The Characters You Hate

There are characters we supposed to dislike within the context of the show - how they would relate to Malcolm - like Craig and Herkabe. But, while you dislike their actions with regard the central characters really, I think most people actually like them.
The only characters that I actually dislike and personally feel were of detriment to the show were the Buseys. I thought they were a far weeker version of the Krelyboynes; most of the comedy came out of their 'silly/wacky' actions. Also at times there was a forced sentimentality, e.g. when Dewey is first convinced to stay in the class and help them.

AlexTheMartian

The only character I hated, was that one lady (actress Beth Grant) who was at "Krelboyne Picnic" (Season 1) and said some students my be allergic, and tossed all of Lois' brownies into the trash can, and she was bossing around all the moms, until Lois finally put an end to her reign of terror.

Beth Grant also played the same kind of role in Donnie Darko, my favorite movie. lol.

D

Deleted member 1693

Yeah; the Buseys weren't too complex. Instead of giving them random problems, I think that they coulda done more with those kids.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
I agree. Hanson's Tourette's speech in "Hal Sleepwalks" and Chad's subplot in "Chad's Sleepover" were about the only good plots the Buseys had.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I found the Buseys to be good comic relief when used sparingly in an episode but increasingly unnecessary when the episode focused on them.

As for why I hate Stevie, which many people probably don't want to hear again, I think it's important to mention that I don't base liking characters by putting myself in the place of someone close to them. That is, my dislike for Stevie stems from his attitude being annoying, yet not funny, not from wanting to avoid someone acting like that to me. The same goes for Mr. Herkabe -- his actions are horrible, but funny...

i agree with u. i too never really like Stevie. Stevie was just unfunny and not that interesting. Every1 else was funny and interesting, but not Stevie.

MalcolmFun

I don't really think the character Stevie himself was supposed to be funny most of the time and he really doesnt have many lines that are suposed to be funny. He is used as sort of backdrop for other characters jokes to play off of. Like when Malcolm for the 1000th time is lamenting about how his life sucks meanwhile his bestfriend is sitting next to him in a wheelchair. Or when Reese says your ass may not know I'm kicking it, but I will.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Man, pretty harsh on Stevie, aren't we?
Stevie wasn't too bad. I agree with Malcolmfun, I don't think he was supposed to be a funny character. But how he played off with the others made him funny IMO.

houseboat

I used to dislike, not to hate, Dewey. But in the last seasons he became better, his humor turned more ironic, with some pretty funny scenes.