What Do You Think Of This

reese35

I suscribe to TV Guide, so I get next week's issue this week. I was flipping through the book (Apr. 24-30), and when I got to the 'Cheers and Jeers' section, look at what I found --

"Jeers to Fox for renewing the way-past-its-prime Malcolm in the Middle for a seventh season. The dysfunctional-family sitcom was amusing when its main character was a prepubescent genius, but star Frankie Muniz has grown so old that it's starting to feel like Malcolm on Medicare. And the network still hasn't picked up Arrested Development?"

What Iwant to ask is... What'cha Think O'This?!

daniel1985

Re: What'cha Think O' This?!

Are you surprised? It doesn't matter how good a program is, if it starts to hit 6 or 7 seasons someone will have a whinge that it is "past it".

Examples of popular U.S. shows that have recieved this criticism are The Simpsons, Friends, Frasier, Cheers, X-Files, E.R.... the list is endless!

I'm so fed up of people saying that good shows should end when they are at their peak. Why? If a program is still popular then make more episodes, and the fact is that Fox would not have renewed MITM if it was not still popular. They're not stupid!!!

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

daniel1985 said:
If a program is still popular then make more episodes...!!
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Ours seem to differ between tv guide's. Making false conclusions like that ("past-it's-prime") is not entirely true. Why, would we still chatting about it if MITM were past it's prime, I think not.

admin

Retired Administrator
reese35 said:
I suscribe to TV Guide, so I get next week's issue this week. I was flipping through the book (Apr. 24-30), and when I got to the 'Cheers and Jeers' section, look at what I found --

"Jeers to Fox for renewing the way-past-its-prime Malcolm in the Middle for a seventh season. The dysfunctional-family sitcom was amusing when its main character was a prepubescent genius, but star Frankie Muniz has grown so old that it's starting to feel like Malcolm on Medicare. And the network still hasn't picked up Arrested Development?"

What Iwant to ask is... What'cha Think O'This?!
To be honest I have to agree with the some what, it was very much funnier then than it is now. The last season has been a real disappointment for me. Every episode you expect something "MITM" like to come along and it simply doesn't. I think there main problem is the divergence away from mainly Malcolms life to everyone elses life as well.

If I remember rightly, season 5 didn't perk up until almost the very end so I shall hold out before judging the entire season - 3 episodes is not much but its enough to sway my opinion on what has been a bit of a drab season so far.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I think this season has been good--certainly better than season 5, even if it is past its peak. There have been some really superb eps this season, like Hal's Christmas Gift and Dewey's Opera; TV Guide did help us get MITM moved to 9:00 when it kept being pre-empted at the beginning of the season, so let's not be too harsh on them.

allison

I agree with yardgames - this season has been way better than the 5th season. Of course the show isn´t as good as it was in the beginning, but in my opinion it´s still one of the best shows on TV. Though I´m really sad about the fact that the 7th season is going to be the last one, I still think it´s a good decision to end the show before it gets old and goes downhill. Of course I would watch it until the very last episode (even if there was a 10th season:D ) but I think people wouldn´t like it anymore. I think it´s great that MITM will end with dignity (not like the Simpsons, which got really old after its 12th or 13th season to be honest):(

Gouki

J. said:
Why, would we still chatting about it if MITM were past it's prime, I think not.
Not o play Devils Advocate, but people still discuss the Simpsons. And that is long past it's prime.

People did the same thing to Buffy, however.

PecanSandies

Gouki said:
Not o play Devils Advocate, but people still discuss the Simpsons. And that is long past it's prime.

People did the same thing to Buffy, however.

Then there are some shows that shouldn't be discussed and be long forgotten for it's sheer badness, like Wings. I mean, why?

Garbage Kills Megan

parties with your mom
I have to say that I think this season has been hit or miss. There have been some really great episodes, but there have been some real stinkers as well. It is extremely hard for writers to make a show just get better and better. Especially for this show. The way the show is set up, they make it very hard on themselves. They have 7 characters to follow, including one that doesn't even live anywhere near the others. It's amazing how they have managed to bring it all together for 6 season, but they are starting to run out of ideas. The writers talk in the commentary for the first season about it. They say they'll come up with 60 ideas, Linwood will only like 10, and then they will use 4 in one episode. It can be easy.

HOWEVER!!!!! That doesn't mean they should cancel it. Even though it's not as good as it used to be, it still better than almost every other sitcom on tv. Plus, I hate it when networks just don't renew a show, and don't let them do a final episode or anything. I need closure!!

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Garbage Kills Megan said:
it [is] still better than almost every other sitcom on tv. Plus, I hate it when networks just don't renew a show, and don't let them do a final episode or anything. I need closure!!
I agree with you. MITM is much better then anything around ( which is why i will not be happy when marching band starts at 6:30pm(EST), also know as my MITM timeslot. That is also why I'm taping them now, to have a full collection).

I think the series finalle will be planned nicely, as they will have a head-up to make one. We will have closure, a good, and bad thing.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
LOL :D (darn 10 character limit must change that)

Note from Sam: Or just don't post such useless things as lol hence the point of the limit which isn't really a limit because that would be a maximum then and the 10-character thing is really a minimum. Gosh I'm on a power run tonight!

Last edited by a moderator: