Summer vacations

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Hey guys. Since I just got back, I got the idea for this thread, where we can share our vacations with each other(like if we went anywhere special).
As some of you know, I went to Louisiana for two weeks(just got back last night). It was a fun trip!:) Saw Superman Returns whilst there(GREAT movie!!!), went to a great July 4th firework show at the Boardwalk in Bossier city, and did alot of great stuff. Visited my grandparents(my very funny 78 year old, WW2 vet grandfather who chews tobacco ALL the time gave me a bolt rifle:D ).
Anyways, it was fun, BUT, yesterday morning I woke up to begin the long drive from Louisiana here to South Carolina(yes, I said drive:rolleyes: ). I got to Georgia at about 1 in the afternoon, and then there was this damned construction going on and the highway was backed up for 12 friggen miles!:mad: It took, no joke, 2 and a half hours to go through the 12 miles of construction and start actually going again. Anyways, one funny thing happened in the jam(I already told Mike about this)....whilst in the jam, every few seconds everyone was able to move MAYBE 10 inches before stopping again and waiting for the next little movement. There was a guy in the car beside me who, whilst mashing the gas and moving, was playing his guitar!:D I couldn't believe it! I had to look over at him a couple of times! The guy didn't even have his hands on the steering wheel! He was driving but playing his guitar!:D Needless to say, it provided a much needed laugh to me.:)
Anyways, what about you guys?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Not going anywhere. :( Sick of Wisconsin. :D So you didn't see Frankie in Louisiana, huh? Did you go yourself? Sounds like you had your own little "Family Reunion" with your grandfather. :)

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Well I'm still in Myrtle Beach and it's hot and humid. No suprise there. And my mom is made me do yard work today. :mad: They actually have a place here so we have to do maintence type stuff. Not much of a vacation if you ask me. :D

wando

sounds like the wilkersons trip to burning man, dewey doing loads of jobs
"vacation?!, what part of this is vacation!!"

something to that descrition anyways! have fun ;)

Murph

We (my family and I) are going to Florida on Friday, 8 and a half hour flight from here, belfast, to there, but I enjoy flying, so it shan't be too bad.

Florida itself should be amazing, though!

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Why in the world do you want to go to Florida? I lived there and let me tell you, it aint nothing spectacular.:) Just schools...and old people...

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I have to agree with comrade commander Yardgames. Universal is pretty cool, and probably one of the only reasons to go to Florida(well...Id go back to Florida to see the best collage football team, FSU, play but...:D ).

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Yeah, my vacation was a lot like Dewey's in Burning Man. Cleaning house, doing yard work... I even had to remove an entire flower bed, till up the ground by hand and help put down sod over it. That was a lot of fun in 90+ degrees temps with 90% humidity. :D Well, I didn't have to, as yardgames pointed out, but I felt it was my obligation to help out. I'm just nice that way. ;) I've never really been defiant, though I used to be quite argumentative a few years ago. :D

It was still fun though. Mainly just went to the beach. I like to sit and catch up on my reading. I don't really care for the water cause I can't see what's in it. When I went to Hawaii, it was great cause you can see all the way to the bottom no matter how deep you go. I like to be able to see what I'm about to step on and what's swimming around me. If there are good swells, I will go in and do some boogie boarding cause it's fun--even though I'm not that excitied about going in the water (I wish I knew how to surf, but haven't the opportunity to learn yet. :( ) We may go back for few days in a couple weeks. Maybe there won't be so much work to do then.

Sounds like you had fun Tony--you should have got out and walked around like the boys did in Traffic Jam while you were stuck in construction. :D

patrick4488

My summer vacations started over 3 weeks ago and will last another 6 weeks. I'm going to Kenya in 12 days and I'll stay there for 3 weeks.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Whoo--long vacation! Kenya sounds awesome!!! I wish I could go further than the other side of the river. :D Have fun!! Bring us pictures!

patrick4488

Yeah I'm sure it'll be fun, I'm going to visit a friend of mine who moved to Kenya 2 years ago.
I'll upoad some pics later on;)
How long are the summer vacations in the US?

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Kenya sounds like an awesome vacation. Have fun!

For regular school in the US, summer vacation is typically late May/early June through late August/early September (just depending on where you live.) So it sounds like you guys get about the same amount of time. Colleges usually get out around the beginning of May and start again around mid- to late August.