Who's smarter? Dewey or Malcolm?

Alle

Why should they not have written the genius aspect into Dewey's character? I think its a bit misguided to think of Dewey as merely musically brilliant. They're called genius's for a reason, not because they have a supreme talent for one thing. As for Malcolm, I don't think the show's writers made him stupid as such, Malcolm just has a few personality flaws that involve a high amount of arrogance but with a shortfall of actual confidence and common sense.

hvg3akaek

Its all down to high intelligence, low wisdom! :)

Malcolm is smart, just not wize. I do not think Dewey is as smart as Malcolm (so, lower IQ), but he is wizer, and as a great bonus, he is less self-absorbed! Malcolm has a great habit of always over-thinking things, and thus messing them up, whereas Dewey can just happily (and at times, dreamily) coast through things, which allows them to work out better.

Alle

If Dewey was less intelligent than Malcolm, then how did he keep outwitting him? And don't say its because he's wiser, because not only is the capacity for wisdom a form of intelligence anyway, but it took more than mere wisdom and common sense to fool Malcolm and others. Unless you think intelligence can only be determined at how well one performs at school, in which case comparisoning them is difficult because we only know more about Malcolm's progress than Dewey's.

hvg3akaek

Actually, I was thinking it more in terms of DnD stats. Intelligence and Wisdom are equal (as important as each other), but cover different things. Malcolm can do calculations, knows stuff, and generally is 'academically' much smarter than Dewey. He knows stuff.

Dewey, however, thinks. He plans, he can manipulate, he can act innocent well. We have simply not seen him do any of the 'brainy' intelligence type stuff that malcolm does.

Malcolm's main problem is that he knows lots, but doesn't discern well. He thinks lots, but not about the right things! And he overthinks to a great extent.

I'd put some comments in here regarding the last season, but they are spoilers, so i won't ;)

Amigo22

Super Moderator
I reckon Dewey is smarter, because of the way he handles situations.

Before we even knew of his genius status, there was the "Brotherhood Initation" thing in "Kitty's Back" in Season 5 which, like in "A.A" last season, he handled perfectly. And in "A.A", had we seen Hal discover his car had been taken out, he wouldn't have blamed Dewey, would he? And Dewey also had the map Malcolm and Reese made as evidence.

Will post the rest later.

hvg3akaek

I'd put some comments in here regarding the last season, but they are spoilers, so i won't ;)

Do! just put[*spoiler=season7]comments[/spoiler] (without *)

Fair enough :)

Spoiler for season 7:
The main thing I was going to add in here was about Lois' expectations of Dewey and Malcolm. If Dewey was as smart/smarter than Malcolm, I think it would have shown itself in that scene. Yet, Dewey does not have the same expectations on him - and none of the family seem surprised. Malcolm is the 'brainy' genius, Dewey is more of the lucky, floating-along one.

Also, after spending time with Francis, Dewey has the 'rock on' attitude. Calm and collected, very different to Malcolm.

Finally (for now :) ) I do not see Dewey getting the same sort of 'six figure' job that Malcolm was offered. It would seem to be more of a Personality instead of Brains wealth, and it definitely didn't sound like Dewey was going to work hard for it.

Alle

Actually, I was thinking it more in terms of DnD stats. Intelligence and Wisdom are equal (as important as each other), but cover different things. Malcolm can do calculations, knows stuff, and generally is 'academically' much smarter than Dewey. He knows stuff.

Dewey, however, thinks. He plans, he can manipulate, he can act innocent well. We have simply not seen him do any of the 'brainy' intelligence type stuff that malcolm does.

Malcolm's main problem is that he knows lots, but doesn't discern well. He thinks lots, but not about the right things! And he overthinks to a great extent.

Like I've previously stated in this thread, simply knowing everything you ever learned from school does not, on its own, signify how intelligent you are. Is someone with the benefit of private education automatically smarter than some rural inhabitant in a third world country who never had the luxury of learning to read?

And I've also stated that of the two, Malcolm's educational progress is the better documented. We have scant knowledge of Dewey's academic performances, but that doesn't mean they're worth nothing. If you want proof of Dewey's genius beyond his musical accomplishments, look at "Malcolm Visits College". Building a working piano out of the most diverse forms of household items as well as diverting electricity betrays a certain level technical and inventive skill. In "Living Will", Dewey informed Hal that switching off that fellows life support will not condemn him to an immediate death, and further went on about how much he'll suffer in his final moments. A horrified and irritable Hal even commented that "as if I don't get enough of that know it all stuff from Malcolm." Then of course, there is "Dewey's Opera".
How many ten or eleven year-olds do you know that can write and direct a successful, adult themed stage act? Also in "Victor's Other Family" he mentioned that Hal failed to appear for an event where Dewey was presented for an award by the mayor for some one act play that he wrote and acted in. Certain accomplishments require some background knowledge to succeed with. And Dewey, I think, is quite educationally proficient himself, although he seldom talks of it. Despite all this though, I don't know if his parents realize his intelligence. If they do, we never hear them speak of it. I think Dewey actually tries to make a conscious effort to not betray the extent of his intellect to his family. I believe the reason for that is if being the family's "golden boy" means being under Lois constant supervision, than Dewey will decide to hide his mental prowess. I would explain more to you, but I have a full schedule ahead of me. Later.

Last edited:

Amigo22

Super Moderator
hvg3akaek said:
Also, after spending time with Francis, Dewey has the 'rock on' attitude.

Yeah but he was probably only going around saying that because he thought it sounded cool.

I think they're all as bad and as good as each other. I already understand there's a difference in wisdom and intelligence, and don't get me wrong I don't hate Dewyw, sorry if it sounds like that. It's just the way they show him as really good at practically everything is not to my liking however I am gald he is portrsaed in a better light than Malcolm because Malcolm can be a bit of a grouch. Overall, what I'm trying to say is that they should't have made it seem that Dewey is academically smater than Malcolm (it seems like it). I man they all have their talet's culinary,, musically and academic etc (said this before) but I don't thnik Dewey should get a better spotlight than Malcom in academic terms (seems like it). So you know what u'se said before about Dewyw ashould be aloud to have spotlight, well he should but not soemone's else's. This is my opinio so no one fly off the handle please.

hvg3akaek

Like I've previously stated in this thread, simply knowing everything you ever learned from school does not, on its own, signify how intelligent you are. Is someone with the benefit of private education automatically smarter than some rural inhabitant in a third world country who never had the luxury of learning to read?
Actually, I would say yes :)

Knowing things is a big part of an IQ test.

In addition - two different people both given the same education would not retain the same amount of information. The one who retained more, I would say, is smarter. At least, they are more intelligent :)

And I've also stated that of the two, Malcolm's educational progress is the better documented. We have scant knowledge of Dewey's academic performances, but that doesn't mean they're worth nothing. If you want proof of Dewey's genius beyond his musical accomplishments, look at
For sure, Dewey is shown to be more gifted than your average kid at the same age! I have no disagreements there :)

But, it is a different giftedness than what Malcom has. To say it is 'better' is, I believe, simply incorrect. As always, we can only go from what we have seen - and that is that Malcom is super smart. He is great at mathematics, science, even history, from the pilot, we are shown he has artistic talent above the rest of the class, and
Spoiler for season seven:
we also see that he has a great affinity for dancing.
He was the smartest of the Krelboyne class (and by the look of it, by a lot - see "Emancipation"), as well as being shown to be smarter than the ex-Krelboyne teacher, Mr. Herkabe
especially in "Malcolm Defends Reese", where it looks like he can beat Herkabe's score without much effort, whereas Herkabe strained and studied like crazy to get there.

Dewey simply doesn't have the same achievements.

I believe the reason for that is if being the family's "golden boy" means being under Lois constant supervision, than Dewey will decide to hide his mental prowess.
That is indeed possible, but as it is not shown, it is just a theory ;) 'Arguing from silence' wont win you your point.
You might as well say that Jamie is smarter than Malcolm because he learnt to do the 'pretend to throw chocolate' trick with Reece whilst 2, and it took Malcolm until 5 to learn that. I don't think this works either - not only is Reece older, but Jamie has more brothers to learn from :)

Oh...
and in "Hal Grieves", it is Reece and Dewey who are milking their father. Malcolm spots Hal's problem before the others, and cares about it too. Until the car... :drool: But this example could be used to argue that Malcolm is more observant than Dewey...

So yes, Dewey is gifted, but is he smarter or more intelligent than Malcolm? I still think not. Will he succeed more in life? Probably, because he does not have some of Malcolm's more annoying traits :laugh:

hvg3akaek

Yeah but he was probably only going around saying that because he thought it sounded cool.

But, from season seven...
specifically, "Graduation", we learn that Lois' idea of Dewey's future is more carefree and less struggle than Malcolm. This sounds very much like a 'rock on' attitude for Dewey. It is Malcolm that has kept upping the ante, increasing his parents expectations. Dewey hasn't.

It's just the way they show him as really good at practically everything is not to my liking however I am gald he is portrsaed in a better light than Malcolm because Malcolm can be a bit of a grouch.
I think this is a good point. The boys were definitely portrayed differently so that the show would be interesting.

However, it is also interesting to note that Dewey does tend to team up with Reese more often in the latter series. And,
when Reese and Malcolm leave home, Dewey neatly fits into the mischevious son spot (not that he hadn't been there before, but now he was the 'ringleader', and is getting Jamie involved)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
In addition - two different people both given the same education would not retain the same amount of information. The one who retained more, I would say, is smarter. At least, they are more intelligent :)

I disagree. I would argue that one simply has a larger capacity for short-term memory. Is a person with a photographic memory automatically fit to be a rocket scientist? Is a mentally challenged person dumb even though he can play the piano like a prodigy?

this example could be used to argue that Malcolm is more observant than Dewey...
True, or perhaps Dewey just doesn't care.

Alle

Actually, I would say yes :)

Knowing things is a big part of an IQ test.

Knowledge can be an advantage for various reasons, but it is not an actual part of intelligence. One could take an I.Q. test twice and the results from each one might might differ from a few points. If literates were truely smarter than those without their education, than how did Temujin (the future Genghis Khan) defeat in war the armies of China and Islamic Samarkand, whose leaders and generals were very likely well-read? My point here is that while general education is helpful, it does not alone make you any brighter than you are. But from here, lets not stray from the main topic.

For sure, Dewey is shown to be more gifted than your average kid at the same age! I have no disagreements there :)

But, it is a different giftedness than what Malcom has. To say it is 'better' is, I believe, simply incorrect. As always, we can only go from what we have seen - and that is that Malcom is super smart. He is great at mathematics, science, even history, from the pilot, we are shown he has artistic talent above the rest of the class, and
we also see that he has a great affinity for dancing.
He was the smartest of the Krelboyne class (and by the look of it, by a lot - see "Emancipation"), as well as being shown to be smarter than the ex-Krelboyne teacher, Mr. Herkabe
especially in "Malcolm Defends Reese", where it looks like he can beat Herkabe's score without much effort, whereas Herkabe strained and studied like crazy to get there.

Dewey simply doesn't have the same achievements.

Like I said, we know practically nothing of Dewey's achievements in school. So its hard to judge either's intelligence on that front. I'm all to well aware of Malcolm's progress, we know enough of Reese's progress, or lack thereoff, and we know that Francis' schoolwork was, at best, of an average calibre, but all we know of Dewey's experience is that he spent a year in the Busey class, and he definately didn't stay there as long as he did for his own benefit. But his school at one point deemed him clever enough to be considered for the Krelboyne class, and for all we know, perhaps he did eventually make it. It is speculation, yes, but there is no reason to doubt it either.

That is indeed possible, but as it is not shown, it is just a theory ;) 'Arguing from silence' wont win you your point.
You might as well say that Jamie is smarter than Malcolm because he learnt to do the 'pretend to throw chocolate' trick with Reece whilst 2, and it took Malcolm until 5 to learn that. I don't think this works either - not only is Reece older, but Jamie has more brothers to learn from :)

Alot of Dewey's schemes were done independently. And their success was often due to him not bragging about to anyone. He trusts himself more than he does others. His silence on certain matters has helped him out enormously. Whats more, he can think on the spot how to improve the situation he's in, while Malcolm spends precious moments weighing the pros and cons. The main defining difference between Malcolm and Dewey's intelligence, I think, is that Dewey is an innovator and creator. Most of what he achieved was entirely scaled down in his own mind before it appeared in reality. While Malcolm, as well educated as he is, is hard put to construct something without some instructive guidelines available. Do you think that some inventor or artist without the benefit of formal education from a previous age has a lesser intellect than some descending scholer who knows all about that persons achievements, but not themselves capable of the same creative standards? I would not have thought so. As for Jamie, while he does seem to be very intelligent in his own right, its to early to figure out how he will manage as he gets older.

Oh...
and in "Hal Grieves", it is Reece and Dewey who are milking their father. Malcolm spots Hal's problem before the others, and cares about it too. Until the car... :drool: But this example could be used to argue that Malcolm is more observant than Dewey...

So yes, Dewey is gifted, but is he smarter or more intelligent than Malcolm? I still think not. Will he succeed more in life? Probably, because he does not have some of Malcolm's more annoying traits :laugh:

Malcolm, like Dewey, is very selective about the empathy he has with others.
For Dewey and Reese, it was the first time Hal has been so open with his money. They didn't know, or more likely cared, if Hal was going through some emotional turmoil. For them, something like Hal's spending spree may never happen again, so obviously they were going to make the most of it before it all disappears. And like you stated, even Malcolm ceased caring about Hal's state of mind the second he was offered a car. I must say, though that when it comes to empathy, Malcolm and Dewey are about even.

comedy_gurl

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Malcolm is definately smarter in IQ and also in stress situations remember the episode where the boys went to therapy in season 3 because hal thought they had damaged his car? well dewey and reese said how malcolm always gets them out of bad situations which suggests his smart in the real world as well. yea so dewey can manipulate and stuff he is much musically talented than malcolm but malcolm is smarter- IQ and in the real world.

Alle

One epsiode in Season Three. Thats it? Back then, no one, not even Dewey himself, realized how clever he was. He had no faith in himself in those days, and perhaps viewed himself in the eyes of others. No one took him seriously, so he had no choice but to rely on Malcolm's judgement in certain situations. In time however, he started using his brain, took more control of his life, discovered alot of things about himself and finally recognized his own potential. Also, that psychologist, for much of the episode, seemed to be only helping out Malcolm, even though all three were there for the therapy. If he exclusively helps out the one patient, then he clearly isn't very good at his job despite the esteem he held himself in.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Wow....I started this thread, like, A YEAR AGO, and it's still being discussed! Cool!
Anyways, I'll state my position from a year ago. Sometimes, given Malcolm's IQ, he acts like a moron, and I think in general terms, Dewey is actually alot smarter or wiser, rather.

hvg3akaek

I disagree. I would argue that one simply has a larger capacity for short-term memory.
Ah well, then i see little point in continuing :) If we cannot even agree on what "smart" means, we will just be at odds!

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Malcolm is definately smarter in IQ and also in stress situations remember the episode where the boys went to therapy in season 3 because hal thought they had damaged his car? well dewey and reese said how malcolm always gets them out of bad situations which suggests his smart in the real world as well. yea so dewey can manipulate and stuff he is much musically talented than malcolm but malcolm is smarter- IQ and in the real world.
Yep, thankyou!

Rewatching the earlier seasons on the weekend (finally managed to get the wife hooked :D ), and the circus one really showed it to me again. Here are a bunch of super-smart kids, and malcolm is clearly in a league of his own. they all greet him as someone very special, and his 'act' is clearly way above anyone else's. (stevie even comments about how hard it is to follow him).

elsewhere, when they get the new teacher, it is malcolm who uses this gap to cause all the rest of the class to break down.

he also has a 'gift' for (at least) Shakespeare, being able to read through it in a way that woos / impresses the entire class.

Simply put, the other Krelboynes look up to him (and dewey has to question if he is a robot!). Dewey only ever had a *chance* to get into the special class. If he showed the same abilities as Malcolm - even if he showed the same abilities as other Krelboynes, he would be easily moved into the class. And yes, he had the opportunity to do so outside of the busey's class.

One epsiode in Season Three. Thats it?
So, clearly, no. That is not it. Time and time again we are shown how crazily smart Malcolm is - I think, given what we saw, the initial 165 IQ was on the low side. (those tests often have a failing on the ceiling side, that is, there is a hard maximum you can't go above) In high school, it was suggested that Malcolm simply didn't get an answer wrong. Ever. How can you truly grade that?

And what do we have for Dewey? There are cases where he tricks others, or comes out on top in brother vs brother schemes, but these are not down to intelligence, and often show failings in Malcolm's personality rather than greatness in Dewey.

So - lots of evidence for Malcolm's high level of smartness, not much for Dewey's. Conclusion - Malcolm is smarter than Dewey.