It's All in a Name

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Think back to when you first heard about the episodes, or first saw just their titles. Omit the promotion (which Fox actually did for MITM during American Idol for once!) and omit spoilers you might have read.

Hearing just the title of the episode, what would you have thought it was going to be about?

For example, Living Will. Hearing just the title, it would have sounded to me like some old rich woman moves into town, but she keeps all her money to herself. Everyone tries to befriend her, including Hal and Lois. Lois fails miserably, but Hal suceeds. One day, she asks him to help her write her will. Hal says he will, and the old lady was done in five minutes. She wanted everything to go to Hal, but she wanted to keep it all in a trust fund until Hal divorced Lois. (Can't you just see the ep ending right there, leaving us to make up our own Hal reactions?)

I thought about If Boys Were Girls, as well, and while it's one of my favorite ep's now, it sounded stupid when I just read the title, and in some cases, even summaries and spoilers. It sounded like the boys wouldn't star at all, and the girls were going to do some weird girly thing. It sounded ridiculously feminine.

So what are some eps you guys have expected something completely different from than what it actually turned out to be, based on the name of an ep?

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Thats a good question, well there's cheerleader and even now i forget the real story sometimes and think that its an episode where malcolm dates/has a crush on a cheerleader. (odd really)

can think of any others at the moment

yardgames

Retired Administrator
"Living Will" makes me think of Cruella Devil from 101 Dalmatians. Don't they both have that some ominous sound?

Hendrix

Season 4's "Future Malcolm" was a title that had numerous possiblities. I thought we were going to see some flashforward or a "Hal Quits'-type of episode.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
That's true, Future Malcolm was ingeniusly done in my opinion, with Jason Alexander as, as Malcolm put it, "a future version of me...only bald. I will NOT be bald!"

Hendrix

Hendrix said:
Season 4's "Future Malcolm" was a title that had numerous possiblities. I thought we were going to see some flashforward or a "Hal Quits'-type of episode.
I loved the Craig scenes in that episode!!!!

"We don't need a resume!!!"
*throws resume away*
"Now, do you have any previous work experience"

I also felt REALLY bad for Leonard in some parts, mostly the parts involving the tough-guy "George".

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Hendrix said:
I thought it was going to be like that too.

That's the only one I can think of at the moment.

allison

Unfortunately I watched most episodes before I thought about their names. So it wasn´t like "wow, that sounds interesting" but it was more like "most of the episodes´names really fit the storyline".
If I didn´t know the episodes I would probably find titles like robbery, Future Malcolm or Humilithon pretty interesting.
Some episodes turned out to be better than I would have thought if I had just known their names.
I was really looking forward to Hal´s Christmas gift, because I wanted to know after what special present an entire episode was named.
Billboard didn´t sound that promising to me, but now it became one of my favourite episodes.
When I read "Malcolm´s car" I was looking forward to a very interesting episode. I thought Malcolm was either going to have an accident or take the car on a chase through town (like Reese did) or something like that. But against my expectations it turned out to be quite a boring episode with Malcolm not even leaving the driveway.
When I heard that Ida was going to lose a leg I thought she was going to have an accident or something (maybe even caused by one of the boys). Though I even was right about that, I would never have expected that she was going to lose her leg because of savng someone else´s life.

Actually it´s quite good that you can´t guess what an episode is about by just hearing its title. One of the great things about MITM is that it isn´t predictable. ;)

Hey

Rather than guessing old names lets guess what could be coming up it the future episodes by looking at the names

next 6 episodes are

Butterflies
Ida's Dance
Motivational Seminar
Beauty Pagent
Buseys take a hostage
Stilts

These are the official titles by fox for the rest of season 6 and no looking around the net and cheating.

RGDS
Zmaster999

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I'm interested to see what you guys have to say, but I've read extensive spoilers so I won't participate.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Motivational Seminar

Malcolm is depressed about himself, like in Zoo. He has relized for the billionth time that he is super-sarcastic, caustic, nagging, and full of him self. He has decided to try to change his ways and go to a motivational seminar. In the seminar it self has people much worse off then Malcolm, like suicidal people. He decides to leave, but can't, the doors are locked. At home Dewey is the only one who notices that Malcolm is gone, he decides to look for him. Malcolmsits through the seminar, and listens to some of it. He feels a little better and goes home. Dewey finds Malcolm as soon as he leaves the doors from the seminar building. dewey had Chad help find Malcolm Chad used his "powers".

Now let me see what the real episode is about.......

Wow, i was really off, Hal not Malcolm, aeobatics, not whatevr I did. Hey, at least I had fun:)

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
When I first heard of butterflies, I originally thought that it was about Malcolm having "butterflies in his stomach" like he was nervous about something. Then when more details came out I thought Reese was going to have his own extermanation buisness.

Turns out I was wrong. Oh well:)

D

Deleted member 1693

When I first heard of butterflies, I originally thought that it was about Malcolm having "butterflies in his stomach" like he was nervous about something. Then when more details came out I thought Reese was going to have his own extermanation buisness.

Turns out I was wrong. Oh well:)

I had a similar thought. But when I saw the title for "No Motorcycles", I had no clue what to think.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I remember we had a lengthy discussion on that one. It was admittedly one of the stranger titles of the series. If I remember right we had pretty limited spoilers on that one too. Or maybe it was just cuz myself and a few others challenged ourselves not to look at spoilers during S7.

MaricaInTheMiddle

Here the titles of the episode are all different...except for 2 episode, like "Blackout" and "Halloween"...
i think that some titles are better then the originally name but any are more cool...!
in my opinion, the titles in english are vague and this arouse more curiosity in the people who watch the tv's show...:)