Graduation: Opinions & Analysis

yardgames

Retired Administrator
What would you have shown more of? The speech perhaps? It would have gotten really sappy though and that's never been what MITM is about.

Welcome to the forums! Have fun posting! I'm an admin here, along with TJ who's built this version, and Wildcat's our moderator and Ryebeach our news guy.

Gouki

What would you have shown more of? The speech perhaps? It would have gotten really sappy though and that's never been what MITM is about.

Exactly (even if Season 7 was, arguably, the most emotional season). Personally, I think having a single parter was just fine. It highlighted all the main points about the series (growing up, family, life goes on), without any excess baggage.

That said, I am disappointed we didn't get a final appearance by at least Cynthia and Herkebe.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I agree, and I think we should have seen the Krelboynes in Morp, not a bunch of random classmates but the concepts were good and given that the actors were probably impossible to get, they did what they could. But I disagree that more of the speech should have been shown. The parts shown highlighted perfectly what Malcolm had learned during the episode and during the series as a whole.

MIgurl

Cynthia wasn't very popular on Malcolm in the Middle. Therefore I don't think I missed her at all. As for Herkabe, let's just say that he later loses his job at North High after he get himself a newer rival in another diciplinarian

yardgames

Retired Administrator
What are you talking about about Herkabe?

With regards to Cynthia, this is really a completely different topic but I don't think popularity has anything to do with it. Cynthia was designed and written to be hated. That was what was supposed to happen. Like Herkabe or the Big Bad Wolf. But Cynthia isn't evil; she's hated for different reasons; hence her great comical clash with Malcolm.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Look closely at the shot looking down on the family with the empty seats around them - did anyone else notice that the people sitting on the right hand side in the row in front of Francis, Piama and Dewey, are the same as the people sitting in the middle of the front row?

Amigo22

Super Moderator
I re-watched that scene a few times afterwards and it seems odd how they could have edited it like that.

Also I was watching it on my computer, it would probably be difficult to pick up on TV.

Flying4Life

It was a very sad day to watch Malcolm graduate knowing that this would be the last episode that I would get to watch! Malcolm won my heart over 8 years ago when I was flipping through the channels and noticed a premiere of a new show coming on. From that day and time I was hooked and was left wanting more!!! I think this was a perfect way to end the show and for Malcolm to finally realize just what his parents wanted him to become and it was a pleasure to watch!

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
It was a very sad day to watch Malcolm graduate knowing that this would be the last episode that I would get to watch! Malcolm won my heart over 8 years ago when I was flipping through the channels and noticed a premiere of a new show coming on. From that day and time I was hooked and was left wanting more!!! I think this was a perfect way to end the show and for Malcolm to finally realize just what his parents wanted him to become and it was a pleasure to watch!

Hi and welcome Flying4Life we hope you enjoy your stay, if you need any help feel free to email me from the link below.

Lozart

The last episode seemed like any other show :(
I mean, the first episode (the extended version) had a better ending than graduation.

It was the last episode! Maybe Malcolm should of done one of his monologues at the end of graduation. Like he did in the Pilot.

Evil King

F.A.Q Freak
The thing about the last episode is that you don't really realize it's the end until you think about it really deeply. I was expecting a lot of references from the first season to clear up all the confusion about the storyline, which is why I thought it would be a 2 -parter.

Like people are saying, I think everything was cramped together to fit in the key parts, they probably had to leave out so many scenes that they wanted to add. Other people may ask "what's the point? why would you want it to be longer?".

Since it is the last episode, I was expecting (like I said above) a lot of references from the first season, the "Radio Active" thing was very clever, but that was really the only thing. And also, I was expecting some more characters from previous episodes to be seen.

In most Sitcom finales, they leave a lot to our imagination, which is a good thing, however, I personally think they left 'too much' for our imagination. I for one would have liked to see a better example of Dewey and Jamie's Mischief, a tiny bit more of Malcolm's Speech, perhaps hearing a bit of discussion between Lois and Hal about their plans (of course that is before it was shattered by the new baby), and a lot more.

Apart from the fact that too much was left for us to imagine/predict, I think it was a brilliant ending, with so many major twists. Francis having a proper job he enjoys, Malcolm expected to become president, a 6th child, Reese moving in with Craig and even the simple fact that Dewey is now the oldest brother in the household, which never occurred to me until the last few episodes.

Since it is the last episode, it was probably extremely hard to set a path for each main character while also trying to end it with a "Malcolm in the Middle" style where it was funny. I think the balance was very good, where they used mainly Hal and Reese to keep it funny and kept Lois and Malcolm to reveal the final part of the main storyline.

I find it easier to criticise what I thought was bad than what was good which is why it may look like I didn't like it but I actually did, it was probably the best episode in season 7.

Last edited:

MITM_Fan

S07E22 - Quite an episode..

I finished watching all seasons.

All episodes were great but.. s07e22 wasn't very good, they were all rushing, didn't get to know they're last name, and a few more plops.

A bad episode ending for the serie, could've been better. More 20mins as it was the last episode of the serie and it would've have been a great ending I could imagined.:)

Is it only me, that feels this way, S07E22 wasn't so good?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jayhost

See Francis turning out to be like Hal was so touching. Hal was so happy and it was nice to see them have that special connection. For seven seasons it was a lot of Francis vs. Lois and Hal as the mediator.

I liked the way Malcolm used Paul in his speech and Lois was all teary. I was so proud of Malcolm.

I LOVED the ending of Reese's part with Craig. Him being nice and still a good chef. I loved that he will be remembered as a good guy deep down.

but more than anything, the very end. Malcolm talking on the phone with Reese. I always thought they had the strongest connection out of the brothers and it touched me as a big Reese/Malcolm fan that they got to have the last conversation.:wub:

Lparsons7981

To me it seemed like any other episode. They could have done more with it and made it longer.:(

I agree, why I don't mind the ending, I wanted to be blown away by something............more. Then again there is something to be said for going about things like nothing is changing I guess. I do however absolutely love Reese and Malcolm talking on the phone, such a maturing of their relationship as brothers close in age, it's all the "good" of their child and teenage years with none of the screaming fights and rivalry :) I can just imagine them when Malcolm comes home for thanksgiving or Christmas, a civil conversation may be possible.

I loved Francis turning into Hal, Perfect and really completes his character development. I would have liked to see the baby surprise at the end be his though, would have been a perfect start to another "adventure" :D

The main thing that bothered me was I wish it was a 1hour send off and that Reese didn't get to be a cook, he deserved a happy ending.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
I would have liked to see the baby surprise at the end be his though, would have been a perfect start to another "adventure" :D

Yeah, that would have been a good idea, since Piama had said they may as well go ahead and have kids when they were cleaning the gunk off themselves.