Who's smarter? Dewey or Malcolm? - Page 2
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's smarter? Dewey or Malcolm?

Default Re: Who's smarter? Dewey or Malcolm?

LOL if you still have the original family files, you ought to share them with us--I'd like to give that a try.

Dewey being revealed as a genius was a turning point in the season for me.
    Unlike Malcolm though, he wasn't inclined to yap about how smart he is. The kid would often downplay his own brilliance to everyone else so as to maintain a semblance of freedom and independence, whereas Malcolm gets manipulated by Lois within seconds into changing his career goals from microbiologist to U.S. president. Unlike Malcolm, who was mentioned in every episode as being a genius as if it was going out of fashion, Dewey didn't need to have that reminded of him too. We all know full well that he is. It didn't seem too long ago that Dewey was a sweet, sheltered naive kid, who was beaten, manipulated and treated like crap by his brothers. Than we see episodes like "Army Buddy" and "A.A." where he carries himself with such confidence whilst tricking and manipulating everyone around him into doing his bidding with comtemptous ease. There are those that don't like how Dewey was "suddenly" labled as a genius. Well if you saw his character way back in season two, it seems that the writers were at least toying with the idea for quite some time. How would it look if Dewey at twelve or thirteen years old would still be acting in the manner as was natural for him at the age of six? I for one, am pleased with the fact that the Dewey character had grown to supersede Malcolm intellectually. It was a pleasure seeing Dewey overcome his own insecurities and young age, and the largely indifferent attitude his family often seems to display to him. Even though the shows finished, it isn't hard to imagine someone with Dewey's brains and talents would have a very bright future.
    Last edited by Alle; May 6, 2007 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alle View Post
    It didn't seem too long ago that Dewey was a sweet, sheltered naive kid, who was beaten, manipulated and treated like crap by his brothers.
    When Jamie came along Dewey assured him that he'll screw him over the way Malcolm and Reese had done to him ("Watching The Baby"), but as we saw in "Morp", two seasons later, his intention was not to make Jamie suffer, but instead to make sure Jamie had a much better childhood than his. Although he still had some 'child-like' qualities, I thought Dewey was mature for his age.

Indeed. Dewey's opinions of what was right and fair had changed in the two years between "Watching the Baby" and "Morp". It doesn't matter that Jamie not being treated like s**t does not conform with his earlier notions of fairness, but Dewey did not deserve to be treated like s**t by his brothers either. Doing what he did for Jamie was simply the right thing to do.

Malcolm often showed his intelligence, Dewey never did that, he seems to be very gifted when it comes to music, but not science and stuff where Malcolm is the best as we know

I'd say Malcolm's smarter
    Sig made by x-KaleyRocks-x

I suppose then it wasn't very smart of Dewey when he orchestrated a savage smear campaign that tarnished the reputation of that kid in "Hal Sleepwalks"? In "Army Buddy" not only did he find out a certain comic that Malcolm had earlier beqeauthed him was worth thousands, but used the money to bribe Malcolm into doing humiliating things for his own amusement, knowing that his brother's need for money yet outstripped his ego. Whats more, Dewey, not clever-clever Malcolm, was the one to discover this. In "Malcolm Visits College", Dewey single-handedly constructed a working piano out of random household items. Yes, I'm sure thats just normal. In "A.A", Reese and Malcolm were outwitted by Dewey when he convinced them that he swallowed Hal's spare car-keys, then took off in his dad's car, while his brothers were left to sift through his feces. I take it that its normal for ten or eleven year-olds to be writing operas, then? And what of the scavenger hunt that Dewey put Lois and Hal through in "Morp". But if Dewey doesn't know his maths and science, then SURELY he can't be as clever as Malcolm. That is, of course, if you know this for sure.
    Last edited by Alle; May 6, 2007 at 04:38 PM.

I suppose then it wasn't very smart of Dewey when he orchestrated a savage smear campaign that tarnished the reputation of that kid in "Hal Sleepwalks"? In "Army Buddy" not only did he find out a certain comic that Malcolm had earlier beqeauthed him was worth thousands, but used the money to bribe Malcolm into doing humiliating things for his own amusement, knowing that his brother's need for money yet outstripped his ego. Whats more, Dewey, not clever-clever Malcolm, was the one to discover this. In "Malcolm Visits College", Dewey single-handedly constructed a working piano out of random household items. Yes, I'm sure thats just normal. In "A.A", Reese and Malcolm were outwitted by Dewey when he convinced them that he swallowed Hal's spare car-keys, then took off in his dad's car, while his brothers were left to sift through his feces. I take it that its normal for ten or eleven year-olds to be writing operas, then? And what of the scavenger hunt that Dewey put Lois and Hal through in "Morp". But if Dewey doesn't know his maths and science, then SURELY he can't be as clever as Malcolm. That is, of course, if you know this for sure.
    calm down... ... Hi, I'm new here
    I suppose what it comes down to is how you define 'smart'... there are many kind of smartnesses (?) - you can be musically talented, street wise etc etc, and every character in MITM have their own unique smartness... you can't compare malcolm's smartness in discovering the special enzyme (ok, maybe that was reese, ) or topping the school with dewey's smartness in manipulation (street wise) or music... They are all different, unique, and incomparable

I think Dewey is smarter. Malcolm as far as we know, does have a higher IQ, but he does some very stupid things. Dewey thinks out decisions, and doesn't get himself in trouble.

I don't reckon I.Q. tests, as they are done, are an accurate way of determining the quality of one's intellect. If you took it more than twice, how do you know that the two seperate results would match each other? I would not need a piece of paper to tell me how intelligent some one is. Its clear to me that, judging by the things he says and what he does, that Dewey is indeed the brighter of the two. Compared to Malcolm, we know precious little about how well Dewey performs in his schoolwork. But on that side, I think the writers of the show were deliberately vague about Dewey's academic excellence, since that was mostly supposed to be Malcolm's bag and they did not really want to diminish his importance for the sake of Dewey's character development. While Malcolm may be touted by Lois and Hal to be the family's "only hope", Dewey purposefully acts under their radar and downplays his own intelligence as much as possble. One might think that it irks him not to be held in the same high esteem as his parents hold for his brother, but in truth, I think Dewey prefers going mostly unnoticed. He enjoys his freedom, I think, more than he would have Lois and Hal having such high hopes for him that they would try to decide and control his future for him as the did with Malcolm. If replacing him as the family's "golden boy" means having his personal freedom and independence curtailed by Lois, than Dewey would not be so stupid to influence that kind of outcome. Put it this way, if Malcolm's destiny is to become President of the United States, he still wouldn't fulfil that destiny until he is well into his forties. Whereas Dewey may likely become rich and famous years before Malcolm makes it in politics.

Malcolm would never really make it in politics at all. He is a bookworm, scientist type with limited social skills. Lois clearly knew this in other episodes. I think the whole point of graduation was more of a motivational speech then what really would happen.

Dewey is more of an artistic genius.