Nit-picking
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nit-picking

Default Nit-picking

Here's the thread to point out the little things you have noticed in MITM that have bothered you!

Anybody wanna go first-okay, fair enough, I'll go first

In "Day Care", when the boys are going to a Catholic church, and Dewey asks Hal "what's the deal with the T on the wall?" (referring to the Cross), the Cross doesn't have Jesus on it. Catholic's (I would know) have Jesus on the Cross. It's non-Catholic Christian's who don't.

I'm sure we could all share some examples...come on, don't leave me hangin'!

GWF! GWF! GWF!

Default Re: Nit-picking

I don't remember a mention of the church being Catholic. The only possible hint I got was in the name ("The Brethren of Calvary"), but that really means nothing. Or perhaps you could be talking about the "precepts of the covenant," but I think other churches have those too, not just Catholic ones (although certainly not Fundamentalists). Do you remember a place in the episode where they specifically said it was Catholic? I ask because I think the writers wouldn't have missed something like that if they really intended it to be a Catholic church.

Edit: Or, maybe there's an issue because they intended for the type of church to be unknown. That way, they wouldn't be picking on any denomination with the drug song and other issues up-tight people might have with the episode.
    When I go insane, I want to think I live in the Malcolm in the Middle world.

I've always assumed that church in Day Care is Protestant, because the minister is called "Reverend so-and-so" or maybe it's "Pastor so-and-so," but definitely not "Father so-and-so," which is what the script would call him if he were supposed to be a Catholic priest.

One of my favorite nits to pick is in the Alaska episode where Piama gets arrested for striking a police officer (can't remember the title--it's the one where Francis and Piama get evicted from their house.) Her police mug photo says "Mamu County," but--here's the nit!--there are no counties in Alaska; the state is too thinly populated to be subdivided into counties.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph
    Here's the thread to point out the little things you have noticed in MITM that have bothered you!

Anybody wanna go first-okay, fair enough, I'll go first

In "Day Care", when the boys are going to a Catholic church, and Dewey asks Hal "what's the deal with the T on the wall?" (referring to the Cross), the Cross doesn't have Jesus on it. Catholic's (I would know) have Jesus on the Cross. It's non-Catholic Christian's who don't.

I'm sure we could all share some examples...come on, don't leave me hangin'!
    yeah I think that was Protestant not Catholic, It did not seem Catholic and I know I went to a Catholic school until my Junior year of High School.
    Follow Malcolm in the Middle cast members on Twitter: twitter.com/MITM/cast

Be fans of Justin Berfeild's (Reese) new production company, Virgin Produced on Facebook and Twitter

and while you are at it, add me on facebook and twitter

Didn't they refer to the priest as "Father"?
    GWF! GWF! GWF!

Maybe the authors simply wanted to let the audience have a doubt on it !

As for the name of the family (which is actually "Nolastname"), or the city where they live, these elements are not shown so the spectators are not prejudiced against the familly or their beliefs !

For the "T on the wall", I just thought it was a funny gag, I didn't search further !

Smunday - The boys are grounded from going outside, but yet get on the roof and throw the stuff off of it.

Smunday - Dewey has a candy problem that isn't revealed until the company picnic, but eats the candy without any problem.

Dewey's had a candy problem before and I don't think it's been completely ignored--it's just not quite as serious as it becomes in Company Picnic. And they can go outside because no one is keeping them inside--I mean, Lois is sick in bed and Hal's at work.

Quote Originally Posted by yardgames
    Dewey's had a candy problem before and I don't think it's been completely ignored--it's just not quite as serious as it becomes in Company Picnic. And they can go outside because no one is keeping them inside--I mean, Lois is sick in bed and Hal's at work.
    But earlier, they were afraid to go outside out of fear of getting caught. The only way that could be explained is that when they did go outside, Lois knew it wasn't sunday, but theres no proof to that.

@The Daycare nitpick- Im pretty sure it wasn't a Catholic church. If it were, then the pastor would have been father instead, and like Murph said, a Catholic cross would have a image of Christ on it. Plus, the women who worked at the church would have been nuns if it were Catholic.

@The Smunday nitpick- Dewey actually did have a sugar problem even then because he drank tons of those sugary orange sodas and he started jiggling on the couch and his eyes got big(sugar rush!).

@Cheerleader(this is a small nitpick)- After Reese thinks about leaving the cheer squad, he tries cutting up his uniform until Malcolm is able to persuade him not to. Later, near the end of the episode when the squad is in the triangle, if you look at Reese's uniform, it has stitches all in it. I wonder why they didn't give him a new uniform?
    Oh, also about "Cheerleader"(and the rest of the show)- What became of Reese and Wendy's relationship? It was never explained for the rest of the show and that was the only episode Wendy was ever in.