How did you become hooked on MITM?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I know this has been asked before, but it's different every time we get a new Wave of visitors. So, how have some of our current members become hooked on MITM?

For me, I had heard the good things about the first season and decided to watch Waterpark. It said To Be Continued at the end and as it was the last ep of the season I could never figure out why it was never continued. When Traffic Jam finally aired, it didn't even dawn on me that it was the continuation. Nonetheless, I loved the show and have been watching ever since.

I started by watching reruns through the years, most likely beginning with season 2 or 3. At that time, I wasn't what I consider a "fan," but anytime I happened to see the show I would watch it for a good laugh. Then, this summer, I watched almost every episode on TV and found some people with tapes of the others, and I became more and more hooked with every new episode I saw. Now that I've seen every one, I re-watch them consistently because I still find them funny, which is the point at which I can say I really became completely hooked. I feel kind of bad for not supporting the show earlier, but even after cancellation it still provides some good moments.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
It doesn't matter when you became a fan, it just matters you became a fan. :) MITM will live on in reruns forever. :D

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Well, it was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
Lol, sorry.:D Anyways, it was just last summer(near the end of July). Summer vacation was a week from ending and I was my mom's house with nothing to do. It was the middle of the week(Thursday or Friday, I believe) and I was just bored. I turned on the tv(it was 5:00) and I saw this show called Malcolm in the Middle. Of course, I had heard about it back when it first aired in 2000(when it was huge), but since that time I had forgotten about it. I thought MITM was stupid before I even saw an episode(I should kick my own ass for thinking that). But still, I was bored and had nothing to do. So I watched it...and I thought it was so friggen funny! A second episode came on, and I watched it as well and had the same impression. So I tuned in the next day, and the next day, and the next day...and the rest is history.:) So, I have reruns to thank for making me a MITM fan.:)
Anyways, that also ties in with why(partly) season 7 is my favorite season, because it was the only new season of MITM I caught(I had already been a fan for a few months by the time "Burning Man" first aired in October). :)

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
That sounds like exactly how I got hooked--just about the same time too. It was also last July for me and we were on vacation in Myrtle Beach (of course.) I don't usually watch tv during the day, but when we're there, there's really nothing else to do unless you're out going to the beach or whatever. Anyway, I was watching some kind of crap, then MITM came on when it was over. Like Tony, I'd heard of it back when it was really popular, but I never paid much attention to it cause I rarely watch Fox. The first episode I saw was Health Scare where Dewey was taking care of Bernard the Hamster. I missed the first half of the episode and when I came back, Dewey was talking to an orange ball, which I thought was really wierd. (I didn't realize there was a hampster in it. :D ) It seemed fairly entertaining so I tuned in the next few days day and started to get to know and like all the characters. When I got back from vacation, I checked my local listings to see when MITM came on in my area and have a fan ever since. :D

reese35

Midway through season 5 (around Christmas), Fox had a mini-marathon of Malcolm (an episode from every season). I got it on tape, and then the magic of that comedic powerhouse (with a VCR and, later, a DVD recorder) did its thing.

rzombie1988

I've been watching since the first episode, where I've been hooked since. MITM since the first ep has pretty much been abov anything else on tv in my books. I stopped watching around Season 5 or so, because I could never find it on with all the time changes. Then I started watching again when I got used to the time schedule, and then I saw beachhouse on a rerun and have been hooked even more since.

Ryebeach

I'd heard a lot of great things about the show when it premiered but for some reason, I never watched an episode until the season 1 finale. I watched "Waterpark" when it first aired and I was amazed at the sharp, crisp writing and acting and the overall style of the show, ie; Malcolm talking to the camera, a single camera show, location shooting outside of a closed set, no live studio audience or laugh track. It was different than anything I'd seen in recent years and I liked that. :)

Murph

'Twas the night before the start of school 2003, I was depressed, just had a shower so couldn't go out to play, and there was nothing else on...apart from the Season 4 premier of MITM on Sky One.
Reese's goat storyline won me over, but I disliked Dewey right from the start. His voice annoyed me, and, the more I watched, the more his personality did, too.

I watched it basically every week from then on.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
@Sam-The very first episode of MITM I ever saw was "Malcolm holds his tounge". Hal's storyline alone almost killed me by laughter!:D For those of you who have forgotten, that's the episode where Hal takes up speed walking.:D
@Murph-Come on, man, how can you not like Dewey?
Ok, I agree he was annoying during the first couple of seasons, but by season 5, I thought Dewey was awesome.:)

Murph

Funnily enough, I thought the episode. He was SUPPOSED to be an annoying little bugger in the first few seasons, which I didn't mind too much, but by Season 5, he was always moaning and gurning and boring me. Like the episode where "he deserves a snow day". It just felt like he had NOTHING else to complain about, so HAD to complain about something, and thought "hey, what could I complain about today? I know-since everything else is going my way, I'll complain about the weather!"

Sorry if I sound too...serious, but he REALLY got on my nerves in that episode!

Amigo22

Super Moderator
I started watching 1/2 way through Red Dress when it first aired in 2000. My brother was watching it in his room across the hall from mine, and I eventually went in to check it out, and I've been watching it since. Home Alone 4 was the first full episode I saw. I didn't actually see the Pilot until the end of 2002, but I'd been reading episode guides from several different websites since I first started watching the show, so I was able to find out what happened from those.

primehunter1

I remember way back in 2000 one of the guys in my class talking about MITM, saying how good it was so the next saturday I watched it. Being only eight at the time (doesn't time fly) I guess I didn't really appreciate the humour, and I remember thinking how wierd it was that a funny looking kid (sorry Frankie) kept talking to the camera all the time.

I didn't watch it again till late in season 4, and though I enjoyed some of the episodes, it still wasn't a must-see programme. I didn't see any of season 5 and only around half of season 6. It wasn't till season 7 that I really started watching it regularly, and that fitted in well with the start of repeats on weekdays around half-way through the season.

So yeah, I'm another 'late starter', though at the same time I've been there from the start.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Interesting stories, indeed. I never realized MITM was still attracting so many new viewers so late in its run--that's a great thing! :)

Gozatron

yardgames said:
You didn't become hooked on the show until you saw the last episode!? Wow, a bit overdue. :D

Yeh, well it was because it was the final episode of the whole show it got me wanting to see them all when before i watched them just every weekend or so when i could

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Gozatron, I actually count you lucky you didn't become a fan until the last episode, because it made it easier to deal with loosing the show. All of us who had been watching it for a while were really depressed for about a week after the cancellation was announced(I definatly speak for myself right here. That's how I felt).

PBUNDY

I watched the first and second seasons of Malcolm in the Middle when it originally aired, then for some reason I stopped watching it. I continued watching it again when I saw a promo on FOX for the episode Grandma Sues and I've been obsessed with it ever since. :)