Craig vs. Abby

In two episodes, Robbery and Army Buddy, two different people express their feelings for Lois, namely Craig and Abby, respectively. Craig, because he is intruding on a marriage, has to have his feelings removed through pain. Abby, on the other hand, committing the same crime, is told to not beat herself up about it.

I personally find this difference a little odd. Why does Lois find it acceptable for a lesbian to have feelings for her, yet not a man? After all, Abby even "came on to her" during the massage, while Craig expressed his feelings as regrettable even before Lois's response. What could possibly make the response different?

Thoughts, anyone?

Murph

I always thought of Lois as a feminist. After all, it's hard not to be with so many men in your life...

Amigo22

Super Moderator
I don't know about her "other side" if there is one, but she was already married to Hal, so why wouldn't she reject Craig? Craig knew about them being married but could not let go of it. She said in the episode where he was running away on his motorbike that the only time she would even consider anything happening between them would be when she's old and Hal is dead. Just because Craig really likes her doesn't mean the feelings have to be reciprocated.

Although then again, Hal did cheat on her with her sister, supposedly when Lois said she wasn't interested, but the fact that they are married and have been for like 21 years now (it was 15 in "Red Dress" so that should be about right) suggests that she wasn't not interested, but simply not ready.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
@Amigo, yep 21. 15 in Red Dress, 20th anniversary in Hal Sleepwalks, S6.

My opinion on this matter is this: Craig has a perennial love interest for Lois. He always has and he can't let go of it. No matter what and no matter what Lois does, he keeps his love for her. It's like he can't understand he wasn't chosen. And it wasn't just that one episode: that's been a recurring theme since Red Dress.

Whereas Abby, yes the love was "wrong," but she didn't do everything in her power to try and get Lois like Craig did. And Abby sees Lois as more of a hero, and I think, however subconsciously, that Lois likes being a hero.

@Amigo: That doesn't really answer the question. I completely agree that her rejection of Craig was the right response, but why didn't Abby experience that same level of rejection also?

@yardgames: Craig's love interest for Lois obviously goes beyond the confrontation in Robbery, because its roots go back to Red Dress, as you mentioned. However, my question focused more on the isolated instances at which the feelings were revealed. Craig said that he loved her and knew he shouldn't, and Abby went too far up during a massage and then said she was out of line. Both of these, in my opinion, should receive the same sort of response. However, I do see your logic in the "hero" comment; perhaps that is an important difference between the two.

Any other thoughts? I like the way this thread is turning out...is there any way more people could contribute?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
She was. :)

I suppose if we're focusing just on those two moments, then there is some logic that Lois should treat them similar. To refute my own comment, Craig also idolizes Lois. I suppose that she has never treated anyone equally, though. She said in Reese Comes Home that one of her tricks was to give one of the boys special treatment so the others would behave more properly. Perhaps there was hidden logic.

cadetspangler

Think about it---it's Lois. Craig was a male, and a wimp. Abbey was a woman---a woman who had been in the army. I think Lois is going to give a strong female---someone she see as her equal--- a little more respect. Plus, I think she was a little shocked at Abbey's interest in her, expicially since she was a teen...

Craig, on the other hand, dropped not-so-subtle hints in "Red Dress", "Malcolm Babysits", and "Lois vs. Evil" that he liked her...and, Lois' Birthday, I guess. So Lois obviously had him figured out...the way she rejected him came across as something she seemed to have wanted to say for just as long as Craig had wanted to admit it. I personally like to think that it actually made Craig angry, what she did, hence why he threw the safe at that guy.

But gosh, her "NO, NO, NOOOOO..." reply was great.

Spangler liked Lois too, didn't he? Wonder what she would have done to him.

Oh, and it was 16 in Red Dress. "Hal Sleepwalks" is yet another error, since Francis turns 21 some episodes later.

Last edited: