Can anyone help me with playing video files?

Amigo22

Super Moderator
I can't get some video files to play :mad:. I've tried WMP, Windows Movie Maker, QuickTime and DivX, none of which will recognise the files. They are listed as "Video Clip" files, not .AVI or anything like that, and none of error messages gave any indication of additional codecs/plugins being required to view them. :( Can anyone help?

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
First we need to figure out what file extension it has, then hopefully we can figure out if it's a codec issue or a corrupt file, or if you don't have an appropriate player. To see your file extensions:

Open any folder > click on the 'Tools' menu > click on Folder Options > click on the 'View' tab > Remove the check from 'Hide extensions from known file types'

Then go back and look at the file name and you should be able to see the extension behind it.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
I've done that now and they're .avi files.

Also they appeared in the destination folder a lot quicker than I'd expected, considering the download time was no different to other sources I've used. That could be where the problem is.

The filesize is large too so I won't be able to redownload it (well not this month anyway) because of our monthly limit :(.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Open them in Windows Media Player, right-click, and choose Properties. It should tell you which codec was used. I also recommend using VLC Media Player---you can find a copy at Download.com. In my experience, it seems to play just about anything--if VLC won't play it, then there's definitely something wrong with the files. However, I have to remind you that I hope these are not some kind of illegal files like MITM files, because you are not allowed to talk about that, per the VC's no-tolerance downloading policy. :)