Education Stuff and School Subjects

samboo1

Re: Education Stuff (Split Off From "Journal Info" Thread)

O yeah. i know a bit about that but only because ive been on the sims university!!:D

yardgames

Retired Administrator

@samboo, no we don't have A-levels, or GCSEs. What's a GCSE?

We do have other types of tests, though. The two main tests used to determine one's eligibility for college are teh ACT and the SAT; the mean nothing, or if they do it's pretty irrelevant because I don't know what they mean.

There is a council that gives each test, usually about five times per year. In your final two grades, 11th and 12th, you can take the tests as many times as you want, but generally you find out which your college of choice prefers, and take that one once or twice to get a good score.

That along with your high school grades, your extra-curricular envolvement, and some other stuff determine your eligibility for a university.

There's also a test called the AP test. This is where things get difficult. In each university, there's a set number of basic classes you have to take, regardless of what degree you choose to pursue. Many high schools offer these classes, but they're much more rigorous for a high school student, and are thus called AP, or Advanced Placement, classes. At the end of the year, you can take an AP test, and that is graded on a scale from 1-5. If you score a 3, 4, or 5, you can get college credits, or essentially test out of that class in your university, which serves time, money, and hassle.

You dont necessarily study at A-level what you want to study at universities, some people study completley different things at the two stages. And all though A-levels are indepth, are lot of the skills required are quite general and applicable to other subjects, for example, I am studying English Literature, Politics and Geogrpahy (I was studying IT but have dropped it for this forthcoming year, because I want to focus on three subjects). The skills involved in these three subjects could be considered transferable to a whole range of other subjects. In addition to this our school forces us to take an additional A Level, that many universities dont count when asking for qualifications- General Studies, in my personal oppionion a waste of time, it involves Math(s), science, humanaties (basicallly every other subject).

yardgames

Retired Administrator

samboo1 said:
O yeah. i know a bit about that but only because ive been on the sims university!!:D
See computer games ARE educational!

LOL. @Yardgames, GCSE is a compulsary qualification to be taken by all students at the end of compulsary education, i.e. 16. Students sit a range of different exams in a number fo different subjects, all studied throughout the school life and in more detailed in 2 years prior to the exams (year 10 and 11) the subjects are generally plentiful and are covered in lesser detail than at A Level, pupils take a greater number of GCSE's than A Levels. Another personal example, I took 11 GCSE's, but only 4 A-Level subjects (plus the additional general studies).

samboo1

@ yard gamesYeah, i should tell my parents that!!:cool:

yardgames

Retired Administrator

@dewey rules: LOL? Well, sorry, but I don't know :(

admin

Retired Administrator

This will help you yardgames! :D

GCSE = General Certificate of Secondary Education

You have to get this certificate in English, Maths and the 3 Sciences + 1 Modern Language.

A-Level = Advanced Level

You don't need these, but if you don't you probably won't be able to go to uni

We have SATs as well, only they are in years 3, 6 and 9.

@admin I also thought you had to take exams in : You have to get this certificate in English, Maths and the 3 Sciences + 1 Modern Language. But in actual fact you don't. You are strongly advised that you do, however exceptions can be made, particuarly in reference to the MFL and the sciences. I was shocked when I found out, as I had always been told at school that these subjects, as well as Technology and RE were compulsary. They lied :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator

That must be really complicated! Two people together can hardly figure it out :)

admin

Retired Administrator

I no tech isn't complusory, I dropped that in Year 9, but it is compulsory to do RE, but not as a GCSE.

Some people dropped French at our school due to Dyslexia, but otherwise everyone had to do it.

admin

Retired Administrator
Top 2 favourite and least favourite school subjects

I know we've probably had one of these type of threads before, but since we've had so many new members since one of these last cropped up I thought I'd make one!

Simply says what your 2 favourite subjects at school are/were, and your 2 most hated subjects at school are/were.

My two favourite subjects are
Chemistry and Biology

My two hated subject were Drama and Technology but luckily I've quit them since year 9, or 8th grade to our US members.

See this website for US/UK Grade/Year comparision table:
http://www.education-otherwise.org/Trivia/UK-US%20Comparison%20Chart.htm

samboo1

Re: Top 2 favourite and least favourite school subjects

Mine are;

Favourites-Drama, because i love it, its funny (how can you not like it Admin! Do you get to choose if you want it or not?) and english because im good at it, and i enjoy things i excel at.
least favourites- Maths because i dont understand most of it and physics because it involves maths!

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
I liked history the best in high school, but now I'm starting to like science a lot more. This year I"m taking Biology 101 and we do a lot of cool labs. Anything but math! :D

D

Deleted member 1693

Subjects? Hrm... I love Core (homeroom, teacher and kids are great), I hate Latin (because of my teacher, but I'm great at it), Math is OK (people in it are hilarious), Science is cool (but I'm currently failing), Options is great (cool off period at the end of the day), but PE has always sucked (I've got vestibular issues; feel free to ask about it. my teachers push me too hard despite this).

I used to be a prodigy. I kind of made a sacrifice to taste a little bit of social interaction. In elementary school, I came to class every day, sat at the front of the class, always got honors, was always the go-to girl, memorized my library card number (still know it), was always being cheated off of, was doing extra work and even buying WORKBOOKS for fun, was the teacher's favorite student, got special privileges, learned to read before I could walk, had the best artistic ability, had PERFECT musical pitch and learned several piano songs without sheet music and on my own (still can), spent ALL of my snack and lunch time reading in the library, never talked to anyone, mostly played challenging video games and writing small fiction novels at home all the time... the list goes on... and on.... You know the "genius" test Malcolm took in the Pilot? I took those, of my own accord, every single day, for weeks. I still remember the lady who tested me, Lorretta. I was very passionate about my intellect. Nothing was more important.

I have hidden that unhealthy obsession since, (it got to the point where my mom had to beg me to stop taking those "weird" tests and banned me from workbooks, piano, etc)... And I do an alright job. But I'm still a pariah. I still only have two good friends. I repel everyone else. I try... I try. But now I'm stuck in the middle of being that creepy nerd or being normal! And I can't exactly go to either end... On top of being bitter, of course. :)

My wit has definitely been dumbed down a lot from then. It's probably for the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1693

Rain comes occasionally. We're... almost lucky our PE coach is so safety conscious.

...She cares so much about those stupid puddles on the field hockey field, but she still won't acknowledge my actual physical issues! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Amigo22

Super Moderator
You're lucky you didn't have this real b***h PE teacher I had in Grade 10. I still can't believe the s**t she made me do, like piggybacking this really fat kid across the court, and another time I had to get passed along a whole line of other kids, and they all thought it was funny to let go of me. Had it been on concrete I'd have cracked my head open. I also had some idiot throw a ball at my face and knocked the lense out of my glasses. And those are just the things I can remember at the moment.

D

Deleted member 1693

I can't say I've had as bad an experience as you have. But life is generally harder if your balance is forever thrown off and your spine is slightly warped. You can't climb things, play sports, or move in the same way as anybody else. For instance, it is biologically impossible for me to do a full sit-up.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
You're lucky you didn't have this real b***h PE teacher I had in Grade 10. I still can't believe the s**t she made me do, like piggybacking this really fat kid across the court, and another time I had to get passed along a whole line of other kids, and they all thought it was funny to let go of me. Had it been on concrete I'd have cracked my head open. I also had some idiot throw a ball at my face and knocked the lense out of my glasses. And those are just the things I can remember at the moment.
Did she move from Australia to LA? Is that what makes it "lucky" that Lucky didn't end up with her?