LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bi & Transgender) MITM Fans

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Had wondered about this before with Sam.

How many LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) MITM Fans are there?

Im Gay, (I think most regular members know that allready) any other Fans wanna "Come Out" to the forum? :D :p

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Re: LGBT MITM Fans

We're all nice enough that we won't bite or discriminate against you unlike some lawmakers I could mention if you are any of those. It is, in my mind, perfectly acceptable and even necessary for a diverse fan base. (I myself am not. :))

From what I have observed strictly on these forums, it seems as though this rate is slightly higher for MITM fans--anyone care to agree or argue?

(This is not a political discussion thread, please.)

Wildcat

Retired Moderator

Interesting idea for a thread TJ and I think most people here can discuss this in a mature manner. I am personally staight, but I have no problem whatsoever with people who choose a gay/lesbian/bi lifestyle. I think everyone should be free to make their own choices without being judged and/or stereotyped.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis

I am like Wildcat. I am straight, and I will outright admit I don't support the gay marriage thing being pushed in the US and I am with George Bush in banning gay marriage, BUT I don't personally judge anyone who is gay. That is their own personal decision and I don't say anything about it. I don't hate gays at all or anything like that. I think it's stupid to hate a person for that reason.
In fact, want to know who I think is one of the best rock and roll singers ever? Freddie Mercury.:) :cool:

freddie%20mercury%208%20-%20live.jpg
Freddie Mercury and Queen performing at Live Aid. Great performance.:)

yardgames

Retired Administrator

I don't understand personally what is wrong with gay marriage. It seems to me that discriminating against people like TJ is the same as discriminating against blacks was fifty years ago. Maybe fifty years from now, we'll look back and laugh at how we discriminated against these homosexuals, but honestly it's not like they choose to be gay. I mean, in a sense they do, but they rather come to a conclusion that they are, and they couldn't really change that even if they wanted to. Sure they could lie to themselves and society in order to secure their rights, but what good would that really do?

I too am straight, but I agree with yardgames on the fact there is no problem with gay marriage. It's been legal in the UK for about 6 months, I think one of the main problems is that many people are confusing marriage to someone, with wedding someone. Wedding is a religous term and relates to the holy unity of man and woman for the purposes of procreation. Marriage is almost political, as it suggests different civil liberties. Seeing as many people nowadays don't marry in order to procreate I don't think the religious argument has any weight, you can't uphold that level of double standards surely.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member

yardgames said:
I don't understand personally what is wrong with gay marriage. It seems to me that discriminating against people like TJ is the same as discriminating against blacks was fifty years ago. Maybe fifty years from now, we'll look back and laugh at how we discriminated against these homosexuals, but honestly it's not like they choose to be gay. I mean, in a sense they do, but they rather come to a conclusion that they are, and they couldn't really change that even if they wanted to. Sure they could lie to themselves and society in order to secure their rights, but what good would that really do?

As Sam points out, @Christina, people are born gay they dont choose to be gay.

Didnt think this would go onto gay marriage but no probs. In my opinion gay marriage is just essential for the legal rights. Personally thats all im interested in. That gay couples should be able to have same rights as striaght couples.

Becuase this stops horrible things such as a couple who where essentailly married but not actually in law, for many year, one persons then dies and the family disallows his/her partner to the furneral. And this happens alot.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator

tjpeople said:
As Sam points out, @Christina, people are born gay they dont choose to be gay.

Becuase this stops horrible things such as a couple who where essentailly married but not actually in law, for many year, one persons then dies and the family disallows his/her partner to the furneral.

True, people are born gay, but as Sam also pointed out, they could live a lie their whole lives and be unhappy beause they're afraid of being descriminated against if they admit that they're gay to society. I've heard of people who lived in a heterosexual marriage for years, then eventually accepted the fact that they were homosexual and left their spouse for a member of the same sex.

That's horrible about families not letting a person's partner attend his/her funeral.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member

Wildcat said:
True, people are born gay, but as Sam also pointed out, they could live a lie their whole lives and be unhappy beause they're afraid of being descriminated against if they admit that they're gay to society. I've heard of people who lived in a heterosexual marriage for years, then eventually accepted the fact that they were homosexual and left their spouse for a member of the same sex.

That's horrible about families not letting a person's partner attend his/her funeral.

Glad you understand, I think I just misunderstood your first post.:)

NeCoHo

Retired Mod

wildcat- Jim McGreevy, Nj's former Governer lived like that, and he was just unhappy, so he "came out" and resigned.

It's your life, do what you want with it.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member

yardgames said:
Walt Whitman was gay. As is Madonna. In fact, here's a rather lengthy list of gay famous people: http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~wyatt/celebs-list.html

Of coruse there are lots of gay celebrities. (not enought IMO :D) but Madonna aint gay! She married with kids, she is a bit of a gay icon, but not actually gay.

What J. was talking about was people who had lived a straight life and then come out much later.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator

I didn't think Madonna was a lesbian either, but she's bi, isn't she? I think she made an autobiographic movie years ago where she confessed to having relationships with women (I'm not 100% sure on that. My memory is fuzzy on the matter cause I was really young at the time, but that's what I've always thought.)

That's quite an extensive list--with more than a few Kings and Emperors on it. I was suprised at a few of the names that jumped out at me just cause I had no idea that these people were gay, including: Winston Churchill, James Dean, Cary Grant, Amelia Earhart, Florence Nightingale, and Elenor Roosevelt.

And many of the greatest minds in history are on that list too, including Aristotle, Beethoven, Da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Shakesphere.

Shakespeare wasn't gay, it's a bit of a conspiracy theory, it relates to the idea of Christopher Marlowe being thought to be Shakespeare and the fact that all Shakespeare left his wife in his will, was the second best bed in the house- but that relates more to society constraints rather than him being gay

Alfista Junior

Just something about the english language. You often use "straight" to say "heterosexual". We don't have that in my language. The first time I heard that I found it really strange. It was like saying I'm "normal"...

So I'm "straight". Gay marriage it's not allowed in my country. I'm not opposed to it, but I don't know, I've to admit it's kinda weird. Even several gay people over here say they want rights but not exactly the same as heterosexuals', just because they're dfferent. We already have the PACS, a contract which allows any couple to have the same rights as married couples (tax cuts, heritage etc..). So in my country the difference between married and being PACSed is just a procedure : wearing a wedding dress and a tuxedo and walking down the steps of the city hall..(I forgot: rights about kids too)
That's why the country is not likely to change his mind within a couple of months.. If gay people are really fond of marriage, let's change the law..

Concerning the adoption, honestly I think an homoparental family could kinda disrupt a kid but when you see how some straight couples look after their kids, I would say those would be better in an homoparental family who loves them..

Last thing to say, during my teenagehood I've seen so many gay teenagers suffer that I will always keep that in mind when I will deal with my kids etc..

Just something about the english language. You often use "straight" to say "heterosexual". We don't have that in my language. The first time I heard that I found it really strange. It was like saying I'm "normal"...

That's a good point Alfista, we commonly use the term straight without realising the offensive connotations it brings with it. The opposite to straight would be bent, a somewhat offensive term to refer to homosexuality. I guess if a word is used in a particular sense for such a period of time you forget any of the implied meanings.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member

I use straight as the oppiste to gay all the time. Homosexula and heterosexual are just too long. Technicall bent is the oppsite but im cool with that, im bent, i dont get offened, its lessd the word more the feeling behind it.

However it does offend me when "gay" is sued to mean "bad" or "rubbish" as it has become in popular bristsih culture. Buts thats a different rant....

Kratos

tony_montana said:
I am like Wildcat. I am straight, and I will outright admit I don't support the gay marriage thing being pushed in the US and I am with George Bush in banning gay marriage, BUT I don't personally judge anyone who is gay. That is their own personal decision and I don't say anything about it. I don't hate gays at all or anything like that. I think it's stupid to hate a person for that reason.
In fact, want to know who I think is one of the best rock and roll singers ever? Freddie Mercury.:) :cool:

I dont understand how you can say your OK with gays but at the same time want to deny them a basic expression of love and simple rights? :confused: :mad:

I think MITM attracts a fair amount of gay/bi followers because of Justin to be honest. Like its been pointed out not many US actors are "out" (not saying Justin even is gay! :p ) but if people believe he is, then he could always be a icon/idol.

simon_4420

Kratos said:
I dont understand how you can say your OK with gays but at the same time want to deny them a basic expression of love and simple rights? :confused: :mad:

Yeah I didn't understand that either, lol

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis

I knew I shouldn't have posted anything in this damn thread(no offense, Tj.). Now you are jumping down my friggen back, Kratos. Well, excuse my french, but screw off. That's the way I feel and Im sharing it. Don't like it? Fine, but you better not start harassing me for what I personally think about this matter.