Sloppy syndication...

simon_4420

No the previous show lasts until 19:35 so MITM has a 25 minute slot to take it up to the hour. The average episode of MITM is about 21 minutes (including cold openers and credits) so the other 4 are just clips for up and coming shows that the BBC will be airing that week. That doesn't take into account if MITM started 1 or 2 minutes late due to other shows over running.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
From that standpoint, I actually like commercials. At least over here, everything gets done and starts at exactly the same time. :D

reese35

Yeah, but at the same time, they're a burden. You don't really, in good conscience, know when they're coming back (which especially makes it hard when you're recording - at least not until you got a good hang of it).

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I record the whole thing, then just use the computer to edit out the commercials. Much easier. :D And it has to be on the computer to burn a DVD anyhow.

Murph

yardgames said:
3 commercial breaks in 20 minutes is not normal. :D But we don't have any TV taxes, so we do have to put up with commercials. Europeans think of all the cool legislation!

@Simon if it doesn't start until 5 minutes past the hour, you actually have about 7 minutes to fill between each program--that's a long time for station promos!

Na, they just start the next show early, only around two minutes of BBC Promo's.

D

Deleted member 1693

Agh, I've found a pretty bad syndication error.

In "Victor's Other Family", they cut out Reese's quote about Canadian doorbells. They also cut some of the scene directly after the cousin's phone conversation with his ecstatic girlfriend, which I thought was a great bit.

I'm not too happy with those guys after noticing the change.

MalcolmFun

I have multiple episodes recorded from the original air date. Anytime I see those on reruns it is dreadful how the cuts are done. It makes me wonder what I have missed since I have actually seen most of the series in syndication and not the original air.

PBUNDY

In that same episode, Victor's Other Family, they also cut out the line at the end where Lois is talking about how her "dad" locked her in the closet and got her drunk. In the original airing she also stated that on her wedding day he told Hal he could do better.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1693

Hm... I actually heard those lines about Victor when I watched the show on Fox the other day. Weird. But I didn't hear the one about Hal.

MalcolmFun

I noticed in the episode were Jessica first appears and babysits some pieces of dialogue are cut between Jessica and the boys. Reese's lines saying he will roll around in the mud and go to bed that way was cut down to him just saying "no" he wont take a bath.

That cut almost had a kind of weird reverse censorship because with all the lines there the humor is Reese is acting like a little kid. With that gone it is almost ambiguous you might think it was just one teenager asking another to take a shower, which has umm different connotation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1693

Interesting. I didn't know that this editing could make that much of a difference to the meaning of the story.

...I like finding these changes, I'll continue watching for them.