What was the greatest Season of Malcolm?

reese35

OK, mine.
  1. season 6 (Really, undeniably, definately LOVED IT!!:D:D)
  2. season 1 (Really loved it)
  3. season 7 (Definately loved it)
  4. season 2 (Loved it more than 4)
  5. season 4 (Loved it)
  6. season 5 (Liked it)
  7. season 3 (Liked it too.)
I guess I'm the rebel kid here. lol

patrick4488

tony_montana said:
Wow..how'd you miss all those episodes from episode 2 to episode 22?

well maybe miss isn't the right expression, it wasn't aired in our tvs yet, (now season 6 is airing, this saturday "motivational seminar" will be aired, hopefully we'll get to see season 7 after season 6, but we're used to the fact that we always have to wait long for it...:( )

Nico21

Same for me, season 7 has not been aired here neither.
They only aired the 3 first episodes as a preview at the end of season 6.

I know it will be aired on September, I just have to wait...

But now that I've already seen half of the episodes in english, I think this season is finally a good one (I previously answered that it was not one of the bests for me because actors started being too old, but this is not my point of view anymore !).
Many storylines are very funny, I definitely enjoy this last season !

Season 7 is definitely my favorite, with 6 as a close second. As others have said, I also believe that the show got better from season to season as the boys grew older. Of course, there's also a time to sit down and watch those first season scenes and have a good laugh.

My main reason for picking the seventh season mainly comes from how, even after so many episodes, the MitM writers didn't run out of ideas. In particular, I'm very impressed with Health Insurance, Bride of Ida/College Recruiters, and Lois Strikes Back. Even when some themes were repeated (such as another episode with Halloween), they never failed to make hilarious new episodes to keep up with the viewers' expectations.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Halloween is one of my favorite episodes! I definitely like it better than Halloween Approximately. The old man was hilarious! To me, Halloween Approximately was decent--especially the car plot--but one of the few episodes where I felt like the show was geared toward little kids. That and Bully and a couple other episodes, primarily from season 2.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Well, they were little kids in season 1 and 2. :D I liked Halloween a lot better too, overall. Everyone had a great plot in that episode. Halloween Approximately has one of my favorite quotes though--Reese: "We own you all! No one is safe! We are the kings of this block! Did you hear me world? Violence just got a little more random!" And one of my favorite cold openers--the one where they're eating all the spoiled food in the refridgerator. :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Well, all the seasons have little kids--I meant I felt in thsoe episodes like it was a little kid show. And MITM is by no means a little kid show during most episodes.

Malcoholic

For pure comedy, Season 2 was my favorite. For dramatic/sentimental content, Season 7 was by far my favorite. In Season 2, the three boys at home were just the right age to be hilarious, and for their crazy antics to be entirely credible; they clicked together as a comic threesome in a way that didn't quite carry through when they were older. In Season 7, the approaching coming of age of Malcolm and Reese created a dramatic tension that was more powerful than in previous seasons. Some of my favorite Season 7 episodes were much more dramatic than funny--Lois Strikes Back, Army Buddy, Reese vs Stevie. For an acting junkie like me, Season 7 was heaven--the dramatic tension raised the level of the cast's performance to new heights. Some scenes even made me cry. (I won't say which, because, as all Malcolm viewers know, guys aren't supposed to talk about their feelings!)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
See, Tony, if Ralph can cry during season 7, can't I cry during the end of Reese Comes Home!?

Anyway, I find it interesting that those were your favorite episodes from season seven because those, while I still enjoyed them, were my least favorite. I enjoyed Burning Man and Halloween, as well as Stevie in the Hospital and Morp the most. Halloween was just sort of for pure comedy, but Stevie in the Hosptial and Morp had that sense of dramatic tension, which I enjoyed.

I guess overall I enjoy MITM more than other sitcoms because it's not designed to be a laugh-out-loud show. I mean, it's funny, but sometimes you have to think to get the jokes. You have to be able to understand the family and the characters. Once you understand what makes the Wilkersons tick, you can understand all the subtle little jokes and entertainment in the series.

Nico21

I've a little question about "burning man": is it an invention from the authors of MITM or does this event really exist in the US (or somewhere else) ?

Many members here seem to really like this episode, personnally I think it's a weird one !

yardgames

Retired Administrator
No, it's a real event, check it out! http://www.burningman.com/

I think that the episode becomes a lot more enjoyable if you understand the concept. I read about it last summer when the spoilers for it came out. And now I've made it my life mission to get to Burning Man sometime. :D

Nico21

Thanks for the answer.

I didn't know at all this event, so this episode was just strange for me !

The begining of season 7 is being re-aired in a few days here (in France), so I'm going to watch this episode again, maybe I'll enjoy it more than the first time !

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Season 7 definitely had a lot of great scenes that would be worthy of tears. Not that the show became less funny in season 7, but there were more dramatic scenes than in other seasons, as Ralph mentioned. Reese vs Stevie, Hal Grieves, Stevie in the Hospital, Lois Strikes Back, and of course, Graduation, all had some great tear-jerker scenes--not that I cried, of course. ;) :D I think they chose to add a more dramatic factor to the last season because the boys were growing up and many of the childish things that were funny in earlier seasons would have been silly now that they're older. I think adding more drama, while still maintaining the great comedy that MITM is known for, was a good choice.

yardgames said:
No, it's a real event, check it out! http://www.burningman.com/

I think that the episode becomes a lot more enjoyable if you understand the concept. I read about it last summer when the spoilers for it came out. And now I've made it my life mission to get to Burning Man sometime. :D

Burning Man starts in just 9 days! I say we all take a trip out to Black Rock City, Nevada. We may as well check out Vegas while we're there too. :D

The dramatic parts really added to the season -- they made it so that the series could end peacefully without dooming it to that end just from their existence.

It's interesting that you mention Reese vs. Stevie...it had a touching moment between Malcolm and Reese, yet not so strong that it ruined the episode, a perfect example of drama and comedy coexisting. However, I didn't like the ending so much, but that's because Stevie annoys the crap out of me. Then again, no one really wants to see a kid in a wheelchair get beaten up...

Considering no one's mentioned a favorite season in a few days, why don't we move on to the worst seasons? I vote the third (although Mr. Herkabe's intro wasn't bad).

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. :D What's wrong with Stevie? He's integral to the plot, he's Malcolm's best friend, he's managed to put up with a lot of crap--both from nature and nurture--he's saved Malcolm. How do you hate a cripple? :D

Nico21

Bentheredonethat said:
Considering no one's mentioned a favorite season in a few days, why don't we move on to the worst seasons? I vote the third (although Mr. Herkabe's intro wasn't bad).

To my mind there is no "worst" season. They're all good !
It's even hard for me to chose which one could be better than the others !

yardgames said:
How do you hate a cripple? :D

Easy, I just focus on the bad moments. I admit that Stevie has done a lot of good things, and the opposite goes for Reese, but honestly, Stevie is obnoxious. The inhaler incident in Reese vs. Stevie, for example -- he was flaunting his "immunity." Or, in Jury Duty, instead of just telling Reese he was a perv for looking at his mom (eww), he had to make a crack at how no girls ever liked him, etc. In Emancipation, when everyone else said they were sorry for not tanking the test, he said he had no regrets, just letting Malcolm fall. Also, in Goodbye Kitty, he completely ignored Malcolm's attempts to comfort him and acted like he had never been there for him. Then, when that was all done, in Kitty's Back he asked Malcolm's opinion and then got mad when he disagreed with him. I'm sure there are a bunch I'm forgetting, too. The whole gist of it is that Stevie has done a lot of good things (like saving Malcolm from his car), but his personality is what really bugs me, and maybe if something had happened that might have changed. After all, Stevie even recognized that issue for a while when he asked Malcolm if he was "abrasive" and "needlessly antagonistic." The answer, at least in my book, is yes for about half of his appearances.