Dewey-when did the cuteness die?

Murph

When did Dewey's cuteness die for you? I noticed it slipping through Season 4 and 5, but it was confirmed in the episode "Billboard" when he was screaming "no" and clutching to the billboard...it simply wasn't cute.

So, if it has died for you, when was the defining moment?

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Interesting question, Murph! I would have to say it was in season 6 also. I can't say exactly which episode, but season 6 is when he started becoming less cute, but smarter and more manipulative. Personally, I prefer him better that way. :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Dewey's Special Class--that totally confirmed that he would be cunning instead of cute for the rest of his life. But I think it was sort of a slow transition that began with Humilithon and built up over the course of seasons 4 and 5. Fascinating question!

patrick4488

I have to agree with yardgames, I'd also say it ended with "Dewey's special class"

I think from that episode on he became more serious and less cute or well let's say he stopped being cute.
From this episode on he showed his intelligence and his giftedness for music, he wasn't that little "I'm gonna tell it Mom"-Boy anymore

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I don't really want to talk about a young boy being..."cute".:D And I bet you 100% that Erik is embarrassed people ever found him..."cute".;) :D

patrick4488

tony_montana said:
I don't really want to talk about a young boy being..."cute".:D And I bet you 100% that Erik is embarrassed people ever found him..."cute".;) :D

I personally would have never decribed him "cute", because he simply wasn't. But in the meaning of this thread I would defind "cute" as being the little mama's boy who loves to squeal:rolleyes:

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I noticed that Dewey stopped his squealing by season 6 and 7. He was always in on whatever Reese and Malcolm were doing.:D

Moe_210

I've been thinking about this a whole lot lately. I think the seeds planted in season 4 with "Baby 1". I was trying to think about one of those first genious schemes that happened that didn't seem too, "Dewey's a cute lil' kid!" ish if you know what I mean. With the whole thing about Dewey making Hal look bad in front of everyone for having Jamie on Dewey's birthday and all. Then it really just moved on throughout the seasons from there. Then in season 5 with "Watching the Baby" how Dewey told that story to Jamie, it was cute, but had a bit of a serious/mature edge to it. Dewey was great when he was a kid like in season 1 but he seemed to always make some plan that had me rolling with laughter in season six.

I think the cuteness started to die in the third season with Dewey's Dog, but there were some definite scenes in the fourth season that showed he hadn't quite completed the transition. For example, his talk with the Sunday School teacher in Day Care still showed some traces of cuteness, especially with the "giant shovel." And even in the fifth season, such as in Thanksgiving, it's clear that he can at least pull off the cute act as a scam.

No matter where the transition occured, I'm glad it happened. I loved the cute scenes, but those started to lose their appeal after a while. And, without the change, we never could have experienced the humor of Dewey's Opera or Ida's Dance.

Murph

All true, and on a slightly un-related note, I think Dewey at his cuteness best was in "Convention", the only episode me, my dad and brother watched as a unit...on Boxing Day, 2004.

cadetspangler

Although if you want to get technical, season 7 was when he was definitely getting older...he voice was very funny sounding in that season. :D

Season 1-3 were him at his cutest, and 5-6, as well as the second half season 4, I guess, were him in that weird "in between being cute and notably getting older".