the happiest days of our lives?

After an intense period of reading through a number of different threads and posts (due to my lack of presence, which kinda relates to this thread) it has become apparent that a number of us are unable to enjoy the summertime (omitting those in australia) as we revise for our exams. Just throught, as we appear to be learning more about fellow members we should have a place to discuss the exams we are taking in the next few months. Obviously there may be some disparities between the form of examination between the different countries. However, in November I partook in the SATS (US examination) as part of a trial to determine whether they should be used in edition to the current A-Level system in determining suitablity for university places. I have to say it was the most monotonous examination I have ever taken, a bit of everything, with the most boring literary extracts and dull mathematical problems, lasting 4 hours.

Anyway, over the next couple of weeks, I personally will be taking my A2 level examinations in English Literature, Politics, Geography & the joke non-subject of General Studies.

Over to you guys now.

rzombie1988

I'm not taking any tests, except a placement one. But I'm somewhat looking forward to summer, even though I work at a zoo. Afterall, Working>School.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Ive been out of school for two weeks now.:D What's taking you guys so long?:p
And the happiest day of my life this summer is when I FINALLY get a job. Sound weird? I know, but Im ready to start earning some cold cash!:)

rzombie1988

tony_montana said:
Ive been out of school for two weeks now.:D What's taking you guys so long?:p
And the happiest day of my life this summer is when I FINALLY get a job. Sound weird? I know, but Im ready to start earning some cold cash!:)

My school is weird since we do HS and College in senior year, plus get random weeks off. So that's why we don't get out until june 24th.

Jobs can be exciting at first, but after a while you will be like why did I take this job. The cash after a while won't be worth it. It becomes like a lesser version of school.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Maybe it will suck, but Ill keep in my mind that Im getting paid, unlike school, where I go and sit for seven hours doing crap and being bored out of my mind.

rzombie1988

For me it's like school, because I sit around for 7 hours, and am bored out of my mind. Like you said though, the difference is getting paid.

I finished for study leave 2 weeks ago also, I have a part time job- which by definition makes it the most boring thing ever. I work in a call centre and take catologue orders, I far prefer school to it, despite the money. At least I can study while I;m there.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
The SATs in the US really aren't as important as they once were, in part because people have the same criticisms as you, in part because of a scoring oopsie on the October exam. Our other big standardized test is the ACT. It's somewhat similar to the SAT, but generally easier, no penalty for guessing, a bit shorter, etc.

We also have AP tests, which are created by the same company as the SAT. AP tests are given in 35 subject areas; I recently took the US History one. Basically, you take an AP course all year in school and the whole point of the course is to pass the exam, which can count toward retroactive credits at many colleges.

And I have final exams this week in all my classes, then I'm done. The only one I'm worried about is algebra; the rest I can get like a 50% and still pass the class with an A. :D

I want a job too but there's no good places to work in Green Bay other than McDonalds. I applied at Fazolis a few months ago, but didn't get the job because I went to the wrong restaurant for the interview. :D

The current 16+ education in system (which is optional education by the way) is the AS/A2 Level system, a combined course spanning two years. Generally, students choose 4 specific subjects for study over the two years, each subject is split into 6 units, the first 3 units of the subject are exmained in year 1 and the 2nd 3 units in year 2. Basically it tests you on the subjects you're interested in and generally the ones you intend upon study at univeristy. The proposal for the SATS tests, is that they will be used in addition to the current system to determine the suitabilty of applicants to the premiere leaugue univerities (I believe the term is Ivy League in US).

Before age 16 the final aspect of compulsary education are the GCSE'S, similar in structure to A- Levels, comparatively easier, and generally more subjects are taken, for instance at my school we are asked to take 11 subjects.

Obviously got goals there yardgames- MacDonalds, work hard, a few years time you might be assistant junior supervisor!

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
I remember the Fazoli story...

I got a job on the beach "picking up" trash. (more like pushing into the sand with your sandal) I'll probably end up carry the boss' coffee, or sitting in a tractor since 2 of my uncles work for the city, and my grandfather is a legend there. Besides, I'm really friendly with the boss, I've got the easy way out. :D

reese35

If I wanna work, my grandpa has a carpet cleaning business. I just go with him. My share of the work is pretty basic. I just buffer and spray the solution, if desired. I get paid 40%.

btw, post 500! whoo!

I think, endless examinations aside, school probably is one of the best times, I just compare going to school, with friends and learning about stuff im interested in with the monotony of a part time job.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Deweyrules! said:
I think, endless examinations aside, school probably is one of the best times, I just compare going to school, with friends and learning about stuff im interested in with the monotony of a part time job.

I agree, I hated high school when I was in it, but now I miss it. You take it for granted that you get to see all your friends every single day, then when you get out everyone begins to go their separate ways and you start to drift apart. You form new friendships in college and all, but it's still not quite the same. So even if it seems like it really sucks, enjoy it while you still can.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Here's where differing views come into play. Everyone sprouts this "school is the best time of your life" crap at my brother and I all our lives. And guess what? My older brother is out of school and working now, and he tells me all the time he doesn't miss school one damn bit. In two years when Im out of schoo, Ill most likely feel the same way.:)
BTW, I just remembered some very highly known people who hated school: Gene Roddenberry(creator of Star Trek), Mark Twain, William Shakespeare, Albert Einstien(who did very poorly in school and told he would amount to nothing).

Well, I would have agreed with you when I was in compulsary education (i.e. to 16) becuase, there were far too lessons and too little freedom (i went to a fairly strict all boys school) but once I went into the optional last two years of school (still at the same school) there was far greater freedom and scope to do what you prefered subject wise. But I guess, everyone has a different experience of school and I suppose it depends on the job you choose to do once you leave school.

I'm just adding to this thread to brag about the fact that I have now officially finished school- wooo! Although, I feel the worst part may be to come; not only have I got to wait over a month for my results, but I've got to decide what to do in a 'year out' before I go to university. Any suggestions anyone? Also wandering if anyone else is going to uni next year or has finished school recently and faced with what to do in this coming academic year.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Congrats DeweyRules. Can't you go to the university in the fall? Does everyone have to wait a year before they go, or is that something you decided to do personally?

No, most apply October of their final year of school, I applied but realised a while after that the courses I'd applied to do didn't interest me as much as I initially thought they would. So this year I hope to do some work experience in writing and reapply for a different course.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Finished school too. QUite a few people take gap years, travel get a job etc.

Im hoping to go to UCL for architecture, i have to get the grades tho..

samboo1

Umm your all lucky. I want to leave, i cant wait for college, sounds way better. 2 years to go yet though :eek: One thing i can wait for is all the exams you have to take in upper years :Angry: God i had 3 days of SATs (the english ones) and that was murder! But i am happy with my results :D At least in year 10 ive ditched my worst lessons, thanks to GCSE options.