If there was a MITM spin-off...

Murph

If there was a MITM spin-off, which characters would you most like it to involve? I'd like a Francis-Piama based one, as they have good couples chemistry, and of course, Francis is such a great actor!

So IF there was to be a MITM (which I doubt there will be), what would you must like it to evolve around?

wando

ive thauht of one a while ago just called "Reece"
i suppose just like Joey.

this was before he became a janitor. i think a show like this would work because he can still do things at his age that a 10 year old would do, but also a 20 year old.

reese35

(sighs) If there were the availability of a spinoff...
  • with Reese as the janitor, I think "Reese" would make a good show. If they can expand on that like they did MitM, it'd make for a good expansion.
  • picking up with the family when Lois is having #6, I'd title it "Holding On", because like the synopses say, they're 'holding on 'til the last one turns 18'.
  • picking up from Malcolm's part, it'd be completely different, just with the title "Malcolm: College Days". We'd explore more of Malcolm's mind, encounter new friends and new foes, and maybe a slight cameo from one of the family members once in a while.

Angie

I would like a spin off with the family and the new baby who has to be a girl or better still twin girls.

Reese will play an important role in it since he lives next door with Craig. He will of course quit his janitor job after he fills out for the school cook and amazes everybody with his cooking. Afterwards he is discovered by a restaurant owner....

Malcolm will also be included. We will see him at uni doing his bit as usual, like we used to see Francis at military school....

Piama and Francis will also be there of course.

I am so angry the show was cancelled. I just hope against hope that they ll revive it again like they did with Futurama.

Murph

And of coursse, the unmissable Family Guy :D

reese35, what was the "sigh" at the beginning of your post about?

Gozatron

Angie said:
I would like a spin off with the family and the new baby who has to be a girl or better still twin girls.

Reese will play an important role in it since he lives next door with Craig. He will of course quit his janitor job after he fills out for the school cook and amazes everybody with his cooking. Afterwards he is discovered by a restaurant owner....

Malcolm will also be included. We will see him at uni doing his bit as usual, like we used to see Francis at military school....

Piama and Francis will also be there of course.

I am so angry the show was cancelled. I just hope against hope that they ll revive it again like they did with Futurama.

The problem with Reviving Malcolm in the Middle is that its real actors that age not just animated ones. But maybe about the 3 news boys in the family. Dewey being a francis, jamie reese , new baby Malcolm but i really cant see a girl being in the family it would ruin it.

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
In my opinion, a spinoff only really works if it deals with one or only few characters of the original family. So for me a Dewey spinoff would be great, but it wasn't probable if he still lived at home. So let's say he takes part in a musical competition and the judges find out about his great talent and give him a scholarship to a private boarding school for outstanding musicians. There he mostly concentrates on school and his music, but is still bored and thus he plays tricks on the teachers and his classmates, but also has his first experiences with girls. Of course, there are guest appearances from the original cast from time to time. A possible title would be "Life in D major"

Angie

Gozatron said:
The problem with Reviving Malcolm in the Middle is that its real actors that age not just animated ones. But maybe about the 3 news boys in the family. Dewey being a francis, jamie reese , new baby Malcolm but i really cant see a girl being in the family it would ruin it.

Yes the boys have grown over the years but this makes it more real. Families evolve. It would be great to see what Malcolm is up to at uni, Lois and Hal still struggling with the growing family, Reese doing his bit next door etc etc

I wouldnt call it a spin off, just a continuation. Regarding the sex of the baby/babies I thought girls would be something new. Dont mind if they have a boy as long as they are back filming.:D

Murph

Dabney said:
In my opinion, a spinoff only really works if it deals with one or only few characters of the original family. So for me a Dewey spinoff would be great, but it wasn't probable if he still lived at home. So let's say he takes part in a musical competition and the judges find out about his great talent and give him a scholarship to a private boarding school for outstanding musicians. There he mostly concentrates on school and his music, but is still bored and thus he plays tricks on the teachers and his classmates, but also has his first experiences with girls. Of course, there are guest appearances from the original cast from time to time. A possible title would be "Life in D major"

Dewey just doesn't have lead character ability. He (with all due respect) is MEGA ugly, too old to be cute but too young to be a rebel, he's more of a background character, but he is far from a leading man.

Ryebeach

You know, these past 2 or 3 seasons, I've read so many articles from folks saying that the actor's (and character's) have gotten too old and have aged and arent' "cute" anymore. I'm sorry, but to me, MITM was never about the "cuteness" of the boys. Sure, they've aged but families just don't stop when the children get older. They may branch off as some of the kids go to college and begin their lives but the family connection, as I think was pointed out very clearly many times this season, remains strong as ever, especially with this family. No matter how far they may be from one another, they're still a family and they'll always have each other.

In my opinion, a spin-off, while probably not lucrative enough for the studio to finance, would have been a great idea. We could have followed one or two characters as they continued on with their lives outside of the home. They'd always have their family to fall back on and share their experiences with and if nothing else, they'd have taken lessons learned, sometimes the hard way, which would have prepared them for situations they met in the future.

Yes, this show was about childhood and growing up, but I think if you ask any parent, they'd say their child will always be a child in their eyes, whether they are 8, 15, 25, or 40 years old and I also bet they'd say they think there's still quite a bit of "growing up" yet to be done in their child, no matter their age.

Gozatron

There should be a Jamie Spin-off. He didnt have a big part in Malcolm in the middle but just enough to make a spin-off series of him intresting.

wando

i dunno, i just think that when malcolm started, frankie was the age erik is now, so he can still do childish stuff as well as grownup (this is my opinion).
anyways, im only jokin, so no hard feelings.