Discontinuation of the main VC
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discontinuation of the main VC

Default Discontinuation of the main VC

Due to a general lack of time to maintain the MITMVC to the highest standard, I will no longer be renewing the main VC (this doesn't include the forums). As well as a lack of time, the main VC costs quite a substaintial amount a year in web fee subscription. Sadly it is not possible to move the entire VC onto this server, and I do not have the time to move it onto other free servers.

If you would be interested in continuing the main VC, or if a group of you is interested in preventing it from discontiuing, then please contact me. This is a financial commitment of about £100 a year currently, so only consider if you can seriously afford the web fees. There is also the possibility of transferring over parts of the site to others severs, if you have the space, and the bandwidth to cope with the traffic the MITMVC receives.

Remember this doesn't include the forums, which are stored in my own personal server, which I do plan to keep up and running until November at least, business is going well currently and therefore it is highly likely they will remain up for at few more years at least.

The main VC has been running since 10th April 2004.

Default Re: Discontinuation of the main VC

That's totally understandable David. Now that MITM is over there are no new episodes to add and rate, and all the discussion of them happens here at the forums, so it does make sense to discontinue the main VC. It's good that the forums will still be staying for a while

Thats really sad. I dont like all this change!

Lets think about what the Main VC currently does. It lists episodes and a summary of the epsides and a screen cap and rating. that about right? Now we could easily create an epesode guyide as part of this 'site' right? and we could have a screen cap and everything so we could basicically replace it here?

Now currently the gallery is on the main vc servers so what happened to that?

As I have stated before im totally up for hosting. I dont know your bandwidth figure but i have 200GB monthly and only currentl use under 1GB. SO loads free. Ive got to go now so ill post more details and thought later.
    Need help? Email Me Here

TJ if you are willing to host the gallery, (i think it stands at about 300MB+ currently) I hope thats not too big.

The main VC has a bandwidth comsumption of abotu 2.5GB a month currently, so it looks like u can cope with it, and assuming u've got php and mysql databses free then we can probably transfer the whole lot over, all that would be elft for me to do is transfer the malcolminthemiddle.co.uk domain name to these forums.

Well lets see. We have some choices to make. If bandwidth on main vc is only 2.5GB thats fine, but what space does it take up? I have umlimited msql databases, and php.

I mean id be happy to take the main vc, however it maybe better if we jungle things around as said before. below are what i think are our main options.

A) Transfer the main vc (including gallery) to me, keep it identical, and have malcolminthemiddle.co.uk pointing at it as usual. And keep the forums as they are now. So identical as now except im hosting main vc.

B) transfer main vc (and gallery) to me keep it identical but have malcolminthemiddle.co.uk pointing to the forums (wel as in the portal page) Then have something like
    malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/episodes reddirecting to my hosting of the main vc. This would mean this would become the main site with epsideo guide a sister site.

C) Scrap the main vc. Transfer malcolminthemiddle.co.uk to here and decide to make a new section of THIS site into a main vc replacement. Just like we have a news portal page we could have a page that had details of each episode along with pic and summary. If it worked a bit like the news page then people would be able to look round at various episdeos and easily post about specfic episodes. ( i could still host the gallery)

I personally think these are the only options, but if u have others do say. Now A is probs the simplist and C would require alot of work in implamenting the new 'main vc'.

@dave how are the cybersplat.co.uk server atm space and bandwidth wise?

Also i love my hosting atm, www.surpasshosting.com $6/month for 5GB space and 200GB bandwidth unlimited mysql, 10 add on domians loads of stuff. REal good value.
    Need help? Email Me Here

all in all they both take up 336MB and the bandwidth is for both, but the gallery is the main consumer of that bandwidth (i'm assuming)

its up to everyone as to what stays and goes, peronally I will not have time to be involved with any reconstruction, all i can do is give you the ftp and mysql database access to the main vc and all you to transfer everything. It expires in June so that gives you well over 1 month.

The forums have no more room for expansion, we are right at the edge of my webspace therefore B is not really an option.

OK we have crafted a plan see what you think. We cant move the main vc in with the forum cuase of space issues.

What we could do i transfer malcolminthemiddle.co.uk to the server for the forum and make it the forum domain, so that malcolminthemiddle.co.uk takes you to the portal front news page. Then transfer the whole main vc to my serves and link to then on the menu bar here ^ at the top.

This would take the strain of david, without changing the vc. It would also draw in new users to the forums as malcolminthemiddle.co.uk is a wider known domain so they will end up in the forums more easily.

comments?
    Need help? Email Me Here

I think your new idea is best, but it's not really my decision, TJ, it's yours.
    The jerk formerly known as J.

Good to see you back, David. It's a shame you've been so busy--find some time to watch the finale!!

What is it that costs 100 Euro a year, the software to run the VC or the plan that you've purchased for it? I'm all for whatever you guys seem to have worked out. I've fallen behind in updating the main VC with the AP test I took last week. Oddly enough I was going to start writing summaries again this afternoon, so let me know if I should bother once you all have this worked out.

I'm confused, but anything that keeps the site around sounds good to me. The main VC is awesome, but I would rather see that go than the forums. So I'm understanding correctly, the forums will stay just as they are, but the domain will change to the domain that the main VC is now? And the main VC and gallery will move to TJ's server? That sounds like a good idea. I don't think we could really move the forums because that would mean that people would have to reregister and all that and everyone would start over from scratch with a new account. I could be wrong on that though. Like I said, I'm confused. Anyway, thanks for offering your services TJ. It would be great if both sites could stay online! Just let me know if I should update the gallery with graduation pics.