Education Stuff and School Subjects

Emrysgirl

Re: Education Stuff (Split Off From "Journal Info" Thread)

J. : our school (in StL) has 1-5 elementry, 6-8 middle, 9-12 high.

Homework: you are all so lucky!:mad: Our school admits to about 1/2 an hour hwk per subject per night (and about 7 subjects, so 3 and 1/2 hours total), but in reality they give much more. Every week, I have about one 2-4 page paper, two 3-ish (not including graphs etc) labs and misc worksheets (plus studying for APs and class tests).From May 2 to May 16, I have had/ will have a total of seven 3-hour standardized tests (6 APs and SAT), one final, 2 papers, and 1 lab. Of course, I have one of the heaviest work loads in our school, but still, on average, its a lot harder.

Earlier (before 2000) I used to live in India (this probably explains discrepancies in other posts). There, you have primary until 4th grade/standard. Some schools have middle schools, but most go directly to high school. In 10th, you take some major exams. Then you decide whether you want to go into science/math or humanities based on your scores. Then you spend two years studying at a college, even though your grades still go to your school (so that you can have better teachers and better lab equipment than the school can afford). Then you officially apply to various universities where your entrance depends almost completely on your percentage on a national test. Lots of copmetition for fields such as medicine.

Aahh...long post...too many numbers!

yardgames

Retired Administrator

Well I believe I have something all Malcolm fans appear to have in common: We all have to work very hard at school. Certainly, some harder than others, but if it isn't homework it's some so-you-can-legally-be-an-adult-in-England exam.

arach

We Austrians have the same school system as Germans, except that we only have 4 years in Grammar School instead of 5.

School was pretty easy for me, I never learned anything except 2 days before an exam. In Grammer School we just had 6 subjects where we had exams: German, English, French or Latin, Maths, Biology and Physics. I never learned for English or German exams.. It's just whether you can write correctly or not. The other subjects (like Geography or History) were pretty simple, we had a test every once in a while.

Now I'm studying Genetics and Microbiology at university. It's a bit harder and more to learn, but I have much more spare time than I had in school. You do most things at home. So I'm very happy that I have decided to study. ;)

Wemboy

Wait til you lot get to uni. I finish on May 17th for the year, and i don't go back til the very end of september! It's a right doss:D

AbnormalButSane

I am out for summer already. :)
But I have to go to a summer school in three weeks then two weeks after that school I go back to regular school.
But I'm looking foward to it actually.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

I get out on June 18, but my cousion, who goes to a prep. school, he gets out before May ends. But Since band(wed., thurs., fri. nights) starts right after July 4th, I'll get about a half a month of summer vacation, only to have mon., tues., sat., sun., full days, with wed., thurs., fri. daytime only. I guess that is why Absegami wins all it's trophies for band, July to November, the band director owns you:D

Emrysgirl

I officially get out March 31. But the only real class I have left now is English.

Now that I'm free, I'm missing work (and more than the usual Summer break boredom; besides, it's only been 3 days). For the past 9-ish months, my life has revolved around studies. And now I have nothing to do. And it's the same with everyone else (that's my excuse for everything:)). There are these awkward pauses in all our conversations where we would usually be ranting about how much work we had:confused:.

In other education news, there are German exchange students at our school. I haven't seen much of them, but I have heard some bizzare stories.:Bomb:

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

1 day over of my written spannish finals, 4 more days to go, tommorrow, thursday, friday and next tuesday, with oral exams the 8, 10 of june. Then Algebra finals june 7. I now know how some of the older members feel now. :D

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

Each section is about 1 hour long, i has tofit our school timing and such, each period is 54 mins. long, so the test is borken up into 5 seperate sections. It's easier to study for:D

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

It's offical. I'm an Absegami Marching Brave. That's what our marching band is called. :D

I also recived education is Absegami's history. 7 state championships, in a row, we're going for #8 this school year. We have well over 200 trophies for various thing, we placed 2nd in the Atlantic East Coast Championship, attend festivles in Scranton, Pennslyvania, and I think we're gooing to Califoria next year. I don't know where yet.

AND We march to a military type thing, "parade rest" or "at ease" in the military, "atten hut!", the exact thing in the military, and "Horns up", or "present arms" in the military

yardgames

Retired Administrator

Well, my school won the girls state basketball tournament, AND became a recognized Green and Healthy School, and advanced a player to the golf championship, and our band went to see a Nascar race and visit Universal Studios...during the school year!

yardgames

Retired Administrator

BUMP

So, what is a so-called "free period" in English school?

BTW, in America it's elementary school --> middle school (AKA junior high) --> high school
In elementary school: Kindegarten, 1st grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade
Middle: 6th, 7th, 8th
High: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12, AKA freshman, sophomore, junior, senior

*Note this is just the general rule; some districts are more complicated than this, including additional "intermediate" schools, or different breaks in the grade.

In UK, its generally Primary school (Reception (age 4)- Year 6 (age 11), then Secondary/High/Grammar School (All the same, just a differing name) (Year 7(Age 12) to either Year 11(Age 16) or Year 13 (Age 18). Some schools have 6th forms which is a part of the school for students age 16-18 to study for their A-Levels. However others go to different institutions providing the same service, i.e. education for those aged 16-18. Although education is only compulsary up to the age of 16 (year 11) after that you no longer have to take part in education.

Basically in 6th form (or college, Im gonna refer to it as 6th form to avoid confusion with US instutions & because I go to 6th form rather than college), due to the fact, generally a student only chooses to study 4 subjects (though more subjects can be taken), there are not enough lessons to fill the students timetable everyday of the week. Therefore they are left with 'free' periods, a time at which no offcial lesson has been allocated, however the student is expected to independantly study in this time. In my personal case, at the school I attend, in year 12 all the free's become supervised study with a teacher (due to the strict nature of my school), however in year 13, students are allowed to leave the school if they have free periods in the afternoon, although they are expected to stay at school, before lunchtime and if they have any other lessons in the day. There therfore is a need for a common room, a large area for the students to relax and study in (I assume these are present in the US). Sorry if this explanation is confusing, but its late. Maybe Dewey and David could help on any aspects I havent explained brilliantly, as I believe they have both been through the British educational system.

Bloody quick poster! An A-level is an optional qualification taken for two years (year 12 and 13) 16-18. Year one is the AS Level, a student generally chooses about 4 subjects to study, these subjects are then studied in greater depth and at a higher level than any previous qualifications. At the end of the first year you take a number of exams in each subject to determine a preliminary grade, A-E. You can then keep studying all your subjects for the next year or 'drop' some, i.e. stop studying them. The second year is called A2, You study different aspects of your subjects and once again take tests at the end of the year, the grades for these tests are combined with your AS grades to give you an overall grade (A Level). The A level is used to determine which university you can go to, i.e. the higher the grade the better the university (or thats how its supposed to be, although there is a lot of controversy at the moment).

Just like to add this acount of the A Level is kinda personalised, based on what I doing, if anyone has any differing information about their own personal circumstances please post.

samboo1

Its funny i always thought that america had a-levels and gcse's and stuff like that.;)

yardgames

Retired Administrator

So you basically have to decide what you want to do for the rest of your life when you're 16 years old?

In America, you choose general classes then, but basically you can take all sorts of basic classes on many subjects, if you'd rather. In most American universities, you don't even have to declare a major (e.g. the major thing you continue to study and get a degree in) until the end of your freshman year (that is, first of usually four years.)