How did they afford Military School?

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Yeah, I reckon. I was watching Clip Show #2 the other day and was wondering the same thing. Maybe they used one of the probably fifty-thousand credit cards they have :D

ReMoss85

Lois said to Francis "we went without for that school." Obvious maybe, but there were plenty of sacrifices.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I think they felt that was the only choice they had and they had to afford it somehow. If they didn't they felt like they would be failures as parents because Francis would be a failed person.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I believe they were able to afford it because, if Im not mistaken, in one episode(Im trying to remember the name of the ep), Lois made a statement that sending Francis to military school is what made them as poor as they are(so, obviously, they would be doing better if Francis hadn't gone).
But aren't we all glad that the school made Francis the man he is? :)

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
With all the trouble Francis caused being at home, maybe it would have been more expensive not to send him to military school...:D

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Good thinking. But still, they must have paid a lot of things by credit cards to get up to $26 - 28,000 in debt as Lois mentioned in "Pearl Harbour". But they would have had Malcolm, Reese and Dewey's school fees on top of the cost for Francis to be at Military School too. On that note, how would Hal have been able to sacrifice a day's pay every Friday when the family needed that money?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Most American corporations pay what is called a salary rather than by the hour. Basically it means that if Hal got paid $30,000 a year, he would get that amount no matter how much he worked. It's a wonder he wasn't fired, yes, but as far as pay is concerned, as long as he worked there he would get his full salary.

On that note, a job like Lois' as a cashier would pay by the hour so the more hours the better for her.