Discontinuation of the main VC

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Retired Administrator
Due to a general lack of time to maintain the MITMVC to the highest standard, I will no longer be renewing the main VC (this doesn't include the forums). As well as a lack of time, the main VC costs quite a substaintial amount a year in web fee subscription. Sadly it is not possible to move the entire VC onto this server, and I do not have the time to move it onto other free servers.

If you would be interested in continuing the main VC, or if a group of you is interested in preventing it from discontiuing, then please contact me. This is a financial commitment of about £100 a year currently, so only consider if you can seriously afford the web fees. There is also the possibility of transferring over parts of the site to others severs, if you have the space, and the bandwidth to cope with the traffic the MITMVC receives.

Remember this doesn't include the forums, which are stored in my own personal server, which I do plan to keep up and running until November at least, business is going well currently and therefore it is highly likely they will remain up for at few more years at least.

The main VC has been running since 10th April 2004.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
That's totally understandable David. Now that MITM is over there are no new episodes to add and rate, and all the discussion of them happens here at the forums, so it does make sense to discontinue the main VC. It's good that the forums will still be staying for a while :D

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Thats really sad. I dont like all this change!

Lets think about what the Main VC currently does. It lists episodes and a summary of the epsides and a screen cap and rating. that about right? Now we could easily create an epesode guyide as part of this 'site' right? and we could have a screen cap and everything so we could basicically replace it here?

Now currently the gallery is on the main vc servers so what happened to that?

As I have stated before im totally up for hosting. I dont know your bandwidth figure but i have 200GB monthly and only currentl use under 1GB. SO loads free. Ive got to go now so ill post more details and thought later.

admin

Retired Administrator
TJ if you are willing to host the gallery, (i think it stands at about 300MB+ currently) I hope thats not too big.

The main VC has a bandwidth comsumption of abotu 2.5GB a month currently, so it looks like u can cope with it, and assuming u've got php and mysql databses free then we can probably transfer the whole lot over, all that would be elft for me to do is transfer the malcolminthemiddle.co.uk domain name to these forums.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Well lets see. We have some choices to make. If bandwidth on main vc is only 2.5GB thats fine, but what space does it take up? I have umlimited msql databases, and php.

I mean id be happy to take the main vc, however it maybe better if we jungle things around as said before. below are what i think are our main options.

A) Transfer the main vc (including gallery) to me, keep it identical, and have malcolminthemiddle.co.uk pointing at it as usual. And keep the forums as they are now. So identical as now except im hosting main vc.

B) transfer main vc (and gallery) to me keep it identical but have malcolminthemiddle.co.uk pointing to the forums (wel as in the portal page) Then have something like
malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/episodes reddirecting to my hosting of the main vc. This would mean this would become the main site with epsideo guide a sister site.

C) Scrap the main vc. Transfer malcolminthemiddle.co.uk to here and decide to make a new section of THIS site into a main vc replacement. Just like we have a news portal page we could have a page that had details of each episode along with pic and summary. If it worked a bit like the news page then people would be able to look round at various episdeos and easily post about specfic episodes. ( i could still host the gallery)

I personally think these are the only options, but if u have others do say. Now A is probs the simplist and C would require alot of work in implamenting the new 'main vc'.

@dave how are the cybersplat.co.uk server atm space and bandwidth wise?

Also i love my hosting atm, www.surpasshosting.com $6/month for 5GB space and 200GB bandwidth unlimited mysql, 10 add on domians loads of stuff. REal good value. :D

admin

Retired Administrator
all in all they both take up 336MB and the bandwidth is for both, but the gallery is the main consumer of that bandwidth (i'm assuming)

its up to everyone as to what stays and goes, peronally I will not have time to be involved with any reconstruction, all i can do is give you the ftp and mysql database access to the main vc and all you to transfer everything. It expires in June so that gives you well over 1 month.

The forums have no more room for expansion, we are right at the edge of my webspace therefore B is not really an option.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
OK we have crafted a plan see what you think. We cant move the main vc in with the forum cuase of space issues.

What we could do i transfer malcolminthemiddle.co.uk to the server for the forum and make it the forum domain, so that malcolminthemiddle.co.uk takes you to the portal front news page. Then transfer the whole main vc to my serves and link to then on the menu bar here ^ at the top.

This would take the strain of david, without changing the vc. It would also draw in new users to the forums as malcolminthemiddle.co.uk is a wider known domain so they will end up in the forums more easily.

comments?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Good to see you back, David. :) It's a shame you've been so busy--find some time to watch the finale!!

What is it that costs 100 Euro a year, the software to run the VC or the plan that you've purchased for it? I'm all for whatever you guys seem to have worked out. I've fallen behind in updating the main VC with the AP test I took last week. Oddly enough I was going to start writing summaries again this afternoon, so let me know if I should bother once you all have this worked out.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
I'm confused, but anything that keeps the site around sounds good to me. :D The main VC is awesome, but I would rather see that go than the forums. So I'm understanding correctly, the forums will stay just as they are, but the domain will change to the domain that the main VC is now? And the main VC and gallery will move to TJ's server? That sounds like a good idea. I don't think we could really move the forums because that would mean that people would have to reregister and all that and everyone would start over from scratch with a new account. I could be wrong on that though. Like I said, I'm confused. :D Anyway, thanks for offering your services TJ. It would be great if both sites could stay online! Just let me know if I should update the gallery with graduation pics.

admin

Retired Administrator
yardgames said:
Good to see you back, David. :) It's a shame you've been so busy--find some time to watch the finale!!

What is it that costs 100 Euro a year, the software to run the VC or the plan that you've purchased for it? I'm all for whatever you guys seem to have worked out. I've fallen behind in updating the main VC with the AP test I took last week. Oddly enough I was going to start writing summaries again this afternoon, so let me know if I should bother once you all have this worked out.

We still use pound sterling in the UK, its a signficantly stronger currently than the euro :D

You should continue to update, since we will transfer the entire database over. The forums will remain on this server Wildcat, which is my own personal one (cybersplat.co.uk) therefore they be safe for quite a while yet.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
admin said:
We still use pound sterling in the UK, its a signficantly stronger currently than the euro :D

(off topic: )Alright UK! Fight the power of big EU-ness. :D You guys aren't in the EU, the last time I checked, right? Slovania and Latvia(sp?) were asked/asking to join recently, I think.

(on-topic: ) I have to agree with Christina, I'd too rather have the fourms then the VC. The Gallery is a nice thing to have, too. Thanks for offering to keep part of MITM's best website alive, TJ. :)

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Its no problem. When we talk about moving, it will litterally be an exact copy so even if the forum moved (which they aint gunna) it would be identical. So go ahead as usual, wheh we transfer it there will be a little down time, depends hows things go, but apart from that you wont notice much except for change in domain of the forum.

The major change you will notice is that 'cybersplat' domain will be no more, becuase it will be replaced with malcolminthemiddle.co.uk as far and the VC is concerned. Ill sort things out with david now, and keep you updated on whaen things are gunna happen.

admin

Retired Administrator
I'll probably just redirect the MITM domain name rather than change my server to it.

J. we are in the EU :D we just don't want to join the euro yet (if at all).

han_keep_smilin

Wildcat said:
The main VC is awesome, but I would rather see that go than the forums.

Yeh. I agree the main vc is great but i do use the forums more than that:)

£100! thats steep for a website i neer knew it cost that much to run a website!

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Since all this technical moving-around-the-websites-so-no-body-can-find-them-agian:D crap is confusing, I have a much simpler plan that will work IF and only if everyone isn't too greedy-
David can give us a bank account or whatever he uses for his financial holdings and we can all(here comes the don't be greedy part) CHIP IN and keep everything exactly as it is right now. Now, before anyone says something like that's too expensive, think about it: we have over 1,000 members here. Now, we may not be able to get in touch with all of them(I know some of them have left and haven't been here for over a year), but we can probably send mass emails out about the situation and we can probably get around 100 or so members to respond and chip in. I think if everyone chipped in maybe around the area of 1-2 dollars(or maybe 3 Euros/Pounds), we can keep everything exactly as it is right now. I don't think that's asking too much. Im willing to do it and chip in. Who's with me?

han_keep_smilin

good i dea but how would other coutnries give the money i mean you use dollers so you would have to convert it:D or would you just put it right onto the acount?

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Why bother? a) we will never raise it b) the £100 quid is a complete rip off so he's better off not paying anymore. C) im free.

Status
Not open for further replies.