Education Stuff and School Subjects

Wemboy

Re: Education Stuff (Split Off From "Journal Info" Thread)

Well just to confuse matters further, if you're at uni in the uk you can graduate with either a 1st, a 2.1, a 2.2 or a 3rd, in descending order. A first is an average of 70 percent or above, 2.1 60%, 2.2 50% and third 40%, otherwise you fail. Seeing as i don't have a computer, i find my self accessing this website when i'm in the library trying to write essays, or meant to be at a lecture, like right now for instance.:) So basically i reckon thanks to this website, i might just scrape a third:D! No seriously, it actually helps to keep me sane reading these posts, and getting some of my own thoughts down, as they are often far more interesting than, for example, early medieval Merovingian hagiography (don't worry i don't actually know what that means either).

Oh and TJPeople, re. that stuff about ucas points, i found most unis still tended to focus on the actual grade you got, and not really bother with ucas points, which was alot simpler, although i think they should just pick one system and stick with it!

Emrysgirl

PHP:
various honors classes are worth 2

Oh boo! We get zilch for Honors or AP:(. But we do have a separate H grade (5.0):D which is only available in these classes and requires an A+ and an extra project. But we're the last year that can get H's. They eliminated them. Also all PE and Health courses are worth 1/2 of regular courses.

allison

Wow, that´s all pretty complicated. I never heard of E´s and U´s either. I always thought it´s A (best),B, C, D and F (worst).
In Germany we have a totally different school system. When you are bad at 2 subjects or very bad at 1, you have to repeat the whole year. I think that´s pretty stupid and unfair, because if you´re just bad at some subjects, it doesn´t matter if you´re good at other subjects. Our grades are 1 (best), 2 (good), 3 (ok), 4 (still ok, but not great), 5 (pretty bad), 6 (too bad, if you have a 6 on your report card you´ve failed).
When you´re in the 12th or 13th grade it´s even more complicated. Now we just have points (15 is the best, 0 is the worst).
Ok, this is very off topic now. :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator

Just how many grades do you have? There's just twelve in the US.

allison

We have 13 grades when you´re on a "better" school (wow, that sounds kind of arrogant now):D You have to go to school for at least 9 years.
Hauptschule = 9 years
Realschule = 10 years
Gymnasium = 13 years

I think it´s different from the American school system. I´m not sure, but as far as I know everyone goes to elemantary school, then Junior High and after that to Highschool, right? But here it depends on your grades what kind of school you frequent. I think our system isn´t that great because some people aren´t very good students when they´re younger (so they go to "Hauptschule" or "Realschule") but then become pretty good when they grow older. So your future rides in a way on the grades you had when you were 10, and that´s pretty stupid in my opinion.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

I tend to agree. In the United States, you must attend all twelve grades, and some states have laws that require you to pass an exam before you graduate (mine isn't one of them.)

I must say, it's quite interesting hearing about your different educational systems. Amigo, what are things like in Australia?

Amigo22

Super Moderator

We have 12 grades here, 1 - 7 is primary school and 8 - 12 is High School. After Grade 10 there are two different pathways you can choose from:

1) OP (Overall Position) which is for anyone doing university courses, and they require a certain OP result to get into. Subjects are the normal Maths, Sciences etc)

There is also a TAFE institution which is similar to university but an OP is not always required, which leaves options open because some people leave school at the end of Grade 10 or 11 (in most cases they are leaving to take a full time job but there are also dropouts) and others have a break between finishing school and commencing further study.

2) Vocational/Non OP subjects - there is a good range of subjects so that you can choose subjects that both relate to the career you want to pursue (Hospitality, Early Childhood Studies, Health/Fitness etc) and also your personal interests (Art, computing, woodwork, sewing etc). Maths and English are compulsory subjects but are MUCH easier than regular/OP, and also it's stuff you actually need to know for everyday life, not crap that they make you learn for the sake of it.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

It varies in America, sometimes 1-6 is primary, 7-8, middle school, and 8-12 high school, then college. In some places it's 1-5 primary, 6-8 middle, but high school remains the same at 8-12. There are others, but those are the two variations I'm famlliar with. I have the first one I mentioned.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

Here, we have a new concept called an "intermediate school." Comes between primary and middle, so 1-4 is primary; 5-6 is intermediate; 7-8 is middle; 9-12 is high. THis is a result of our district not being prepared enough for the growth it experienced.

Amigo22

Super Moderator

New Zealand has Intermediate School as well - Primary is 1 - 6, Intermediate 7 - 8 and High School 9 - 13.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

Do you have summer breaks around the rest of the world? We generally get about a week or two more than two and a half months here in the US.

Problem is, it doens't start for another month. I'm at the point where I am completely burned out and finding it quite impossible to do anymore homework, or to do much of anything. There have been a couple times in the last week where I was reading through posts here, and just decided I didn't feel like it any more. I need a break from teh grindstone; there must be a better way to educate people.

admin

Retired Administrator

Our system is great in the UK

We use this system

September - School Starts
October Half Term - 1 week off
Christmas - 2 weeks off
Februrary Half Term - 1 week off
Easter - 2 weeks off
May Day Bank Holiday - 1 day off
May/June Half Term - 1 week off
Summer Holidays - 6 weeks off
+ 5 inset days throughout the year, usually mondays or fridays.

Usually we get 1 or 2 snow days a year as well, and people with exams usually get exam leave. This year I am getting 6 weeks of for 5 days of exams.

We (The 6th Form) have 11.45AM days at the end of a term, and 3:00PM end of a half term.

School usually finishes as 3.40PM, official we get 1h40mins homework a night, but usually I do it all at school.

I have prefect duty on a thursday.

Thats the UK system pretty much and some more specific stuff about my school :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator

You have a legal limit on homework? That's awesome, sure wish that were true in the US!

So you get like a zillion days off during the school year, but only six weeks in summer. Interesting indeed.

admin

Retired Administrator

yardgames said:
You have a legal limit on homework? That's awesome, sure wish that were true in the US!

So you get like a zillion days off during the school year, but only six weeks in summer. Interesting indeed.
there isn't a legal limit as such, its just our schools' recommended limit for six formers, no one does anywhere near that, except for the odd essay, the average i do is about 20 mins a night.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member

i depends what u study. I have bascially the same system as david. however i take art a-level and that mean producing huge amounts of course work and i mean huge! there have been many a night where i am up till 4am. also young enterprise sometimes mean in up till the small hours (but thats cause i leave it to the last minute)

I have never had a snow day in my live!
we dont get 'prefect duty' till the upper 6th form. I am currently however runnning for head boy (which if i get would be really cool its down to pupils+teachers voting)

allison

It´s pretty similiar here. We have lots of days off during the year, but only six weeks in summer. There isn´t such thing as a recommended limit of schoolwork. Sometimes you really get tons of homework whereas other days can be kind of relaxing. What is an exam leave? Sorry if this is a silly question, but does it mean that you don´t have to go to school during this time except when you´re taking your exams? That´s pretty interesting.

admin

Retired Administrator

yep in exam leave we don't have to go to school, unless we have an exam

allison

That´s really cool, because you can concentrate on these subjects then. When we take tests we also have to study a lot of other stuff besides that subject and that really sucks.

yardgames

Retired Administrator

School systems around the world should take this thread and use it to single-handedly revolutionize the world's schools, based on the best and worse ideas presented here.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

Wow, this is so cool, just to learn about different school systems.

yardgames said:
School systems around the world should take this thread and use it to single-handedly revolutionize the world's schools, based on the best and worse ideas presented here.
YES!! I wholeheartedly agree! But for me, I start school in July, because Marching Band is a subject in my school.;)

Absegami(my high school) Marching band went to Texas, from New Jersey, (and to those not familiar to US Geography, about half way across the country) and won a competition.