MITM DVD Release

admin

Retired Administrator
Re: dvd release

But I don't think season 1 - 4 were filmed in the HDTV format where they?

MITM18

DVD isnt film either

Future formats dont prevent studios from releasing it on it.

Plus there are ways to improve quality as I am sure you already know

I dont believe anyone other than George Lucas filming Episode 2 and 3 with an HD camera.

Most film makers are still using film

So that proves it doesnt matter

yardgames

Retired Administrator

I think they started filming season four in hi-def David. As far as the improving quality, it's really only artificial unless it was actually shot in hi-def, and to make it widescreen, you would essentially end up cutting off part of the picture.

Also, they haven't even decided whether to use HD-DVD or Blu-Ray yet, there's like one player model on the market, and the specifications for neither disc are complete. This could happen by fall, but at the speed those things work, I think it's highly unlikely. It's possible, but it doesn't seem likely to me.

MITM18

As of now Fox Home Entertainment is going to be releasing on Blu-Ray.

Yes I know Blu-Ray and HD-DVD might be combining but as of now its Blu-Ray.

Also it wouldnt be artificial. Thats 100% incorrect, many films are planning to be released in future formats and will improve its quality vastly.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member

they will not release hddvd/blueray until there are players avaliable! whats the point. also blue-ray+hddvd will be so much more expensive i bout wether they will bother for mitm. movies yes. mitm no.

MITM18

Players come out this fall :)

DVD is only capable of so much resolution/quality and sound

jrrowleyws

Your TV is only capable of so much resolution and sound too!

DVD hasnt been around for long enough, they may aswell leave it as it is for a while. VHS stayed for years, why cant DVD.

MITM18

Thats why they made High Definition TVs and second of all, TV's dont do the sound if you really want good sound, you buy 5.1/6.1/7.1 speaker systems.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

I read an article in PC Magazine that cited Q4 2005 (winter 2005) for HD DVD and Q1 2006 for Blu-ray, but that is the estimate of their own camp; the actual time will most likely be Q4 2006.

In the past, media movements were always good for consumers, the article went on to point out, but in thsi case, it's primarily because DVD technology has matured completely, to such a point where the big companies needed something new to continue the income. They also said that consumer satisfaction wtih DVD technology is still very high, and this could actually further delay high-def DVDs, or make us skip over them almost completely, opting instead for the next generation holographic discs.

A fascinating article really, but in conclusion, I doubt Fox is waiting until fall to release MITM on HD-DVD; it just wouldn't work, no one would buy that.

MITM18

I dont know where PC Magazine's info is coming from but that might be concerning retail HD/Blu-ray Recorders since all the major studios will be releasing titles for Blu-Ray/HD-DVD this coming fall/winter

"Universal will begin issuing select titles in the HD-DVD format by next holiday season, 2005"

"Paramount said it would begin releasing HD-DVD titles in as early as the holiday season of 2005 or first-quarter 2006."

http://www.dvdeastereggs.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=22

"Manufacturers and disc makers said players and discs should start hitting the market in late 2005 or early 2006."

http://www.lostcoders.net/index-single-598.htm

Over 50 Titles will be released from Warner Brothers this winter for HD-DVD

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2005_Jan_7/ai_n8682426

PS: FOX has joined Blu-Ray not HD.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

HD-DVD refers to HD DVD and Blu-ray together; HD DVD refers to just HD DVD; I know Fox has joined the Blu-ray camp and to be honest, I'm getting really tired of arguing about this with you. If consumers dont have the ability to play the discs, then the studios aren't going to release them. Case closed.

DVD Release...AGAIN!!

I'm sorry if Im annoying anyone by starting this thread, it seems this topic has arisen a number of times, but the origional forum was closed, so I thought it necessary to start another- sorry. But there is a website that seems to be performing some market research for FOX relating to the release of MITM dvd's http://www.r2-dvd.org/Mitm.jsp . I found it just before I found this site, but hopefully this might help us get the next series sooner, considering series 1 hasnt actually been officially released in the UK yet, i.e. on region 2.

MITM18

Re: DVD Release...AGAIN!!

Strange how the prices are in EURO rather than American dollars.

Going to get more info on this.

MITM18

Well I got the answer, this is a REALLY OLD survery from way back in 2002.

This has nothing to do with the upcoming seasons.

They have made the documentaries and bonus features its just they need to fix out the licensing agreement with the music holders.

Then they will wait until its the good time of the year to release it.

admin

Retired Administrator

Sadly it looks like a Region 2 dvd isn't coming any time soon, and FOX seem to be putting us off about the "Season 2" realease. To be honest, I have basically given up with FOX now, they are either going to release or not - I am sick of all their "music rights" excuses! :D

This appears to be a bit of old news, but its not news I've seen before. I guess these surveys must have suggested a Season 1 DVD in the UK would not hit the profit thresholds FOX wanted....

MITM18

Since the show is almost over, I would bet on them making a box set of all the seasons for both regions.

It seems that FOX isnt manufactoring the Season 1 set really any more, I really believe its because they will release a box set from 1-7 in the fall of 06 or near the finale.

I'm just about to recieve my DVD Series 1 from US, so I guess they're still manufacturing them, but I suppose we should use the Simpsons as a guide and seing as season 5 has just been released, it looks like we'll be waiting another 10 years:D !

MITM18

Not really since there will be more Simpsons shows after 05-06 season thus they can release a new season every few months. Also, that there is a bigger audience for the simpsons

Aswell that doesnt mean they are still manufactoring it, it just means that whatever store you bought it from had then in stock.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

Have they stopped making season one now? I bought mine more than a year ago, and back then it was hell to find it anywhere. I'm wondering if maybe they'll release season two this fall, with the day change. They released season one with the time change back in season four, so if they finally have their "music issues" worked out, maybe we could get season two to help promote the final season. The last estimate I heard was back in February for August of this year for season two, but I've heard a zillion estimates before, and none have been accurate yet....

MITM18, was it you that said they would all be released eventually? Did you say there was some contractual reason for your suspicion there, I can't remember. It would make sense to release a full box set, but I still think it would be just DVD, not Blu-ray or HD-DVD.