New project for Justin's J2 Pictures

Ryebeach

Justin's production company, J2 Pictures/J2TV, is developing a motion picture based on the real life story of 75 year old international jewel thief, Doris Payne. You can read the recent article from Variety here: http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117943160?categoryid=1238&cs=1

The article also makes mention of J2's upcoming Jerry Garcia film project as well.

You can keep apprised of all of Justin's producing projects through J2's website: www.j2pictures.com

Ryebeach

yardgames said:
Thanks for keeping us informed Rye. :) Does Justin like J2 better than acting, or do you have no idea?
No problem. :) I don't know if he likes one more than another. He's said in the past that he would still like to act but he's very interested in the behind-the-camera aspect too so my guess would be that he likes them both equally.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Sounds interesting. Wonder if the film will make it mainstream? they havent done a film yet have they?

Ryebeach

tjpeople said:
Sounds interesting. Wonder if the film will make it mainstream? they havent done a film yet have they?
Nope, this (or the Jerry Garcia project, depending on which one is developed first) will be the first feature film from J2 Pictures, however it's not the first film Justin has produced. He was a co-producer on the film, Romance and Cigarettes, which has been released in the UK I believe but is still awaiting a US release. That film was not produced through his production company though.

samboo1

Thanks for the news. :) I would think he likes J2 more than acting, we have heard a lot more from J2 projects than his acting projects after all.

Reesegurl

Thanx for the news Rye! I'm happy for Justin that J2 is working so well! I loved Rich Kids Cattle Drive! Did you watch it?
Justin should make a film in J2 and act in it as well, That would be so cool!!!

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Im glad to see Justin (and J2) finally do something again.:D Hope these movies do good, and I also hope Justin makes a film that he himself will star in.

Malcoholic

Here's a snippet from the May 28th Las Vegas Sun, indicating there was quite a competition for the film rights to this woman's life story:

"Shortly after her booking, movie producers Justin Berfield and Jason Felts arrived [in Las Vegas] with a contract they hoped Payne would sign. About 20 other producers were also in town, Felts says, in search of her autograph.
Payne's signature on the contract will bring $150,000 and 2.5 percent of the movie's net profit, she says. Now she hopes to stay alive long enough to see it."

Another encouraging aspect of this project is that the creative collaborator is in place--Eunetta Boone will write the story. She's a veteran creator/writer/producer of black-themed comedies (her sitcom One on One had a five-year run on UPN). The Jerry Garcia biopic project is not as far along, as no creative team is yet in place.

This Payne woman had such a colorful "career" as a jewel thief, it would be hard not to make an entertaining movie of her life. Her life was a long series of slick con jobs and slippery escapes; she'd pop up in exotic places--Paris, Monte Carlo. She had an eye for quality, stealing just a few jewels of very high value. Her technique was to smooth-talk people into letting down their guard--jewel merchants, halfway-house guards. The role will be a stellar vehicle for a first-rate black actress, or actresses (her escapades spanned five decades). I'm very much looking forward to this movie. (And it would certainly be nice if Justin cast himself in a small but "meaty" role in it!)

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
It actually sounds like a entertaining movie, BUT, I have to question the morality of this for a second. Why does anyone want to make a movie to glorify the acts of a theif? Why not try to make a movie that glorifies the act/acts of a real hero?
Anyway, still good to see Justin and J2 getting some projects!:)

Malcoholic

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Hey, I can still read that one. :D (just giving you a hard time Rye. (inside joke @Rye)) It does sound like a really fascinating movie and having someone as young as Justin contributing should put a unique spin on it. I can't wait to see it.

Ryebeach

yardgames said:
Hey, I can still read that one. :D (just giving you a hard time Rye.)
Hey, one can't be perfect everyday. :p :D

Thanks for the link, Malcoholic. :) Interesting read! Yes, Justin is very involved in the creative process for all projects through his production company, including this one. I'm very much looking forward to learning more about this film, as the process continues along.

simon_4420

Sounds really good I can't wait for it to be made. Should be really good if it is anything like "Catch Me If You Can". :D Any ideas when either films might be made??

Ryebeach

simon_4420 said:
Sounds really good I can't wait for it to be made. Should be really good if it is anything like "Catch Me If You Can". :D Any ideas when either films might be made??
I'm not sure. J2 hasn't released those details yet as both films are still in the development stages. If I hear anything about possible release dates, I'll be sure to post the news here. :)