What if MITM was an hour long instead of half an hour
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if MITM was an hour long instead of half an hour

Default What if MITM was an hour long instead of half an hour

While most sitcoms fill a half-hour timeslot, I was just thinking what if MITM was an hour long (or 45 mins without ads)?

Correct me if i'm wrong but I think the only hour long episode was Company picnic.

Longer episodes would give storylines more time to be developed, instead of just touching on them as so many episodes did. I think someone mentioned that Graduation would have been better as an hour long ep.

Do you think the episodes would have got too stale being longer?

Your thoughts...

Default Re: What if MITM was an hour long instead of half an hour

We live in an MTV world! Hour long sitcoms lose audiences quickly. We want humor in short, frenetic bursts. The "Malcolm" pace would not have held up for more than 1/2 hour. It's not that the material wasn't good enough ... it's that the audience isn't patient enough. Look at feature films. Dramas can go on for hours. Comedies cannot. It's just one of those things that make you scratch your head. Also, comedies rarely get nominated for Oscars ... but don't get me started on THAT one!

Hey, you calling us the audience impatient?!.....uh, your right, we are.
    I don't think Malcolm could have lived up to the strain of an hour. The plots would have had to be extended and it, in my humble opinion, would not have worked....even though I think the finale SHOULD and easily could have been an hour long.

Certainly the finale should have been an hour. There's a couple of episodes that I always think feel rushed; namely, Carnival, Burning Man, Hal's Christmas Gift, and Health Insurance. Otherwise, a half hour is generally a comfortable timeslot.

@Primehunter Company Picnic was the only episode actually shown as one hour-long episode but Baby, Reese Joins the Army, Houseboat/Emancipation, and Bride of Ida/College Recruiters were also all double episodes.

I second that. But my opinion - 43 minutes would be a more in-depth look into the plotlines. Then again, real old, real fast. So, summing it up... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Lol, I agree with Mike.
    And I still don't get why "Brides of Ida" and "College recruiters" are considered a two parter. The only thing they had in common was the continuation of Reese's marriage plot.

True, if that's a two-parter then Jessica Stays Over and Secret Boyfriend, for example, should also be.

There are load of episode that I thought were rushed and would of benefited from being more like 40 minutes, but i would have to admit that 30 minutes is much better suited to comedy like MITM ALUM already pointed out.

One particular episode I felt was very rushed was "Dewey's Opera". I would have LOVED to have seen the opera the Busey's put on based on Hal and Lois. Can you just imagine their reaction once Hal and Lois figured out it was their story being told on stage?!

I can just picture it - parents hitting the roof, grounded for life... but with a little leniancy.