722 - Graduation SPOILERS!!!!!! LAST EVER!!!!!!!!

ahelm13

from thefutoncritic

Spoiler for Spoilers!:
MALCOLM SAYS GOODBYE ON THE SERIES FINALE OF "MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE" SUNDAY, MAY 14, ON FOX
Special Guest Appearance by Cloris Leachman
Malcolm is elected valedictorian of his graduating class and struggles with his speech, but Lois refuses to hear his complaints and reveals her plans for him to become President of the United States. On the opposite end of the spectrum, Reese will do anything to get a permanent job as the high school janitor, even concocting the most disgusting mess of all time, which explodes all over the family. Meanwhile, Hal struggles with Malcolm's Harvard tuition and Francis lands a "real" job working 9 to 5 in a cubicle and enjoys every minute of it. Grandma Ida (Cloris Leachman) returns for the family festivities, and they all bid farewell to Malcolm when he leaves for college in "Graduation," the series-finale episode of MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE airing Sunday, May 14 (8:30-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (MIM-722) (TV-PG D, L)
Cast: Jane Kaczmarek as Lois, Bryan Cranston as Hal, Frankie Muniz as Malcolm, Christopher Masterson as Francis, Justin Berfield as Reese, Erik Per Sullivan as Dewey and Craig Lamar Traylor as Stevie.
Guest Cast: Cloris Leachman as Ida.

Note the time change: it's at 8:30

Kratos

That sounds... AWFUL! :eek:

Totally crazy implausible character twists no MITM fan would fall for that junk.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
IMO the writers can totally do better than that.

Spoiler for Spoilers:

Malcolm plot: why would someone with a genius IQ of 165 struggle to write a speech?

Reese plot: Initially my reaction to this was why he would want to work at the school, although his career options would be very limited anyway.

Francis plot: I think it's stupid they're only having him get a new job now. That's the story they should have been using the last two seasons as an explanation for his rare appearances.

I guess we can assume Hal and Lois will be continuing in their current jobs. Dewey has one more year before he starts High School so nothing will happen with him either. But then there's Jamie, what about him?

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Hmmm...I agree. It doesn't sound too great. I really shouldn't judge it before I see it, but here are my initial thoughts from reading the spoiler.

Spoiler for spoilers:

I can go along with Malcolm having trouble writing the speech even with a 165 IQ. But why would they be "bidding him farewell" to leave for college? You don't just leave to go to college they day after you graduate. :rolleyes:

Reese-Geez! Couldn't they think of something better for Reese to do with his life than be a high school janitor. I mean, we've seen his many talents--cooking, sales, and apparently acting as we saw in Morp--and they're going to stick him with a crappy janitor job!! :mad:

Francis--He would never be happy with a desk job. THat's not Francis. He's a free spirit. I just can't see him pushing papers for the rest of his life.

I really hope it proves to be better than it sounds.

reese35

Spoiler for My 2 Cents:
I don't know why they couldn't have just make it another full hour - a proper send-off. And REESE, the COOK, tryin to get a job as the janitor? What up w/ that? Now, this should have gone in another thread, but if I was co-writing and co-directing with Linny, which I'm sure he will, here's what'd go -
  1. I'd keep the Ida visit, because she's been a little staple in the series since season 3, but I'd resurrect the Krelboynes and Caroline and her young'un, since they've been much of a staple for the first 2 seasons. It wouldn't be fair to close this series without giving them some notice.
  2. I'd tinker with some plot lines and make it more of a basic graduation/reunion episode, 75% reality, 25% clips.
  3. And because of that statement, i would've made it a double length eppy, at 9:00. 8:30, it'd be the pilot, the COMPLETE DVD version. Family Guy and American Dad can take the night off.
  4. MORE. PRO. MOTION. Far as I know, Malcolm's THE MOST UNDERRATED sitcom on American television.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
heh... sounds......

Spoiler for ...continued...:

sounds like a sappy ending to a great seris to me...... But I'll trust the writers to give us hat MITM wit that they normally have. :)

I don't really like the idea of Francis gtting a desk job, he's deffinetly not that type, like Cristina said, that's just not him...

I spoke at my 8th grade graudation(being the Student Council President) and I found it easy, and I'm no 165 IQ genius, either. :D But I hope Malcolm will make it funny.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Can someone put this in the spoiler type thing? Thanks.

Spoiler for Spoiler:

Malcolm will most likely end up insulting everyone at the high school, and he will probably say they treated him like crap and yadda yadda yadda(we know Malcolm, he hates everyone.:D ). I too don't like Reese's storyline. Geez, like you guys said, he can cook and everything and yet they are going to give him some crap job at the school. WTF? I HOPE they do something good with Dewey, like they finally discover he is a genius like Malcolm(in my opinion more so) and he becomes a krelboyne in the finale. You gotta admit that sounds like a good ending for him!:D And yeah, I CANNOT see Francis working at a desk job. That's just not him at all. I hope Malcolm goes out on a high note, because this finale is sounding pretty lousy. And I am also with Reese35, what FOX NEEDS to do is(say it with me) PROMOTE THE FINALE.:D

Hey, this is my 400th post!!! YAY!:)

rzombie1988

This honestly sounds bad. Maybe the episode will somehow be great, but I'm doubting it as this point.

Spoiler for Spoilers:

Francis - what is with the '"real" job? I think something is up or else real wouldn't be in quotations. Honestly I've always thought Francis would make it as some kind of inspriational leader, like a Che or Ghandi or Martin Luther King. Guess he won't. Only positive thing is that the writers actually remembered him as he is as important of a character as anyone is.

Malcolm - Guys we've seen this in past episodes that he has trouble with doing certain things, and this is one of them. I'm really not bothered by it too much. He'll say something stupid up there like telling everyone to stick it or something.

Reese - Why would Reese be a janitor? He absolutely hates school. He also feels that all the teachers are out to get him, so why would he want to work there? Makes no sense whatsoever. Reese has so much talent and it's a shame that this is what will happen with him. I'm still sticking to my guns on he should have got with that girl, and then in this episode she could have encouraged him to become a cook or something better.

Dewey and Jamie - ??? Hopefully something is revealed about them.

Hal - Make sense, although with all their spending lately, yet it doesn't.

Lois - Fine, makes sense as well. Not much to comment on, except its typical Lois.

Ida - You knew it was coming. It makes sense which is saying something in this episode.

Craig - I think we could possibly see him. I'd like to think we will.

I really hope the writers dish out the $$$ so we can see the Krelboynes. It just wouldn't be the same without them. Also as fans we need and deserve MITM telling us what happens in the future to characters. I know MITM likes to leave us wondering, but they can't on this one.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Well, now that I think about it, we better stop knocking it before we see it. Who knows, it might turn out to be the best episode of MITM ever(maybe even better than Red Dress!! BUM BUM BUMMMMM...but I doubt it). And you know the old saying,"Don't knock it till you try it"...which in this case is dont knock it till you see it.:D

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Yes, it's the last episode ever. :( And no, unfortunately this episode is just going to be a regular length, 30 minute ep. It's a shame they couldn't have made it an hour, or at least a two-parter.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
That's stupid. A 30 minute (well, 20 - 22 excluding breaks) episode is not long enough for a series finale.

And it doesn't seem as though they're going to have anyone else coming back for the ep, apart from Grandma Ida. One would think that in a series finale they would bring back the major characters (eg the Krelboynes) for the last episode.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
So they have only 20 odd minutes to finish the entire show?! WTF?! Who at FOX made that decision? Id like to give whoever it was a swift kick to the nuts right now!

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Amigo22 said:
And it doesn't seem as though they're going to have anyone else coming back for the ep, apart from Grandma Ida. One would think that in a series finale they would bring back the major characters (eg the Krelboynes) for the last episode.

Frankie said on one of the talk shows that "everyone from the last seven years" came back for the last day of filming (he didn't mention any names though). He didn't say they were actually going to be in the ep, but he said the were there. I really hope we get to see the Krelboynes again, but I doubt it will happen.

@Tony--I agree too. :D

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
@ tony- wanna borrow my crowbar? :D:D

But you are right, we shouldn't start condeming it until we've seen it, these spoilers, while informative, can't give us everything. We just play the waiting game now. :D