The Never-ending RATE-A-EPISODE Thread

Hal's Birthday gets a 9/10

The best part of the episode was the boys' plot. With a common enemy/complaint, they actually can be nice to each other every once in a while, which is good to know. Piama's intro, however sudden, also helped reaffirm that Francis hadn't really changed at all -- he's still quick to act and slow to think, as usual.

I didn't really have any problems with the episode, except for maybe how Piama and Lois don't get along, and that makes for some very good humor later.

Next Episode: Ida's Dance

PBUNDY

7/10.
Ida's Dance is not one of my favorite episodes, but it wasn't bad either. The part with Lois stomping on the tart was funny though. I didn't really care for the part where Malcolm wanted Dewey to teach him about music, but their storyline got better when they each became deaf. The part with Ida and Lois dancing at the end was just weird.

Next episode: Cynthia's Back.

punkygrl5

Cynthia's Back

Cynthia's Back: 7/10
This episode was pretty cool, Reese was funny when he tries to be friends with her for the wrong reasons. Cynthia annoyed me though because she was soo depressing and moody at the start of the episode.

Next episode: Acedemic Octathalon

PBUNDY

I felt that Academic Octathalon was a very weak episode. The Hal/Dewey storyline was just okay, Dewey stopped loving Hal because he wouldn't continue to do "bedtime express" because Dewey was getting too big. I also didn't understand why Lois wasn't pregnant, when in the episodes previous to it she was. The only thing I can think of was that the episodes were shown out of production order. My favorite part of the episode was when they made Dabney stand outside the hotel room door in a bathing suit so the maid would unlock it.

Next episode: Carnival

Alex

Hal Coaches-6/10 i didnt find anything interesting in this episode. its been a while since i watched but Hals coaching part of the episode was stupid o_O. He tricked the kids into beating the other team.

zachman93

I felt that Academic Octathalon was a very weak episode. The Hal/Dewey storyline was just okay, Dewey stopped loving Hal because he wouldn't continue to do "bedtime express" because Dewey was getting too big. I also didn't understand why Lois wasn't pregnant, when in the episodes previous to it she was. The only thing I can think of was that the episodes were shown out of production order. My favorite part of the episode was when they made Dabney stand outside the hotel room door in a bathing suit so the maid would unlock it.

Next episode: Carnival

Very interesting! I just scanned through the ep and noticed that whenever we see Lois, her midsection is either hidden behind something or obscured in darkness - perhaps whatever prosthesis that was used for the "pregnant" look was somehow out of comission or damaged?

Carnival was not one of my favourite episodes. The Lois/Hal "sex" scenes, if you will, were fairly funny, as was Kitty's outbursts in the car. The boys, however, were pretty bland.

Nice that they recruited the eye-popping lady, though!

7/10.

K174

No episode given so I'll shuffle for it

I got 51 which is Lois' Makeover

Not one of MITM's best moments to be honest. In ran to the end of a short stream of mediocre episodes around this time in Season 3, starting with Poker. To start with, the cold opener is less of a joke than an observation with very little comedy involved (The Leftover Parfait one if you're curious.) It is one of the few episodes in which Craig features in which he does not show any major quirky sides to his character and remains quite plain throughout. Lois is played quite forgettably (It seems like Jane Kaczmarek really couldn't be bothered on the week of filming it) with her character not being as "caring" as usual. Throughout the episode she just has random fits of anger and shows no deeper levels emotion than just plain angry. The quality of the main plotline is poor and shows a similar writing style to that of the first 9 episodes and has many massive crevices. As with the majority of the Alaska plotlines, I did not like the rat capturing story. Throughout season 3 I think the writers got bored of Francis giving him few plausible and funny situations to work in (Christmas and Company Picnic were bearable, but that's about it.) You might think as so far I've been pretty scathing I might have some good things to say about the basketball story, the truth is however, I don't. Dewey is played pretty badly and Reese has about 4 lines in the entire episode. All of the aspects of it (Hal ignoring his sons, hustling, Dewey having a hidden talent, basketball, the boys defying Hal) are done in other episodes, each time with more commitment and gusto. Also, the soliloquise are totally unneeded throughout. I do have some good things to say about this episode however. The Lois plotline come to very solid conclusion (much moreso than many other episodes) and ended in a nice one-liner. The fact that the actors involved could actually play basketball with a fair amount of skill added to the believability of the whole affair, and as usual, Bryan Cranston played absolutely impeccably and made the episode actually quite enjoyable to watch (although this does apply to every other MITM episode other than the first 9)

My final score is: 5.5/10, probably in the worst 15/10% of post 109 episodes

Next: Clip Show 2

Chunky Malcolm

The NEW Rate-An-Episode Thread (old one died down)

Hi guys! I started a new rate an episode thread. I'm not trying to steal Mr. Forum's idea, but just creating a new one, seeing as the old hasn't been used in a year or so. Directions: I'll name an episode, and you rate it on a scale of 1 to 10. After you've rated an episode, name another one for someone else to rate. I'll start with... Family Reunion.

smlime16

8 out of 10

I love the end of this episode which is why my rate is rather high. I love "What are you going to do?" "We don't know. We never know."

This episode shows that when a member of the family is abused in one way or another "(by someone other than another family member) anything goes to protect them. Everyone in the family loves eachother.

Not sure what has been done before so I'm sorry if this is a repeat-

Stupid Girl

Wilkerson@heart

8/10
It's uncharacteristic for Malcolm to be nonchalant...and happy. It had a great storyline, good dialouge, and good acting, but it seemed unnatural for Malcolm's character to just shut off his brain. Meh. A good episode, and classic.

House Boat