What happened to Reese?

Murph

When MITM started, Reese was like 12 and 5'0", he only grew like 7 inches over seven years. His build also used to be so great, but from Season 5 on, he looks very wimpish.

So what happened to him?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Well, in the context of MITM, it was right around the end of season 5 where bullying stopped being so important to Reese. Certainly it was still the only thing he was good at, but he became involved with "projects" other than simply going to school and beating people up every day. Perhaps he was too afraid to work out anymore after his bench-pressing incident in Forwards Backwards.

In a context not consistent with the show apparently Justin is just small. ;D

AlexTheMartian

"12 and 5'0", he only grew like 7 inches over seven years" are you even talking about reese anymore, or the actor? because the show can not really affect how reese ages, that is how the actor ages. It is not like they can force Reese to look super tall and tough looking, if the actor doesn't grow up that way.

basically both Reese and Malcolm went from being kids to young adults during the course of Malcolm in the Middle. So really when they could not predict either of the actors futures from the beginning of the series.

So the show decided to make Reese no longer a bully, and Malcolm not as smart as we taught he was, I think that was a good decision, otherwise many people would have been bored with the show, and I doubt it would have has a 6th or 7th season, so probably that why the storylines shifted in Season 5

Oh and Justin is just small? not when being compared to Frankie, Frankie never seemed to grow, lol. I saw Frankie in "Stuck on You" last night, and he plays himself as the teenage boyfriend of the superstar Cher. Now that was a little creepy, but funny as well.
Cher [to Frankie, while in bed together]: "Go to bed. You have a geography test in the morning."
lol

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Wimpy-ish? ;D
I never thought Reese was too built, but I do agree that, in the earlier seasons, he seemed to be built up a bit more than later seasons.
But he never looked...wimpy-ish. ;D

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
He was kinda built in season 4, more so than in other seasons anyway. Nothing that would really make a huge difference, but there's a scene in family reunion where he's wearing a tank top and his arms look pretty built. (A girl notices these things.) ;D He did look really skinny in later seasons though.

AlexTheMartian

so what if hes skinny maybe he just has a fast metabolism. im skinny too, but i work out and i have strength you wont see when just looking at me. reese is probably the same way. i look like i have no muscles, but i been able to tackle and flip people twice my weight. fear us skinny people, lol

i dont know about all of you, but a skinny bully is funnier then a typical one

and you got to think, if he was a tough looking bully, would the character ever be abled to be cared about by the audience over the years?

Murph

Ah, Alex you missed the point entirely! I'm not complaining that's he's skinny, I'm just asking, you know, what happened to him? His build actually looks better in Season 1 than it did in Season 7. Did he just not grow a lot, or was there a different reason?

And I think that question has been answered.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I noticed that he was really built up in season 1. More so than in season 7. Pretty weird. Guess the comment "a skinny bully is funnier" is true(that's what Alex said). ;D But like I said earlier, he never looked wimpy-ish.

AlexTheMartian

yeah i have a tendency to miss the point, lol. looking back, my last two comments were pretty pointless.

i guess stopping punching and lifting up kids can make you not as strong as you were.

also another thing. Justin was like a third-degree red belt in karate when he was younger, then he probably just stopped karate and probably also stopped working out

so i agree with what yardgames said earlier

cadetspangler

When MITM started, Reese was like 12 and 5'0", he only grew like 7 inches over seven years. His build also used to be so great, but from Season 5 on, he looks very wimpish.

So what happened to him?

I never noticed that. I did notice, though, that from season 5 on, his hair was black, when it used to be brown.