Who's smarter? Dewey or Malcolm?
Malcolm in the Middle Voting Community Forum Episode Guide Gallery Watch & Download Episodes Home FAQ About Contact Home Store

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's smarter? Dewey or Malcolm?

Default Who's smarter? Dewey or Malcolm?

Simple but incredible question seeing as how this whole show was built around the "boy genius" Malcolm. But after seeing this season and episodes from the last two seasons(5 and 6), I got to ask the question of who is smarter, Malcolm or Dewey?
    My personal opinion is that Dewey is A LOT smarter than Malcolm is. In recent episodes, Malcolm just does really stupid crap that you don't think a genius would do(like in the earlier episode, Morp). Malcolm in the past two seasons seems like he's becoming a complete dumbass, whilst Dewey comes up with genius plans to get what he wants, like when him and the other boys and Hal were at that wedding thing and Dewey went around getting all those people to get mad at Hal for forgetting his birthday...genius! Or when Dewey made Reese thought he was going to China by keeping him in a crate all weekend...genius! Or in "Morp" earlier, when he dragged Hal and Lois everywhere because he had all of Hal's credit cards and cash and made them get lots of crap all for Jaime...genius!
    Anyway, who's smarter?

Default Re: Who's smarter? Dewey or Malcolm?

I actually do not think Malcolm is that wize, or have any comon sense (maybe that is a bit extreme, maybe he just lacks 'street smarts'). Dewey is by far the smartest. After all he wrote and directed an entire musical drama (remember the one based off his parents), and i bet if Malcolm attempted to do that, he will not finish becuase he would be too worried about minor issues, and will have his ego get in the way and it will be a failure. and I think Dewey is a complex individual, although not as complex as Reese's many sides.
    Follow Malcolm in the Middle cast members on Twitter: twitter.com/MITM/cast

Be fans of Justin Berfeild's (Reese) new production company, Virgin Produced on Facebook and Twitter

and while you are at it, add me on facebook and twitter

I think Malcolm is smarter, but has much less common sense, which Dewey has a ton of.

Just Watch episde 2x06 - convention and you will see who Dewey is!!!!
    He is far the best character in the show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although malcolm is smart i think Dewey in his own way .
    Also dewey is much more independant. from what i have seen of him he doent rely on people as much as malcolm does.

Reese: Well today my mom lost her mind

I think it depends what you mean by smarter.

Malcolm is definatly smarter IQ wise, but when it comes to "the real world" he is to caught up in peoples views of him, which always gets in the way. Whereas with Dewey we are led to believe he too has a high IQ, but he doesn't focus on trivial matters and let them get in his way. Also right from the first season we have seen Dewey's manipulational skills.

If I had to decide I would have to say that Dewey was the smarter one and would be more successful and HAPPY in life, whereas Malcolm will always be bitter but very smart

They're both geniuses, but in completely different ways. Malcolm is a genius in the traditional sense of the word. He has book smarts and is capable of an extremely high level of thought when it comes to academics. However, he's lacking in common sense and often fails to see what's going on right in front of him. He also has a difficult time figuring out the best way to deal with everyday pressures as we've seen several times in the past, most recently in "Stevie in the Hospital" and "Morp."

Dewey is obviously a musical genius--that's a given. We don't know if he's an academic genius since he never retook the test for the Krelboyne class. Even so, he's still a genius when it comes to "street smarts" (as Alex said). He thinks quickly and efficiently when put on the spot (unlike Malcolm) and he can easily think out every little detail of a complex plan--mainly to manipulate people. Malcolm, on the other hand, is often irrational under pressure. When it comes to planning something he's similiar to Reese because he often needs instant gratification, much like we saw from his actions in AA.

To answer the question earlier, this is a question of not only "street smarts" but the IQ type, also. I think Dewey beats Malcolm in both. It's just that if you take a look at this seasons episodes and episodes from seasons five and six, Malcolm always does this stupid crap that backfires whilst Dewey comes up with these magnificent plans, such as in "Morp", that mainly go his way. Something tells me if the show went on, Malcolm would end up being a depressed lonely smart guy whilst Dewey would become a very successful happy guy.
    I better stop, Im slamming Malcolm wayyy to much!

Quote Originally Posted by tony_montana
    To answer the question earlier, this is a question of not only "street smarts" but the IQ type, also. I think Dewey beats Malcolm in both. It's just that if you take a look at this seasons episodes and episodes from seasons five and six, Malcolm always does this stupid crap that backfires whilst Dewey comes up with these magnificent plans, such as in "Morp", that mainly go his way. Something tells me if the show went on, Malcolm would end up being a depressed lonely smart guy whilst Dewey would become a very successful happy guy.
    I better stop, Im slamming Malcolm wayyy to much!
    No I agree with you on what Malcolm's possible future could be like. Honestly, I could see him killing himself.

Quote Originally Posted by rzombie1988
    No I agree with you on what Malcolm's possible future could be like. Honestly, I could see him killing himself.
    I found it funny in the "Hal Coaches" eppisode (316) when Malcolm plays a computer game similar to "The Sims" on the family computer and recreates his family in the game, and he ends up dying of extreme obesity while the rest of the family survives with no problem.

Whats even mre funny is that I did the same thing on The Sims 2, and the parents aged and retired happily, Reese became a successful businessman, Dewey became popular, and Malcolm always wore sweats and sat arround the house all day watching TV and eating junk food. LOL just like the episode almost.
    Follow Malcolm in the Middle cast members on Twitter: twitter.com/MITM/cast

Be fans of Justin Berfeild's (Reese) new production company, Virgin Produced on Facebook and Twitter

and while you are at it, add me on facebook and twitter