The War at Home

AlexTheMartian

Who watches this show? Its on FOX. It pretty much started after MITM ended, but after being on Sunday for it's first season, it was moved to Thursdays (which i hated, because I seen almost every episode when it was on Sunday, but missed over half of them on Thursdays)

I love this show, while to some it may seem like just some MITM replacement, I think it is a pretty unique show, despite it being yet another dysfunctional family (but I cant get enough of those comedies). The main characters all break the fourth wall in between various segments during an episode, in a all-white room to talk to the audience (in a similar fashion to how Bernie Mac does on his show, except not not sitting down), although the Dad, who is the main star, does it most often. At first I did not really like that feature of the show, but I have gotten used to it, some of those segments are very funny.

The show often deals with topics of sex, drugs, racism and homosexuality. although what FOX show hasn't? But this show seems to have sexual topics more often, so some parents out there may not like their kid watching it (although i will disagree, but I'm no one to argue with parents).

If those in other countries haven't seen it yet, you can check out the official website at http://www.fox.com/warathome/

oh, and if you want you can check out these short-films that the youngest kid on the show, Mike (Dean Collins), has made and posts on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/monkeynuts1069. He co-stars and co-creates them with Logan Lerman, who played Bobby on "Jack & Bobby".

you wont believe how much information you can get from Wikipedia.

reese35

Yeah, that show's kool. I watched it almost heavily first season. However, I had no idea that Dean Collins was a YouTube star too! ;D

Ryebeach

AlexTheMartian said:
Who watches this show? Its on FOX. It pretty much started after MITM ended, but after being on Sunday for it's first season, it was moved to Thursdays (which i hated, because I seen almost every episode when it was on Sunday, but missed over half of them on Thursdays)

I love this show, while to some it may seem like just some MITM replacement, I think it is a pretty unique show, despite it being yet another dysfunctional family (but I cant get enough of those comedies). The main characters all break the fourth wall in between various segments during an episode, in a all-white room to talk to the audience (in a similar fashion to how Bernie Mac does on his show, except not not sitting down), although the Dad, who is the main star, does it most often. At first I did not really like that feature of the show, but I have gotten used to it, some of those segments are very funny.

The show often deals with topics of sex, drugs, racism and homosexuality. although what FOX show hasn't? But this show seems to have sexual topics more often, so some parents out there may not like their kid watching it (although i will disagree, but I'm no one to argue with parents).

If those in other countries haven't seen it yet, you can check out the official website at http://www.fox.com/warathome/

oh, and if you want you can check out these short-films that the youngest kid on the show, Mike (Dean Collins), has made and posts on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/monkeynuts1069. He co-stars and co-creates them with Logan Lerman, who played Bobby on "Jack & Bobby".

you wont believe how much information you can get from Wikipedia.
I haven't seen this show but I've wanted to. I like the cast. Of course, Kyle Sullivan, one of the original Krelboynes on MITM is in it and I remember Dean Collins from "Jack and Bobby," a show that was canceled far, far too soon but that's for another topic. And Michael Rappaport I remember mostly from "Boston Public," even though he's been in countless films as well.

Thanks for YouTube links for Dean Collins' films, Alex. I had no idea about those either.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Im sorry, but this is one show I never liked, and to be honest I can't stand it. Not even Kyle(Dabney ;D) starring in it redeems it any, IMO.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Wait, Dean actually helps write the show? That's amazing! I enjoy the War at Home not because it's like Malcolm but because it is completely different from it. At first when the show came out it was like every MITM fan had a vendetta against TWAH because Fox had set up TWAH to take over for when MITM went off the air. But quite literally the only thing they have in common is that they're both dysfunctional families. MITM is so much deeper and so much subtle humor, such dynamic characters, and completely unique and original plotlines with a variety of groundbreaking techniques. TWAH broke the fourth wall, yes, but other than that is not real unique. Its strength is that it is laugh-out-loud funny. You don't have to think at all to enjoy the show; you could actually sing the Minty-Mints song and still understand exactly what is happening. That was perfect on Sunday nights before another hectic week begins. It's a shame it was permanently moved to Thursdays now; for awhile it was being promoted as a "special night" on Thursday. It's harder for me to remember to watch on that evening. ;D

AlexTheMartian

Yeah, and sadly, according to Wikipedia, TWAH's Thursday slot is it's permanent one. but that is a user-maintained article, so i dont know if thats confirmed.

And who said Dean helps white the show? is that mentioned somewhere? I was just talking about unrelated short films he makes on youtube, lol

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
Yeah, great show! :)
I'd even say at the moment it is my most favorite current sitcom. All those characters are just amazing.
And Michael Rapaport player the father's role perfectly. Sadly they cancelled the show over here in Germany after only 16
episodes... (So again, thank god for the internet ;D)

AlexTheMartian

it is still running here in the USA. Tonight is a brand new episode.

And unlike what was said by someone before, Even with TWAH being moved to Thursdays, at least here in Los Angeles there is still showing both rerun episodes of MITM, 6:30 and 7pm, and at 7:30 The Simpsons, 8 Till' Death, and finally 8:30 TWAH

FOX rocks :)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
That's because football is done by then for you guys. The late game goes till about 7 my time, so I miss those eps. It's the same reason why we all missed the first half of the first half of the eps in S6.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
You know, I just discovered last night you can watch them online anytime you want now. it's too bad MITM went off the air before Internet video hit it big.

AlexTheMartian

yeah I watch it on MySpace's FOX TV On Demand when I miss it, and when i just want to watch it again.

It is nice because it is put on there the following day, no delay

reese35

yardgames said:
You know, I just discovered last night you can watch them online anytime you want now. it's too bad MITM went off the air before Internet video hit it big.

Dirty Fox b***ards. l0l

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
I have sad news, for myself and any fan of this show. It has not been renewed for a 3rd season, and according to http://entertainmentnow.wordpress.com/2007/05/17/fox-development-slate-for-20072008-season/ the show is listed as "Canceled"

I already have Season 1 on DVD, and plan to get Season 2 on DVD as well.

Long live the War At Home

Thanks for the update...but

That sucks! :crying:

Something slightly weird/interesting I just found but the actor who plays "Mike" Dean Collins has a youtube channel with videos he stars and directs in.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=monkeynuts1069

Last edited: