The visual look of MITM, one of its kind

AlexTheMartian

Everyone talks about how great the writing and humor of MITM is, but the fantastic comedy aspect is not the only thing that stands out in uniqueness, I think the entire series was filmed in a unique way.

One of the only comedies today to be shot on film instead of video (which usually is only done on hour-long dramas,) and its single-camera cinematography really got our attention to follow the characters. Also the lighting and composition of the shots really brought the realism to the show, which makes the show even funnier because it is like you are watching real-life, and not just any other sitcom (sad to admit, but even my favorite new show, The War at Home, looks so much like a studio set, and not a real house)

The creator, writers, directors, are all geniuses for creating the masterpiece of a series we call Malcolm in the Middle. If I ever make my own film or tv show, I got to have some of that brilliant crew on my project.

and for those who seen Little Miss Sunshine movie, did you notice any similarities to Malcolm in the Middle other then the obvious Bryan Cranston in both?

Well, both had the same Director of Photography, Tim Suhrstedt.

Did you notice that both homes had almost the same kind of lighting and atmosphere to them? I did.

Looks like Art School training is paying off for me ;D I initially noticed this similarity without even finding out who the Director of Photography of either were.

Ryebeach

That's so cool, Alex! 8) I had no idea the DP's are one in the same on both. I remember first watching the film in theaters and at a few points, especially the dinner scene, I thought this does have a MITM vibe to it and of course with the appearance of Bryan Cranston too. Now it all makes sense. Thanks for the info! :)

AlexTheMartian

yeah i knew that too, just forgot to mention it. No laugh track, no live audience, but still makes people at home laugh out loud... magic? maybe, or just great writing and great acting! ;D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
There's so many things that help to make MITM original--the camera work was one thing amongst many. We had a crew member here a few months ago--well technically on the old VC--who talked with us for a few weeks and told us all kinds of things about how they filmed the stunts in MITM. It was pretty interesting to hear about all the work that goes into just one scene of the show.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Yeah, I agree that I noticed MITM visually looked different from any other show out there. I don't know how to explain it since Im not a video tech guy, but it does look more real than any other "sitcom". :)

qwerty

Yeah, the fact that MIM wasn't filmed in front of an audience/ no laugh track really makes a difference. I think it would have much more of a 'War at home' vibe if it was.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Not that the War at Home is bad. It has its own sort of originality by seeing inside of the minds of the characters, but on MITM we see inside the mind of Malcolm without ever cutting away from the scene, which really is a neat trick.

AlexTheMartian

speaking of The War at Home, the DVD for the first season of it comes out next month, May 15. just thought i may add in case fans of it are here. Same day as Linkin Park's Minutes to Midnight :) look like I'll have a fun time at Best Buy

Richiepiep

Administrator
I wonder if MITM set a standard for visualization. As far as I know, 'That 70's Show' never got beyond some prefilmed inserts, like the camera-roundabout, moving from character to character.

But after Malcolm, some shows turned out really 'filmic' too, like Dead Like Me, Carpoolers, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Reaper, Californication etc.

So I wonder how unique Malcolm is/was. Perhaps it has to do with the difference between comedy and drama/dramady like the above?

I remember for instance The Wonder Years from the late Eighties, which was a gentler, warmer MITM, and had fluent cinematography. I have to agree, though, that in MITM, it was really inventive, for instance the wipes with the 'woosh'-sound, the trick photography, all the weird angles, crane and dolly shots, and lenses they used (I noticed macros, wide-angles, fish-eyes, prisms, you name it). Amazing that it took just a week to film each episode! They really must have worked their little butts off!

Rich