Character age confusion- Malcolm and Reese
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Character age confusion- Malcolm and Reese

Default Character age confusion- Malcolm and Reese

So I've been watching reruns of the series lately and yesterday's episode was Flashback (Season 2 Episode 25). During the credits, among others it showed actors playing Malcolm at age 4, and Reese at age 6. Now previously, I had understood that Reese was one year older than Malcolm.

So I checked the Wikipedia site and it stated the following:

Reese starts high school- early Season 3
    Malcolm starts high school- early Season 4

Malcolm celebrates birthday (turns 15 acording to wikipedia) - early Season 4

Between Episodes 2 and 7 of season 7, Reese turns 18

Now if Malcolm turns 15 in early Season 4, we can assume that he turns 18 in early season 7- Yet, Rhys turns 18 in early Season 7.

Now this makes the boys around the same age- now they can't be, as they're not twins. This is different from the 1 year of difference that is commonly implied in the series, and certainly different from the 2 years difference in the credits of Flashback.

So- Who is wrong?

Did the writers make a mistake?
    Did the wikipedia writer make a mistake?
    Was there a mistake in those particular credits?
    Heck- maybe I made a mistake!

You guys might have an idea of what it is- maybe you've discussed this before.

Cheers.

Default Re: Character age confusion- Malcolm and Reese

No one made a mistake. It's supposed to be a big mystery.

yeh, we will never know, sure they drop hints here and there but none of its concrete because the writers dont know.

Hi primehunter1 and welcome to the forums.

That's a very good question and I know the reveal by Reese in season 7 that he's 18 caused a lot of confusion amongst viewers. But as I said back then and still believe, I do not believe the writers made a mistake. Far too many people have to read the script and then view the episode long before we get to see it and someone would have caught it if it was a mistake. My personal belief is that the writers needed Reese to be 18 for either a storyline they ended up using in season 7 (not sure what that could have been though) or one that they were planning on using but didn't. I think that's why they had him reveal his age on camera.

im not saying that they dont know (which is kind of a contradiction), because it has been revealed a few times but as primehunter1 said if you work it out from all the information avaliable, it kind of doesnt add up.

It's possible, Reese could have just turned six, and Malcolm didn't turn five until later in the year.
    GWF! GWF! GWF!

Welcome to the forums--great first question. As you can see, it's a rather hot topic. Here's my personal opinion:

Wikipedia is just inferring from all the information we've been given, and that's what a lot of this is about--inferring. We know that Reese is one grade above Malcolm, because he had to repeat his senior year in high school, then graduated at the same time as Malcolm.

During Flashback, Reese could actually have been 6 and Malcolm had been 4 based on when their birthdays fall during the year. For example, Reese is technically about one year older than Malcolm, but he wasn't born one year after Malcolm to the day.

I agree with Ryebeach that a huge fuss was made over Reese being 17 in "Health Insurance" and my guess was probably that they wanted to do something with that when they went to the young "doctor," but that scene seemed awfully short; it was probably cut for time. So from a standpoint of the show as if it were real as a whole, our best bet would be that a) the writers screwed up or b) Reese forgot how old he was and Hal was too exasperated to realize it.

It's kind of funny once we begin discussing the ages of the characters when we remember that Frankie is actually over a year older than Justin and they are both in their twenties, not teens!

Yeah, that rather muddies the situation, doesn't it? Stupid Frankie, he should have been born a few years later!

OK, I found evidence that supports Rye's claim. (See, I work for the other side too ) At the beginning of Bride of Ida, Ida explains that in her home country, the children breastfeed and are treated strictly as children until the age of 16, and then they are watched closely as they're trained for a year before facing the trials to become a man. That would put it at 17. And that's the best I can think of. But he still would have to be 18 to get married (even in Vegas) and he still should be 18 within the context of the series.