Who's smarter? Dewey or Malcolm?

backfence

While Malcolm may have been aware of his circumstances to start with in "Army Buddy", his callowness is what made him lose sight of the fact that Dewey was toying with his pride. Manipulation doesn't always imply that the victim is unaware of whats happening to them.

In "A.A." after doing all they can to persuade Dewey to surrender the car-key to them, they were so desperate for it, precious time was running out, Reese and Malcolm didn't think to explore the possibility that Dewey may be lying to them, which he did. As fun as time at the arcade might have been, he clearly was enjoying himself with his mindgames.

The situation in "Blackout" was that something very simple was denied to him. He only wanted freaking cereal for dinner one evening, only Hal had other ideas superseding Dewey's. So upon learning that everyone had different, conflicting plans, he took matters into his own hands and spiked Reese's food. One would have thought that they realized by now that snubbing Dewey and rubbing his face in it carries its own penalties.

Dewey has evolved from the cute, credulous family underdog, to the most formidable master of psychological warfare ever born. He puts everyone in the shade. Never f**k with Dewey.:lol:

what's important to malcolm isn't whats important to dewey, malcolm knew he was trading in his dignity/self respect but just because he has a 165+ iq doesn't mean he still wasn't 17, kids need money and unfortunately we never get to see dewey at that girl crazed stage in his life, we see maybe the beginning of the beginnings of it. the manipulation i talk about wanting to see can never happen to malcolm, reese is the perfect example of what malcolm would need to be for the dewey/malcolm manipulation i want because dewey/reese manipulation is what i want just interchanged with malcolm. it can never be possible because malcolm is just too smart and doesn't even trust dewey enough for any superior manipulation to occur.

in a.a they're just teenagers who want the car, NOW, dewey was only 12 or 13 (12 in the beginning of the sixth season, pearl harbor). i'm sure once dewey were to turn 15 or 16+ he'd be just as "crazy" as malcolm and reese are about the car. also he has the ability to play his mind games because his whole family still underestimates him every chance they get, he was born into a family of (then) 4 and with little money or parent supervision he had to find his own definition of fun.

in blackout drugging the whole family was thanks to reese, dewey was just bumbed and looking for revenge and luckily was at the right place at the right time to learn and develop his next move. yes he did one up his own family and outsmart them but then again reese confessed to have done the same thing and we all know reese is a bit slow.

he has evolved by being a student and taking a backseat to his brothers while secretly honing his skills. in the later season we get a chance to watch him exact revenge on his family for the years he's been taking advantage of and dismissed. his finely crafted schemes are made possible by the families ability to still dismiss his capabilities, thats what makes him such a dangerous enemy.

Last edited:

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Hi lil_hustler, welcome to the MITMVC. We look forward to hearing your thoughts. You can pm me, tjpeople or yardgames if you have questions. :)

Alle

what's important to malcolm isn't whats important to dewey, malcolm knew he was trading in his dignity/self respect but just because he has a 165+ iq doesn't mean he still wasn't 17, kids need money and unfortunately we never get to see dewey at that girl crazed stage in his life, we see maybe the beginning of the beginnings of it. the manipulation i talk about wanting to see can never happen to malcolm, reese is the perfect example of what malcolm would need to be for the dewey/malcolm manipulation i want because dewey/reese manipulation is what i want just interchanged with malcolm. it can never be possible because malcolm is just too smart and doesn't even trust dewey enough for any superior manipulation to occur.

in a.a they're just teenagers who want the car, NOW, dewey was only 12 or 13 (12 in the beginning of the sixth season, pearl harbor). i'm sure once dewey were to turn 15 or 16+ he'd be just as "crazy" as malcolm and reese are about the car. also he has the ability to play his mind games because his whole family still underestimates him every chance they get, he was born into a family of (then) 4 and with little money or parent supervision he had to find his own definition of fun.

in blackout drugging the whole family was thanks to reese, dewey was just bumbed and looking for revenge and luckily was at the right place at the right time to learn and develop his next move. yes he did one up his own family and outsmart them but then again reese confessed to have done the same thing and we all know reese is a bit slow.

he has evolved by being a student and taking a backseat to his brothers while secretly honing his skills. in the later season we get a chance to watch him exact revenge on his family for the years he's been taking advantage of and dismissed. his finely crafted schemes are made possible by the families ability to still dismiss his capabilities, thats what makes him such a dangerous enemy.

Dewey has different tactics in dealing with certain people. Malcolm may not trust him, but as you say, he doesn't take him seriously either, much to his detriment. All those times Dewey had an advantage over him, Malcolm should have learned that giving an inch to his younger brother is not a good idea. Dewey will always some how find some weakness of Malcolm's to exploit.

I've no doubt he will have the same needs of his brothers once he reaches that age, but if he keeps his head, he won't make the same stupid mistakes as them. By the way, I do believe he turned twelve in season seven. Lois vaguely mentioned Dewey as being ten or eleven in "Chad's Sleepover". While having his family largely ignore him is something of a mixed blessing, he still handled himself in them situations in such a manner that it evoked admiration in those that witnessed it.

While Reese was the one that stupidly gave away the recipe of his plan in "Blackout" in Dewey's presence, Malcolm should have too realized that Dewey might either betray them to Hal and Lois, or do something to his own design. At any rate Malcolm is just as guilty as Reese for that indiscretion.

The fact that his family consistantly ignore and dismiss him makes it all the more easier for Dewey to exact his revenge at leisure. I'm sure that after a while he would find them less of a challenge because they're too stupid to learn their lesson.

backfence

Dewey has different tactics in dealing with certain people. Malcolm may not trust him, but as you say, he doesn't take him seriously either, much to his detriment. All those times Dewey had an advantage over him, Malcolm should have learned that giving an inch to his younger brother is not a good idea. Dewey will always some how find some weakness of Malcolm's to exploit.

I've no doubt he will have the same needs of his brothers once he reaches that age, but if he keeps his head, he won't make the same stupid mistakes as them. By the way, I do believe he turned twelve in season seven. Lois vaguely mentioned Dewey as being ten or eleven in "Chad's Sleepover". While having his family largely ignore him is something of a mixed blessing, he still handled himself in them situations in such a manner that it evoked admiration in those that witnessed it.

While Reese was the one that stupidly gave away the recipe of his plan in "Blackout" in Dewey's presence, Malcolm should have too realized that Dewey might either betray them to Hal and Lois, or do something to his own design. At any rate Malcolm is just as guilty as Reese for that indiscretion.

The fact that his family consistantly ignore and dismiss him makes it all the more easier for Dewey to exact his revenge at leisure. I'm sure that after a while he would find them less of a challenge because they're too stupid to learn their lesson.

reese is the stupid one always in trouble, malcolm is the smart one with the personal life issues, jamie is the baby, fracis is out of the house and dewey is?
dewey has been forgotten, atleast when he was the youngest he still got some attention but basically when jamie made an appearance dewey's character shifted from the little cute one to the master of revenge. dewey has taken it upon himself to make sure that jamie will not be forgotten by his parents, to make sure that they'll "remember" to remember they have another kid who maybe needs their help too.

whether it's a good thing that dewey was forgotten or whether it will later turn out into a bad thing we'll never know but for the last couple seasons it was fun watching him scheme and take revenge when he feels slighted.

Alle

reese is the stupid one always in trouble, malcolm is the smart one with the personal life issues, jamie is the baby, fracis is out of the house and dewey is?
dewey has been forgotten, atleast when he was the youngest he still got some attention but basically when jamie made an appearance dewey's character shifted from the little cute one to the master of revenge. dewey has taken it upon himself to make sure that jamie will not be forgotten by his parents, to make sure that they'll "remember" to remember they have another kid who maybe needs their help too.

I know who they all are.

whether it's a good thing that dewey was forgotten or whether it will later turn out into a bad thing we'll never know but for the last couple seasons it was fun watching him scheme and take revenge when he feels slighted.

Why would you think it would be a good thing for him to be forgotten?

backfence

if i didn't make certain references to episodes or bring my point across my posts would be two lines with no examples or episode summary to back them up.

well considering how francis turned out maybe it's best his parents "forget" about him, it may give him a chance to be normal in the future.

Gouki

if i didn't make certain references to episodes or bring my point across my posts would be two lines with no examples or episode summary to back them up.

well considering how francis turned out maybe it's best his parents "forget" about him, it may give him a chance to be normal in the future.

We get it. Lois and Hal are the worst parents ever in the history of everything.

Alle

I'm sorry but I don't think I take your meaning. To forget about anyone of their own children would defeat the object of them becoming good parents. It would certanly render your other argument of Lois' and Hal's lack of parenting skills a contradiction in terms if you advocate this. Also, that argument should be discussed in the appropriate thread. This one is about how Malcolm and Dewey compare to each other.

trapzo

I think Malcolm is smarter in school only sometimes he has good ideas.

but Dewey is like the oldest brother Francis always knows what to do in case if he need to make a point.

Nico21

I think he means Malcolm has an important knowledge, but Dewey is more able to deal with the issues he's involved in, and to defend himself.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
I think Malcolm is smarter in school only sometimes he has good ideas.

but Dewey is like the oldest brother Francis always knows what to do in case if he need to make a point.

Welcome to the MITMVC, if you need help with anything just PM me, yardgames or Wildcat.

Alle

Where to begin? Well first off, there is a fine line between education and intelligence. How you rate this plethora of academic knowledge against a wealth of practical but pivotal know-how that anyone would come to rely on is depending on which one matters at the time.

Secondly, like I've mentioned several times in this thread already, Malcolm is the only one of the persons discussed here who's record of educational achievement is common knowledge amongst fans. You cannot rate him against someone who's knowledge or education is, at best, barely hinted at.

At the start of the series, it would have been very hard to predict the direction of Dewey's character. In fact, he was quite similar in personality to "Ralph Wiggum" of the "Simpsons" if you think about it. Remember how silly, sheltered and generally misguided and naive he used to be in Season One? But of course, if the series was going to last, then the shows writers had to plan what next to do with him because as the actor portraying him ages, it would become very unfeasible to leave him exactly in the same aspect as he was at the time. Reportably, there were some viewers who speculated that Dewey had "Aspergers Syndrome". I'm sure that the scriptwriters only intended to portray the innocence and impressionibility of a child at Dewey's age. How would it look if they went along with comtemporary fan sentiment, and chose to portray Dewey in such a risible element? They would have perhaps gained some negative publicity if everyone thought they were milking a real-life mental condition for comedic effect. As early as Season Two, the writers were grooming the character in question for change. Of all the directions they could have taken him, they chose to make him into the second genius in the family. I personally approve of this direction in character development, because as well as being a counter-weight to Malcolm's arrogance, it explained alot of things about why Dewey always behaves in the manner that he does. Of course, the problem there was that there may have been a possible reptition and recycling of past storylines if Dewey simply repeated Malcolm's experience through school, so instead of sending him straight to the Krelboyne section, a situation was created to demote him to the Busey asylum for at least a year. To further deferentiate them, Malcolm and Dewey had seperate core interests. Malcolm would still be known for his science, and Dewey has his musical skills. They are only different interests though, not a straight-forward means of comparing intellectual capability. They only highlight personality, not either characters thinking ability. Some people here have made that mistake.

Last edited:

yardgames

Retired Administrator
As much as I often disagree with you, Alle, you always present solid arguments and back up your ideas with solid fact. I completely agree with you here. The dynamics of the characters are one of the things that makes this show great because season 1 and season 7, from a character perspective, are not at all similar. And in season 1, we know that Malcolm is smarter. But as you've mentioned, the answer in season 7 depends upon your interpretation of the question.

Alle

However firm any of us are in our own convictions, there is no escaping the possibility that someone other will have an alternate theory or opinion. Regardless of whether any such opinions are valid. Aside from the examples I previously cited here, Dewey's change in character was what got me watching the series again. Being the deadpan, complex and gifted but largely ignored younger son was a far cry from the credulous and shy introvert as well as being more likable and entertaining to watch. It made me regret missing the show in the first place.

MalcolmFun

Dewey's change in character was what got me watching the series again. Being the deadpan, complex and gifted but largely ignored younger son was a far cry from the credulous and shy introvert as well as being more likable and entertaining to watch. It made me regret missing the show in the first place.

I think you are highlighting just one small aspect of what made these characters realistic (despite thier outrageousness at times!). The writers really did have a firm grasp of realistic psychology. They didn't just invent random characters and put through them in crazy situations as it might appear at first glance. Thier place in the family really did define who they became.

Lois is a control freak who defines how well her family is doing by how much she is in control of it. She is the authority and no one is allowed to interfere with that. We only see this turn around in graduation.

Hal always maintains a proactive wait and see aproach.

Francis defines his whole life by rebelling against authority and his mother.

Reese is the ultimate care-free person who doesnt think about consequences. Does whater he happens to think is right (or fun!) at the time - just like Lois.

Malcolm and Dewey are interesting because theoretically they could have been clones of each other when they were about 7 years old. They are both introverted, shy, opinionated, socially awkward and intellectual. I think what happened is Reese got Malcolm out of his shell as we seen in several episodes as Reese beats up people who make fun of Malcolm. This allowed him to express whatever he is thinking all of the time without any fear of being rebutted and hence he gets the label whiny arrogant know-it-all. In truth he was insecure and his image of arrogance shattered anytime he was confronted with anyone who doesnt like him. Dewey on the other hand was more alone as there are 5 or 6 years between him and Reese. He had to figure out how to deal with people and overcome his social awkwardness on his own. By season 4 or 5 he is a master manipulator that plays other people like pupets.

I still think it is more appropriate to call Malcolm as being more intellectual as he has interest in science and math. If someone is a musical and artisitic genius and good with social sciences I think "intellect" is an improper description of that. It is more in the realm of creativity.

Last edited:

Alle

I mean "intellect" as in simply a high level of intelligence, not an intellectual scholar in an abstract sense. Not someone who persues knowledge for its own sake. He might have casual interest some such criteria, but music and the arts will always be his first love.

D

Deleted member 1693

I don't mean to be stereotypical, but Malcolm is just a teenager. He has way more social issues and problems than Dewey has during the course of the show.