joke about Craig's weight/overeating.

Malcoholic

In the first scene of "Reese Joins the Army I," when Reese & his girl friend Beth come back in the house from the garage, supposedly from fetching something for Hal, we can see from the shot of Beth's back that she's wearing her blouse inside out--a subtle hint that the blouse came off in the garage & got hurriedly put back on. This is the only time I can think of that Reese ever got "past first base" with a girl.;)

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
When Eric and Francis try to steal Lavernia's book (i don't know which episode) and the get locked in this room and then think about their miserable situation, the song "Sweet home alabama" is played in the background. Wasn't the Marlin Academy in Alabama? So that was a hint that it was even better there than in Alaska...

Emrysgirl

Chad's sign - it's different in different eps. In Dewey's Special Class, it was "DON'T TOUCH BITES"; in Chad's Sleepover it was a crossed out "TOUCHING" ie no touching; in Buseys Take a Hostage it was "ANGERED BY SNIVELLING".

Emrysgirl

I'd forgotten about this till I saw a rerun yesterday:

In the Pilot, as the boys are walking past they're neighbour's houses, there are realtor/for sale signs on all of them.

Jimmy Junior

Garbage Kills Megan said:
Have you ever read the button on Lois's Lucky Aid uniform? It says "The 'L' stands for 'Value'."

Has anyone else noticed little details and jokes that might be easy to miss?
I'd noticed that, but I don't get it. Is it an American thing?

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
It's funny because it doesn't make any sense. The "L" in Lucky stands for "value"? What? But value doesn't start with an L! I dunno. It's just funny. And it just sort of makes fun of silly corporate slogans and things. Anyone who has ever worked for a big corporation can tell you stories of all the silly things that you have to deal with: the awful training videos, the sexual harassment sensitivity training, the corporate policies that don't make any sense. They make fun of that sort of working environment a lot with the Lucky Aid on Malcolm. I think the rediculous slogan is a part of that.

Squeaky Yugi

I've said this was a goof, but I think it was on purpose. In "Krelboyne Picnic" Watch when DOrene throws away Lois's brownies, concerned about nonexistent peanut allergies. Right behind them is a confection stand that says "peanuts"

Jimmy Junior

Garbage Kills Megan said:
It's funny because it doesn't make any sense. The "L" in Lucky stands for "value"? What? But value doesn't start with an L! I dunno. It's just funny. And it just sort of makes fun of silly corporate slogans and things. Anyone who has ever worked for a big corporation can tell you stories of all the silly things that you have to deal with: the awful training videos, the sexual harassment sensitivity training, the corporate policies that don't make any sense. They make fun of that sort of working environment a lot with the Lucky Aid on Malcolm. I think the rediculous slogan is a part of that.
Ahh, i get it now - in the same way as some corporations have slogans like "More choice, better value", "It's your money we're saving", "The customer is always right" and stuff - Lucky Aide comes across as a cheap, low quality store, so it's fitting that it should have a rubbish slogan which doesn't even make sense!

allison

When Malcolm is accused of peeking into his neighbours´ windows (New neighbours) and Malcolm says he would never do that because all their neighbours are pretty ugly, Hal says: "Peeping isn´t about looks, son. It´s about the thrill of observing someone without their knowledge." Lois and the police officers give him a pretty confused and suspiciuos look because they probably think that Hal does that, too.