Frankie Muniz's racing result

Nico21

Hi everybody,

I've just seen the results of yesterday's San Jose Grand Prix (here), and it seems Frankie doesn't have a very good place in it (He's ranked 21th even though he was 18th at qualifying).

But the 'status' column mentions 'Off course' after 21 laps. Do you know what happened ?

I'm trying to find information about this race, but I don't see any updated website that explains it.

Thanks for your answers !

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Oof, that's pretty harsh. Doesn't look like Frankie's racing career is going too well. Im hoping he'll get better, though, and I know he will if he keeps at it.:)
And Nico, I don't know if you have or not, but try the NASCAR official website and they might have something there.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
He races in Formula One, I don't believe they're affiliated with Nascar. He's not doing too well, is he?

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Huh. Sorry I got it mixed up. Im not really into racing that much.
Anyways, just asking, but is everyone hoping his racing career ends so he will go back to acting?:) ;)

Nico21

he is not really in formula one, he is in formula BMW (the engines are limited to 140 bhp, which is far from formula one !).

The official website of the race is sanjosegrandprix.com, but I don't see anything about what happened during the race.
The results from my first post come from formulabmwusa.com, but there are no comments neither on frankie's race.
And frankie's website frankiemunizracing.com is not updated yet with these new results.

So I don't know what happened during the race, and why frankie is 'off course'.

About his results, it wasn't very good at the beginning, but then it was going better and better... until yesterday !

I read some interviews of frankie, he said racing was his dream, so I hope he'll get better too !
And it's not sure that he will go back to acting if he doesn't succeed in racing, he told he wanted to stop acting for at least 5 years to be considered as an adult actor when he comes back !

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
No, Formula One is in no way affiliated with Nascar. It's a shame that Frankie isn't doing so well with his racing career since he was so excited about it and says that it's his dream job. But like Tony mentioned, maybe if it doesn't work out he'll go back to doing more TV/movies, which would be good for us (hopefully he will do some better movies than the ones he's supposed to be working on now though cause they don't sound like they're going to very good.) :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Is Frankie really still on this "adult actor transition" crap!? Damn, I mean, not to be harsh on him, but I'm sick of hearing about it! First he tells us that acting after hsi 18th birthday is enough of a transition to him, and a couple months later the only roles he can find are for ACB or other "kid" titles and he suddenly feels like he'll never make that transition. He would make it fine if we would keep acting, quit complaining like Malcolm, and up his ante rather than waiting for casting directors to up their's. I'm sorry, but this ticks me off just a little bit. We all have our imperfections--even if it took Frankie years to realize his perfect teeth and perfect eyes and perfect hair didn't make him perfect. Frankie looks too young to play any sort of real adulty person. And that's the way it is. And maybe in five years that will change, but by then no one but MITM freaks will remember the name Frankie Muniz!!!! Frankie needs to take any role he can get until he gets enough choices where he can pick and choose. He doesn't have MITM to fall back on anymore. Sure, he could just retire now if he wanted to, but in my opinion that would be rather selfish and rude as well. I really wish the best to Frankie and quite frankly he'll always be one of my heroes but it's still hard to envy a guy who doesn't want to act because there aren't any adult roles available.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Sam, your post almost made me stand and clap.:) I agree with everything you said. Like you, I like Frankie and I wish him all the best in the future, but I also think he needs to decide on what he's going to do and he needs to take the roles he can get for now until he really, really establishes himself.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
I agree, Frankie looks way to young to play adult roles right now, but he needs to stay in the business and not take a lot of time off. Like yardgames said, no one will remember him in five years except die hard MITM fans so he won't be a big enough star to cast in any major roles.

On the other hand, I don't think he should accept just anything that comes along. The movie he's working on now--Parental Guidence Suggested--sounds really, really stupid (sorry, but it does.) There's a discussion on it here for those who haven't heard what it's about. If he keeps doing stuff like that he'll lose all credibility and no one will ask him to do any major roles in that case either.

Ryebeach

Frankie crashed in both races this past weekend. He wasn't injured but that's why his score comes up the way it does. He has a two year contract with Jensen so he'll be racing for at least that long.

About the whole acting thing. I guess I look at it another way. Frankie has been acting since he was at least 8 years old and in movies since he was 11. In a sense, acting is all he knows and all he's ever done. Earlier this year, I believe he found himself at a crossroads. The show he had pretty much grown up on was coming to a close, which I can only imagine how difficult that must have been for all the cast. Spending nearly 7 years of your life, especially when you're only 20, with the same people and at one job, to leave it, must be a very scary and overwhelming experience.

I think he realized that he was soon going to be beginning another chapter in his life. And while he's young enough to do it, I think he wanted to take on something fun and different and also something that he may never have the chance to do again in his life if he put it off to do another movie or TV role.

I don't know about anyone else who is over 20 but when I was 20 years old, I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. I was undecided about my future and where I wanted to be 5 years from then. In truth, I don't think anyone should have to have it set in stone what they want to do for their permanent career at 20. Try new things, take chances, go against the norm. Life's too short to just take whatever comes down the pike, in Frankie's case, the next film that comes along.

As odd, to me, as Parental Guidance Suggested sounds for a film role choice for Frankie, perhaps he took that role as a favor to a friend, or because it's something he believed in, for whatever reason. Just because it sounds strange to me, doesn't mean it sounds weird or an odd career choice to him. I believe he, as should all young people, should do whatever they feel is the right thing to do in their hearts. At the end of the day, it's only ourselves who we have to answer to and if one can't say to themselves that they did their best and tried their hardest and chose projects and jobs that mean something to them, then we're not being honest with ourselves.

That said, I believe Frankie will return to acting in the not too distant future. As it is now, his next two film roles which are already completed, will be released in 2007 and I'd venture a guess that he'll have another film role scheduled or at least announced before the end of 2006.

Anyway, that's my two cents on this topic.

Nico21

I totally agree with you (he's 20, if he doesn't try what he wants now he will have no other chances later, especially for racing), except for the end: from what I heard he plans not to return acting until he is over 25, because he says he doesn't want to be stucked in the character of Malcolm.
It seems he wants people to forget him, to appear later as an adult actor.

To my mind it's not the best way (as you said he will certainly have difficulties to play leading roles in movies if only a fiew people remember him), but that's his choice !
And I can understand him, if he goes on acting now he may not really be convincing in serious roles, because we think about Malcolm as soon as we see him !

For yesterday's race (the original subject of my thread), I didn't think it was an accident because his status was 'off course' (whereas some other pilots had 'accident').
I'm sorry for him, and I hope he will do better at next race !

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
After reading Sam and Christina's posts, I actually agree with both of them(Sam-Frankie needs to take what roles he can get BUT Christina-He should choose at least some GOOD stuff). I read about that "Parental Guidance Suggested" and it looks like a stupid, stupid, movie. And as soon as I read that it had the writers from "Not Another Teen Movie", I almost threw up. Those guys can't write anything funny, just disgusting and revolting.
Man, I feel bad for Frankie right now. I REALLY wish he hadn't taken this role. Anyways, whoever wrote that article was(I guess) trying to be funny when they said we always wanted to see Frankie..uh...."fudge" a chicken. I wish I could find whoever wrote that and shove my foot up his a$$.
Anyways, back on topic, I really hope Frankie improves his racing abilites. And Im also praying for him not to get injured in one of his races(from what Nico said, he crashed twice!).

Ryebeach

Just throwing this out there...

With a film that has over 70 speaking parts, I don't imagine Frankie will have a very large role in Parental Guidance Suggested. Perhaps only a cameo.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Very good points, Rye. Your post made me think about the situation in a somewhat different light. I can honestly say that most people don't know exactly what they want to do at 20 (myself included) and I agree that Frankie should defintely pursue racing for a couple of years if he wants to--especially if it's his dream job, as he claims. There's no harm at all in looking into other options and doing something fun that he really wants to do. I can also see what's he's saying about people thinking of him as Malcolm regardless of which role he plays. But I guess that's a common problem for any actor who plays one particular role for a long time.

I just worry that if he ultimately wants to return to acting (as he also claims) or the racing career doesn't work out that he'll miss out on a lot of opportunities if he waits too long. I think what he's doing now--completing acting projects on the side while still keeping the racing as his main focus for the time being is a pretty good strategy. That way, he won't totally disappear from the acting business for any length of time. My other main concern is that if he continues to accept movies like Parental Guidance Suggested, people aren't going to take him seriously. It's just something (obvious) about the description of that movie that really turns me off and I have a hard time believing that Frankie would accept such a role with his popularity and past successes. :eek: Like you said though, maybe he has a small part or did it as a favor for a friend. And hopefully it will turn out a lot better than the description suggests. :D

As for the racing, I hope Frankie does well in his future races. I too feel bad for him that he hasn't done so well in the past few. He's still a rookie in the business so I'm sure it will take a while to perfect his skills. More importantly, like Tony, I hope that he continues to be safe because racing is such a dangerous sport (especially those F1 cars that don't even have a top on them!!)

I can't answer the initial question posed in this thread because I don't really follow the F1 or BMW racing because they aren't aired in the US (to my knowledge). If he went "off course," I assume that means that his car left the track and went into the infield, probably as the result of him losing control of the car for one reason or another. This could also be classified as an accident, especially if the car spun around or anything like that. Not a bad accident like actually crashing into another car or another object though. (I don't know what really happened, I'm guessing based on seeing things like that happen in Nascar--not that I'm a big fan of that either. My dad loves it though! :D )

Nico21

If it's not aired in the US, I think it's not aired anywhere !
In France we never hear about these races.

And Frankie is not a F1 driver, he races in formula BMW. It's not really the same, as I said engines are limited to 130 bhp (whereas formula one engines do more than 700 bhp for about the same weight).

I think Ryebeach answered my question, he told frankie had an accident in both races of the week end. But I found no other informations about it on websites, I still think it's strange they didn't mention 'accident' in the results' grid instead of 'off course'.

Nico21

tony_montana said:
Im sure they said "off course" because it sounds nicer than "crashed" or something.:D
Of course they would not write 'crashed' :D ...

But look at the "status" column in the results' grid here, the different status are "runing", "off course", "accident", "mechanical"...
So I think they could have written "accident" instead of "off course" if Frankie really crashed his car !

I hope his website will be updated soon so as we could know with details what really happened !

Ryebeach

Nico21 said:
Of course they would not write 'crashed' :D ...

But look at the "status" column in the results' grid here, the different status are "runing", "off course", "accident", "mechanical"...
So I think they could have written "accident" instead of "off course" if Frankie really crashed his car !

I hope his website will be updated soon so as we could know with details what really happened !
Nico,

I found this info on Frankie's past two races in two seperate articles I read, one on Sunday and the other yesterday AM. I'll see if I can find the articles and post the links here but I don't believe I have the links any longer.

Nico21

As I originaly answered to your post, I believe what you said :) .

I just thought it was strange they didn't simply write "accident" on the race report. There must be a reason for this (simply a mistake ?).