The funny little things on MITM

Gozatron

Where Hal pretends to be doing D.I.Y and Dewey bashing his head on the washing machien saying

" I hate my brothers, i only like me "

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
LOL, great thread. Brings back memories. There are so many great things about MITM, but one that's fresh in my mind cause I was just talking to Tony about it today is from Jessica Stays Over. It's when Reese comes out of the crate after he thinks he's been shipped to China and Jessica's Asian boyfriend, Mike, is standing there. Reese comes out of the crate and says he's going to kick Mike's butt and Mike says "Hey, quit it" (in English, obviously), then Reese says "I don't speak Chinese, jackass!" That scene makes me laugh out loud every time. :D

Another scene I really like is from If Boys were Girls when Reese is about to beat up the old lady in the dressing room who had Malcolm pinned to the wall with her walker. And the one from Reese vs. Stevie when Reese is upset cause Malcolm will be leaving for college soon. I love all those little moments when the boys take of for each other or show that they care about each other in some way.

One important "little" moment that came to mind was the last scene of Flashback, when Hal and Lois are saying the things that they love about each other and the boys are fighting. Although it wasn't a funny scene to me, it helped assure how strong the often doubted marriage and love for the children were.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
That's such a great scene. Very emotional and it really drives it home how much Hal and Lois love each other no matter how hard things might get.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Not trying to change the subject, but I must ask why people "doubt" Hal and Lois's marriage? What is there to doubt?:confused:

I guess I mean people doubt the stability of the marriage. As shown in Health Scare and Mono, "friends" and family alike tend to think a divorce is likely.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I don't think he means people like the audience, but rather people like those the Wilkersons know that are characters in the show.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I actually meant everyone, audience and the other people on the show. And the only reason the boys were hoping for a divorce is so they can get away from Lois.:D

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
I think the people on the show that know the Wilkerson's doubt their marriage because in their eyes it appears that Lois is so overbearing and controlling. They probably think she bosses Hal around all the time (which she does sometimes :D) and never lets him take part in any decision making. They probably think Hal is hoping for a divorce, but is too scared of her to ask for one.

I don't really see why the audience would have reason to doubt their marriage though. We've seen how devoted they are on numerous occasions even though they sometimes argue and disagree on things. It seems that all married people do that. :D

The only time it seemed that their marriage was ever in jeopardy was in the flashback scene from Lois Battles Jaime where she had no control over Francis. Before she got tough, all she and Hal did was argue and Hal said that her lack of discipline for Francis was tearing their marriage apart. Hal basically told her that unless she started being a mother to Francis, then it was over between them (in so many words.) I can't think of any other time where the audience would think they were having 'real' marital problems.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Hal doesn't want a divorce at all. No matter what happens, I know he loved Lois all through the show. :)
Now, back to the topic of this thread....one of the small things that I just remembered about MITM is those little quirky music tunes it played on certain episodes. For instance, in "Cheerleader" whenever Dewey(and at the end, Hal) watched tv, it would that stupid sounding little tune that made me crack up(that "doo doo doo do do do!").:D I also loved in "Forwards Backwards" when Malcolm and Reese were battling, it did that stupid little tune(Im gonna try to find an audio file of that somewhere so I can play it over and over).:D
Man, there are so many great things about MITM it would take probably five pages of thread to list them all.:)

bluecobweb

I like to see their imaginations, like when Dewey pretends that he is inside the orange ball like Bernard. He then flattens the tar, and Malcolm and Reese. And during Malcolm Babysits he thinks for a moment that the family is giving him a million dollars. My favorite is when he pictures himself in all the different jobs in Hal Quits, especially when he sees a girl version of himself. :D However they show these moments less as the boys grow up. I look forward to seeing If Boys Were Girls because it's a whole episode of what Lois imagines.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Lol, very good point, Bluecobweb!:)
The imaginations were a very funny part of the show. I remember the episode where Hal wanted Dewey to go sell all those candy bars so Hal could get Dewey's prize(which was either some jump shoes or a go kart). It was HILARIOUS to see Hal imagining what he'd do with the gifts!:D

Amigo22

Super Moderator
and in typical Hal manner - wanting Dewey to do all the work so he (Hal) can get the prize HE wants. Dewey didn't want to sell the bars in the first place, and Hal's actions were not helping the situation.

Candy seems to be a common fundraiser item for schools, but it is something that appeals more to children than to adults, meaning houses with children are more likely to buy it than houses without children, which becomes an issue when the children attend the same school and therefore are involved in the same fundraiser :rolleyes:

And the schools think they're making it easier when they tell you to ask your parents to ask their friends, workmates etc, but parents don't want to have to sell their kid's fundraiser stuff for them either.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
You're right; when I was in grade school, we sold pizzas and magazines instead. But door-to-door canvassing was always prohibited.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
I've just had another thought on that; school-age kids (excluding those old enough to have part-time jobs) have no idea about customer service, and they came to the door (door-to-door selling wasn't prohibited in NZ, although I have not seen it over here) and very unenthusiastically said "wanna buy some lollies?", while standing there with a box with a range of different types, acting as though you know what's in there.

In High School though, it's a lot different, because only those participating in the event or trip the money is being raised for, have to do it. It's also a lot easier in high school (from watching others doing it) because door-to-door selling isn't required - all you have to do is have your box with you and people will see you and go and buy one.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
This kinda needs to get back on topic.:D Lol, Im just playing. As Ive stated before, if Sam doesn't mind, I don't mind.:)

D

Deleted member 1693

My favorite little things were probably the songs. For example, the Minty Mints song and the tune that kept playing over Malcolm and Reese's devilish actions in "Humilithon".