New project for Justin's J2 Pictures
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New project for Justin's J2 Pictures

Arrow New project for Justin's J2 Pictures

Justin's production company, J2 Pictures/J2TV, is developing a motion picture based on the real life story of 75 year old international jewel thief, Doris Payne. You can read the recent article from Variety here: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...ryid=1238&cs=1

The article also makes mention of J2's upcoming Jerry Garcia film project as well.

You can keep apprised of all of Justin's producing projects through J2's website: www.j2pictures.com

Default Re: New project for Justin's J2 Pictures

Thanks for the news Rye! That's great that J2 Productions sounds like it's doing well.

Thanks for keeping us informed Rye. Does Justin like J2 better than acting, or do you have no idea?

Quote Originally Posted by yardgames
    Thanks for keeping us informed Rye. Does Justin like J2 better than acting, or do you have no idea?
    No problem. I don't know if he likes one more than another. He's said in the past that he would still like to act but he's very interested in the behind-the-camera aspect too so my guess would be that he likes them both equally.

Sounds interesting. Wonder if the film will make it mainstream? they havent done a film yet have they?
    Need help? Email Me Here

Quote Originally Posted by tjpeople
    Sounds interesting. Wonder if the film will make it mainstream? they havent done a film yet have they?
    Nope, this (or the Jerry Garcia project, depending on which one is developed first) will be the first feature film from J2 Pictures, however it's not the first film Justin has produced. He was a co-producer on the film, Romance and Cigarettes, which has been released in the UK I believe but is still awaiting a US release. That film was not produced through his production company though.

Thanks for the news. I would think he likes J2 more than acting, we have heard a lot more from J2 projects than his acting projects after all.
    Malcolm: Where did you get $30??
    Reese: What are you a cop?? (S2E22)

Thanx for the news Rye! I'm happy for Justin that J2 is working so well! I loved Rich Kids Cattle Drive! Did you watch it?
    Justin should make a film in J2 and act in it as well, That would be so cool!!!
    Dewey: Moms not buying me a birthday present?!
    Francis: Thats not what I'm saying...
    Dewey: But it's my birthday!
    Francis: No it's not!
    #1~ malcolm in the middle ~#1

Im glad to see Justin (and J2) finally do something again. Hope these movies do good, and I also hope Justin makes a film that he himself will star in.

Here's a snippet from the May 28th Las Vegas Sun, indicating there was quite a competition for the film rights to this woman's life story:

"Shortly after her booking, movie producers Justin Berfield and Jason Felts arrived [in Las Vegas] with a contract they hoped Payne would sign. About 20 other producers were also in town, Felts says, in search of her autograph.
    Payne's signature on the contract will bring $150,000 and 2.5 percent of the movie's net profit, she says. Now she hopes to stay alive long enough to see it."

Another encouraging aspect of this project is that the creative collaborator is in place--Eunetta Boone will write the story. She's a veteran creator/writer/producer of black-themed comedies (her sitcom One on One had a five-year run on UPN). The Jerry Garcia biopic project is not as far along, as no creative team is yet in place.

This Payne woman had such a colorful "career" as a jewel thief, it would be hard not to make an entertaining movie of her life. Her life was a long series of slick con jobs and slippery escapes; she'd pop up in exotic places--Paris, Monte Carlo. She had an eye for quality, stealing just a few jewels of very high value. Her technique was to smooth-talk people into letting down their guard--jewel merchants, halfway-house guards. The role will be a stellar vehicle for a first-rate black actress, or actresses (her escapades spanned five decades). I'm very much looking forward to this movie. (And it would certainly be nice if Justin cast himself in a small but "meaty" role in it!)