"MITM is foul"

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I have to agree with Reesegurl on this one. And that's a great observation she had. MITM does have at least one thing that appeals to someone. Like she said, younger ones will be interested in Dewey's plot, older kids and teens will be interested in Malcolms/Reese's, and the even older teens/adults will be interested in Hal/Lois plots(guess Francis' plots can go in there too).
Anyway, let's not let some measly critics ruin this great show. In the words of the classic wrestling group D-Generation X, if they don't like the show, I got two words for them....SUCK IT!:D

Alfista Junior

Reesegurl is right. Even if the show is not for little kids, there's no problem for them to watch Mitm because they don't get all the stuffs about sex, maybe religion and other controversial topics. And honestly on TV, cartoons for kids are a way too violent and hollow than it was before, when I was a kid. But those critics are more hurt because the show attacks them directly.

I've to talk you about something which can make the debate evolve.
You know in France we don't have the problem, and it's not only because France is less puritan than the US. Actually when they translated the show they changed the vocabulary a little bit, but enough to change the way we consider the show. And they also censored the credits, every scene considered as violent has been replaced. It's more subtle because most of the country doesn't know there are those changes. And that's also why most of French people consider it is a kid show.. It's a pity for us even if I don't think they did that in a way to censor the show. They just thought it was a kid show and they wanted to make the show more suitable for kids.

Any reaction?

Kratos

Alfista Junior said:
Reesegurl is right. Even if the show is not for little kids, there's no problem for them to watch Mitm because they don't get all the stuffs about sex, maybe religion and other controversial topics. And honestly on TV, cartoons for kids are a way too violent and hollow than it was before, when I was a kid. But those critics are more hurt because the show attacks them directly.

I've to talk you about something which can make the debate evoluate.
You know in France we don't have the problem, and it's not only because France is less puritan than US. Actually when they translated they show they changed the vocabulary a little bit, but enough for me to change the show. And they also censured the credits, every scene considered as violent has been replaced. It's more subtle because most of the country doesn't get there are those changes. And that's also why most of French people consider it is a kid show.. It's a pity for us even if I don't think they did that in a way to censure the show. They just thought it was a kid show and they wanted to make the show more suitable for kids.

Any reaction?

Hmmm, from what I understand France is having an idenity crisis at the moment anyway, its a little like Britian but France are further into it... the idea that TV from other cultures and countries is somehow replacing it's own cultural idenity (What does it mean to be French or British anyway????) . So the country limits what it imports etc.

I guess lucky for us Brits, Britain was never just ONE race etc, we have always been muti - cultural, which is good for fans of American TV :D

IMO I dont think it's good to be so self contained, America hardly imports from any country at all! How do Americans learn about the way other people live etc and at the end of the day they are at the mercy of the networks... :(

Malcoholic

Kratos said:
IMO I dont think it's good to be so self contained, America hardly imports from any country at all! :(
Cheer up! British sitcoms on American public TV have done very well. Most of my friends know who Hyacinth Bucket (Boo-KAY) is. "Are You Being Served" and "Fawlty Towers" have also been extremely popular.
One more brighter note: As some of you probably know, another one of these morals watchdog groups, the Family Programming Council, this year gave their Favorite Brothers award to Frankie, Justin, and Erik for their roles in MITM.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
@Malcholic-Yeah, they are good bros to each other, when you really think about it.
Ha ha..."Are you being served?" Love that show!:D
"Are you free, Mr.Humphries?"
"Im free, Captain Peacock!"(that high pitched voice:D )

AlexTheMartian

Kratos said:
:D :eek: :p I just read this article about MITM and it just cracks me up;

I cant believe some people can be so uptight?! Do you think the PTC have a point or are they just being absurd?

it is FOX!! it is not NBC or CBS, lol.. FOX is the one network that is the closest to being a cable channel, lol. I love FOX. To be honest, Bernie Mac and The War at Home pushes the limits even further then MITM. and MITM is about the same level of humor as Married with Children.

PBUNDY

Married... With Children has way more sexual content than Malcolm in the Middle has ever had. I think Malcolm has a lot more violence, though. But Married... With Children first aired on FOX in 1987, and was a very controversial show for FOX to air. Malcolm, by today's low set standards is very tame.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Those UK show listed are all very old. You dont get that many modern UK shows, the best export in recent times has been The Office, that aired in US but also was redone for US. Which i can understand becuase culture and humor do differ.

@Alfista Junior I dont quite understand what you are saying. DO they edit out scenes in the episodes? How can that work? surely that would mean you cant understand what has happened? I can understand them changing words a little like with the grotto.

Alfista Junior

Sorry if I was not clear enough. I removed some spelling mistakes I made last time (like censure instead of censor). You can have a look back on my previous post. I will try to say that the easier way.

First, dubbing naturally offers a chance to use a different kind of langage without changing the real meaning of dialogues. While the original version uses sometimes rude words the french one prefers expressing the same ideas differently. It's not totally different but...
Concerning the credits title, they replaced the most violent scenes with others from the show.

I hope it's clear...

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Ok thanks I understand now. Its allways interesting to see what other countires/languages do with MITM.

Richiepiep

Administrator
Actually, I think the PTC website's review is MITM is rather fair, even though I don't like its judgmental tone and, obviously, the advice to contact distributors and sponsors to complain, implying they withdraw their support.

Four amber lights aren't ludicrous I think, they would indicate an age 12+ tag which I'm perfectly happy with. In fact, I've never thought of MITM as a children's series, although it's been promoted and shown that way in a number of countries. I wouldn't recommend it to younger children, not because it's extremely foul, but because a lot of the jokes and complex plots would go over their heads and are clearly aimed at teenagers and adults.

Rich

P.S. I should add that on Dutch TV, it's considered pretty normal, at least not highly controversial, to have children's shows for all ages (at least without any proper indication of age, and airing early in the morning) address subjects like prostitution, drugs, shoplifting, homosexuality, vandalism, etc. provided that it's done in a considerate way.

I must admit that I sometimes find this objectionable, especially all the explicit swearing and an often 'pranksterish', disrespectful attitude towards subjects and guests. I also object to the idea of literally thousands of young children (ages 8-11 (1/3rd of 8/9-year-olds are active online now, more than half of 10 yr olds in Holland)) on badly monitored social network sites like Hyves (Facebook, Myspace etc. in the Netherlands) where a lot of inappropriate conduct (name-calling, stalking etc.) takes place, but that's a different discussion altogether!

Last edited:

EEL123

Even Ben Jonson in Shakespeare's time could write 'I fart on thee,' at the beginning of a play. Society can't have regressed that far! The world should be more liberal now. Really, people simply need to accept a bit of profanity and sexual references. Of course, nothing too explicit, but crude humor is fine by me. It's all very well to warn parents about certain things that may be inappropriate for young children (in the end, MitM is PG), but condemnation for 'I have red paint all over my ass' is a clear over-reaction.