Each character's theme song...

Ryebeach

Safesearching board member Cold Skin posed this question on Justin's board in regards to Reese and I think it can be asked of all the MITM characters.

What song (either used in MITM or not) would best fit or can be described as the theme song for each character? Is their a song that you feel fits their personality, traits, etc? A song that while listening to it, for whatever reason, be it because it was used in a certain scene of an episode or that you can just picture scenes of that character fitting into the lyrics of the song.

I've yet to pin down specific songs for most of the cast but so far, I've chosen songs for Reese and Malcolm.

For Reese, by far, I'd have to say "In Too Deep" by Sum 41. The episode where that song was prominently used was "Reese Drives," which is my favorite Reese centered episode of the series. When he is in the car with Jackie and the cops are on his tail and he's on the phone with Francis and he offeres Reese the advice that in situations such as this, it's best to turn yourself in with dignity. And what Reese subsequenly did, was Reese's way of doing the right thing. I think there are many instances after that episode where Reese's intention was to do the right thing, no matter how off base he really was, his intentions were good. "In Too Deep," to me, reflects that.

The other song that I can picture as Reese's theme song is Chumbawamba's "Tubthumping." That song was used in an episode of MITM in season 4 however I cannot recall the circumstances. But listening to the song recently, I can, in my mind, picture Reese scenes when he gets up to mischief, or when he breaks a toy of Dewey's and gets that funny smirk on his face. I can see all of those scenes playing along to the beat and lyrics of that song.

For Malcolm, there is no question in my mind what I'd choose for his theme song. "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears. This song was used in a flashback episode to the 80's with Hal and Lois in one episode in season 5 or 6 but just listening to the lyrics, combined with what Lois revealed to Malcolm in the finale about what they all feel Malcolm should and will become in the future and Malcolm's subsequent reaction to it...The song just fits perfectly, in my opinion.

Plus, I think the first part of the lyrics, "Welcome to your Life, there's no turning back" fits Malcolm's take on his life and family, in both a comedic and dramatic sense, from the very first scene of the very fist episode right up until the finale. The rest of the lyrics are a close fit to the character of Malcolm as well.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Interesting question, indeed. Malcolm is sort of a contradictory character; he's so angry and always in pity, but everyone around him always has such high hopes for him. Yet I've always thought of him when I hear "Welcome to My Life" by Simple Plan. I'm really not sure for the others. You would think Hal would be fairly easy and straightforward but nothing really comes to mind.

simon_4420

That chumbawamba song reminds me of MITM in general:D , with the hole "I get knocked down, but I get up again".

As for individual theme songs for each charactor, the only ones that come to my mind when I hear them are:

Funky Town - Hal (when he is rollerskating)
Sum 41 "In to deep" - Reese (when he is driving)

YesExactly

Talking of Simple Plan..in "Secret Boyfriend" the song "Shut Up" is played..i think this one fits for Reese quite good too. mhh but better for the younger Reese..
btw...Simple Plan RULES!

I agree with Simon, In Too Deep is probably the perfect song for Reese, it basically sums (excuse the pun) up his character.

Gozatron

Ooo i have two songs for Reese and you should listen to them both. They describe Reese to me prefectly!!

Sum 41 - In too Deep (Showing Reese in Trouble)
Blink 182 - Whats my age again (Showing Reese can forget about his age and do things so crazy)

vickrules88

-the simple plan song, "shut up"'s lyrics makes me think about reese and lois.

-funky town for hal without a doubt.

-for francis, "ziplock" by lit in season one when he is hitch hicking while running away from arlen acadamy.

-another song for rease imo would be "beat of my heart" by hilary duff, played at the prom in season 7, morp, it did'nt play long, but it was pretty catchy...

-for craig, the song he sings at the bonfire is a classic!

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
It's kinda hard to choose for each character, but to name a couple:
1.Reese-"Get in the Ring" by Guns N Roses.:D
2.Dewey-(this is the odd one) "I stand alone" by Godsmack.:D
3.Hal-"The Three Stooges" theme:D ;)

PBUNDY

For Lois, I liked the song they played while she was in the batting cage. "Behind Every Good Woman" by Tracy Bonham. I thought that song suited Lois perfectly, especially when the men/boys in her life forgot her birthday.:(

Moe_210

Hmm this is a good one. For early Dewey, "Hamster Dance" would really explain his whole character. Malcolm seems to be good with, "Welcolm to my life" would work. Francis might go well with, "Whats my age again?" by blink 182. "Funkytown", for Hal. "Bodies" by drowning pool for Lois? Except may be a bit tuned down.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
"Wont you take me down, to funky town!":D That would be pretty cool for Hal.;)
But I still think the "Three Stooges" theme fits him better.:D

cadetspangler

Safesearching board member Cold Skin posed this question on Justin's board in regards to Reese and I think it can be asked of all the MITM characters.

For Malcolm, there is no question in my mind what I'd choose for his theme song. "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears. This song was used in a flashback episode to the 80's with Hal and Lois in one episode in season 5 or 6 but just listening to the lyrics, combined with what Lois revealed to Malcolm in the finale about what they all feel Malcolm should and will become in the future and Malcolm's subsequent reaction to it...The song just fits perfectly, in my opinion.

Plus, I think the first part of the lyrics, "Welcome to your Life, there's no turning back" fits Malcolm's take on his life and family, in both a comedic and dramatic sense, from the very first scene of the very fist episode right up until the finale. The rest of the lyrics are a close fit to the character of Malcolm as well.

I remember making a mixed CD for Christmas in 2010 that had that song on it...and yet, despite being a time in which I was overly-obsessed with the show, I can't remember for sure if I made a connection with it... :blink:

...to Malcolm's character, I mean. I might have...:confused:

Anyways, I'm into artists who are a little more...I dunno, wiser-sounding than most of the characters. :laugh: