"Graduation" - Lois's Expectations of Malcolm - Page 3
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Graduation" - Lois's Expectations of Malcolm

See, with Lois' speech in this episode and Hal's grief in the car store (Hal Grieves), I find season seven to be, arguably, the most emotional season. Both these moments make me teary.

The speech? Because Lois is telling Malcolm that he can be president, because he will be able to do it, he deserves it, and everything he does he will be successful at. She is showing how completely she loves her son, by placing complete faith in what she knows he can do.

She is pretty much confirming that they are the most realistic and, ultimately, functioning family on television. Were, that is.

My point is that she is running Malcolm's life for him. Making decisions that are not up to her to decide. Graduation is only one example. She made him get a job working with her at Lucky Aide so he could be under her constant supervision. In "Stilts" also told him he'd have his precious space when SHE finds a wife for him. Which again is not her decision. And then there was Hal thinking he was the one who was going to decide which College Malcolm would go to, and hiding Malcolm's application letter to try and stop him from going to Harvard.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo22 View Post
    My point is that she is running Malcolm's life for him. Making decisions that are not up to her to decide.
    No, she's not really. Had everyone else stood back quietly and let her rant and not pour her heart out as she did, perhaps. But everyone saw exactly what she did: that he would be an amazing leader, an amazing president and that he needed to work for it to remember where he came from. Malcolm was the only one who didn't see it, because he was distracted by the shiny job offers.

Which is exactly what makes Malcolms silence so pointed, when Lois asks him to tell her that he cannot do it. They all know he can and deep down, he knwos that he can, and it will be better for him.

She made him get a job working with her at Lucky Aide so he could be under her constant supervision.
    Well, yeah, that's the kind of person Lois is. And considering the amounts of times he was going to blow off work for parties and stuff

In "Stilts" also told him he'd have his precious space when SHE finds a wife for him.
    I took that more like her taking a subtle jab at Francis and Piama, even though they weren't there, and her just attacking a spot that she knows will get a rise from him.

And then there was Hal thinking he was the one who was going to decide which College Malcolm would go to, and hiding Malcolm's application letter to try and stop him from going to Harvard.
    Hal was far more addicted to the gifts/bribes and the attention than choosing Malcolm's college.
    Last edited by tjpeople; May 13, 2007 at 01:25 PM. Reason: made quote work

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo22 View Post
    My point is that she is running Malcolm's life for him. Making decisions that are not up to her to decide. Graduation is only one example. She made him get a job working with her at Lucky Aide so he could be under her constant supervision. In "Stilts" also told him he'd have his precious space when SHE finds a wife for him. Which again is not her decision. And then there was Hal thinking he was the one who was going to decide which College Malcolm would go to, and hiding Malcolm's application letter to try and stop him from going to Harvard.
    But think about it--how many of these things are said in the heat of the moment because Lois is Lois and she wants to anger Malcolm, and how many of these things does she actually mean?

she needs to control everyones life or else she'll feel like a total failure, the people don't want an overly smart genius as their president they want an average man, supposedly. malcolm should get a behind the camera high paying job like in that one episode he was offered 500 grand a year before even going to college and lois made him turn that down of course. she takes all the money he got in a grant to buy a stupid doll house, that's not her money to spend! she has this big plans for him and then the second something she wants for him works out she takes the money he's earned by working hard and spends it on an old doll house that blows up!

in the episode "tutoring reese" she states that she'd sell malcolm down the river for reese in a second, reese doesn't deserve a chance, malcolm has actually worked and she says that malcolm may have to go to junior college and work from the bottom up to eventually management, but how would that be discovering his true potentional. i'm not saying totally turn her back on reese, he's still her son but why ruin malcolm's (or atleast prolong his adversity) just to give reese a "chance" that knowing reese he'll blow it.

malcolm has to be a janitor at harvard just to make ends meet even after whatever scholarships, lois has to stop planning out everyones life just because her great life in paris didn't come to fruition.

also: the episode "graduation" is playing monday july 23, on fox at 5:30 central time.
    Last edited by backfence; Jul 21, 2007 at 06:35 PM.

The weird thing about the way this ends is Lois' and Hal's assumption that in America the people elect the smartest person to be their President. This is so obviously false, that it's difficult to see how they could possibly believe it. Even odder, Malcolm actually accepts the proposition that he could become President on the basis of his intelligence alone - though perhaps his acceptance of this is more down to vanity and his desire to believe that he could be popular if only he chose to be so. This ending always made me feel a bit uncomfortable.

Welcome John, nice to see you took the time to dig out an old thread and contribute

If you need anything PM me, amigo22 or yardgames at anytime.
    Need help? Email Me Here

Hal and Lois think that Malcolm would make a good president, but Malcolm complains too much about everything. He'd probably spend more time complaining about things than actually coming up with ways to improve them.

A president who can't stop complaining? Hilarious.

But yes... Lois feels like she needs to be in control of her sons' lives, even after they grow up. I believe she is disappointed that she can't do this as effectively anymore and wants to push him to do one last thing.
    you wanna follow the laws of man?
    bloody apron, leg of lamb.
    it's so hard to win...
    when there's so much to lose.

People don't always elect the smartest President, but they don't always have Presidential IQs sitting in front of them either. They attempt to elect the smartest President because common logic says a smart person will make better moves than a dumb person. And if Malcolm publicizes his genius IQ of 165, that might just do the trick.