4 Emmy Nominations for MITM!!!

Ryebeach

tony_montana said:
When are the Emmys, anyway?
The Emmy's are always in either late August or early September. This year, they'll be held on Sunday, August 27th on NBC. :)

The Golden Globes are usually held in February. :)

How many Emmy's are there!??? Outstanding choreography- that's not a real award. Good luck Jane, you would have thought that if she is good enough to be nominated 6 times (I doubt any other actresses have been) that she is actually the right person to win the award.

MITM ALUM

Hello everyone. After 4 months without reporting for work on the "Malcolm" set, I decided to look around to see if others missed the show as much as I missed my job / friends. And, happily, I stumbled upon this site. It is refreshing to know that our hard work and passion for delivering a quality product for 7 years is and will continue to be appreciated for years to come. After 35 years in the film and television industry, I can truthfully say that "Malcolm" was the most rewarding project of my career. If anyone has any questions regarding the show, feel free to ask. For a start, yes, the schoolyard WAS located at the north end of the studio. We also used local schools when larger sets were needed. And we rarely shot inside the house used for exteriors, with the occasional exception of shots through the windows or front door. I was, sadly, present for the final days of shooting and the mood was best described as "extreme melancholy." Remember, young Erik Sullivan spent more than half his life on that set. Thank you, all, for supporting our show.

Sincerely,

Bobby Porter
2002 Emmy Award Nominee - Stunt Coordination
Malcolm in the Middle

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Hi Bobby, Welcome to the MITMVC. We get very excited when have an "insider" visit the forums. :) We all miss Malcolm dearly and we applaud you and the rest of the cast/crew for seven awesome years! The finale was great and a perfect ending to the show. I'm sure the mood around the set was very sad in the final weeks, as we've read in several cast interviews. I can honestly say that the mood around here was quite depressing as well when we heard the news of the cancellation and after the finale. But the show will live on in reruns and the activity around the forums hasn't died down much as people still continue to support the show--and likely will for a long, long time to come. Thanks for the info about the schoolyard and set. We look forward to more of your thoughts and experiences so I hope you'll continue to visit often. :)

I just have one question that's been burning on everyone's mind for awhile--do you happen to have any info on when the season 2 DVDs will be released and is there any chance of them releasing all 7 seasons at some point? Actually, that was 2 questions. :D Thanks again for all your hard work on this amazing show!

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Oh yes, we all miss the show very much, it's left quite an impression in many of us. I can imagine how it would have been especially tough for Erik.

Here's a question for you: do we all completely over-analyze the show or are we just being great fans? :D

Thanks for all your help with the seven awesome seasons of MITM! :)

Ryebeach

Hi Bobby and welcome to the MITMVC. :) Thanks for helping to create a show that will forever live on in my mind as the best tv show there ever was. No other show in memory could consistantly make me laugh each episode. And your show did that for seven straight seasons.:D Thanks again and best wishes with all of your future projects. :)

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I would like to add to the welcomes for you, Bobby.:)
And we do dearly miss the show just as you. You were very lucky to work with such great people as the cast and all the crew members that we never saw, but made Malcolm in the Middle come alive.:) I think I can speak for everyone when I say thank you from the bottom of our hearts.
I salute you.

MITM ALUM

Thank you, all, for the kind and generous words. OK, bad news. Our creator is a genius. Why is this bad? Well, you will probably never see MITM on DVD beyond the first season BECAUSE the music, which is so instrumental (no pun intended!) to the success of the show, was very expensive to use, especially from Season 2 on. Paying royalties for the reuse of those songs for DVD distribution would be beyond what the sale of the DVD's would bring in. BUT ... and there's always a BUT ... that's where the genius of Linwood Boomer shines ... because the show is not readily available on DVD, it is, and, hopefully, will remain a hit in syndication! My good friend who is the stunt coordinator on Alias (she was also a stunt double for Lois in season 7!) said their rerun ratings plummeted as soon as the DVD's were released! SO, bottom line, no DVD = reruns! Yeah!

MITM ALUM

Oh, for the record, our choreographer has been nominated twice! And the statue shines as brightly for him as it would for Jane or Bryan. When I was nominated, I found out through a phone call at 5:30 AM from Bryan, who had also been nominated for the first time. The conversation was much like two small boys who had just discovered new bicycles under their respective Christmas trees. I have a very good feeling about either Bryan or Jane taking home a statue this year. And, no, keep the interest going. People like all of you are why I have a career. Now, here's a question for those of you who think you're good with Malcolm trivia. You HAVE seen me several times on the show ... but mostly as a double for Frankie, among several others. In what episode did Lois scream at a basketball referee, embarrassing Dewey? The referee was yours truly.:cool:

nyl

Hi Bobby

Thanks for the info about the season 2 DVD. Ken mentioned that they were currently going through the season 2 episodes and changing the music, ready for a 2007 release. Is that not going ahead now???

MITM ALUM

That scenario had been discussed. But it didn't seem to have strong legs. Perhaps someone crunched the numbers and came up with a profitable way to pull it off. Since we've not been together for 4 months, I'm not as current on the latest plans as I'd like to be. In our business, anything is possible.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Well, like you said, at least we have the reruns--the shelf life of the show will be a very long time, I'm sure. Thanks for your thorough answers from our inquisitive minds! :)

As for your trivia, I don't recall Lois embarrassing Dewey in front of a referee but she did that to Francis in "Sleepover."

Did you (the cast/crew collectively) actually get to go to Burning Man to shoot that episode, or was that a set? Either way, it was an incredibly impressive episode. :D

MITM ALUM

It WAS a young Francis in "Sleepover" that I'm thinking of. If I'm gonna pull out trivia, I'd better be able to back it up ... especially with you experts. I'll get back to you on some more. In my defense, it was SEASON 1! As for "Burning Man" ... it was our season 7 opener and was our big episode for the season. Hotter than you know where and our own set out in the desert north of Los Angeles. But ... there's that "but" again ... we had our own home grown technical experts, as several of our crew are "Burning Man" regulars. A few are actually major players in that party. I won't name names, so don't ask. No one in the cast, if you're wondering. Take care, all. For the record, my favorite scene was in "Flashback" when Lois, covered in rain and mud and locked out of the house ... oh, AND in labor with Dewey, tells Hal, " Okay, here's what we're gonna do. You are going to tell me three ... no five ... no, seven. I want you to tell me seven things you love about me, seven reasons why this is all worthwhile. Seven reason why we're still here. " Hal's resonse is pure love and classic television. So? What were the seven reasons? Don't worry ... it's an open book test!:D

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
I agree! Flashback is a great ep and that scene is defintely a classic. Here are Hal's seven reasons (I'm glad it's an open book test cause I had to double check a couple of them :D )

1. How her neck smells in the morning
2. How every one of her toes looks like it came from another person’s foot
3. How she’s honest and fearless
4. How she treats him like a baby when he’s sick
5. How she cuts the crust off her toast even though she eats both anyway
6. How she didn’t dump him when she found out he was in love with her
7. How nothing in his life is complete until he’s shared it with her

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. We'd love to hear more about your work on the show. You said you were a stunt double for Frankie--what kinds of stunts did you do?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Do you ever re-watch old episodes? Or is it more of a watch-them-once-and-then-move-on-to-the-next-episode?

It's incredibly interesting to hear these insider stories about the making of MITM--thanks for sharing! :) How does one get involved in the stunt coordination business?

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I agree with Yardgames. It's cool to have these "behind the scenes" stories on things that happened, plus I agree with him on the fact that "Burning Man" was an impressive episode, and "B.M" is one of my favorite episodes of the entire series!:)
And that was funny on "Flashback" when Hal had to come up with seven reasons he loved Lois. In his words, "Ive got to think of SEVEN?!":D

MITM ALUM

Wow, Wildcat, you rock. You nailed that test! A+! As for the recent questions ... I have been a stuntman and actor for 35 amazing years. It boggles my mind how fast they have gone. Don't waste a day my friends. When you turn out the lights, you don't get a "do over!" For the past 24 years, I have been also a stunt coordinator and writer. My "foot in the door" was the simple fact that I was short. 4'9" to be exact. And I could pass for children and various other life forms. A rather embarrassing list of credits can be found on www.imdb.com for those who are interested. But what society percieved as a physical "handicap" turned into my entry pass into a wonderful career that has allowed me to work with some amazing people around the world, culminating with the gang on "Malcolm." I'm getting close to semi-retirement, which is a polite way of saying that I'll take the jobs I can still do and pass the others on to my younger protege. Please don't think I'm "tooting my horn" here. I have been blessed to have stayed employed and healthy in this line of work for much longer than many of my friends and I am most grateful to people like yourselves who passionately support our product. I think I answered the questions, didn't I?